Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
The new plex is quite a bit thicker than the 4w.

Me thinks the webpage needs an update.

Call Swaro.

Thanks,I'll do that. That could explain my confusion.

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Techsan
I've done a little looking but who currently has the best close-out price on the VX-6 2-12x42 duplex?

Check Ebay.

Cabelas had them on close out, not sure about current status.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My Z5 came with a VERY fine duplex. I didn't think it would work for genl. hunting, so I got it swapped out.

FYI: Swarovski thickened the plex reticle in 2012.

You can determine the year your Swarovski was manufactured by adding 1930 to the first two digits of the SN#.

A scope whose SN# begins with MC83 for example would be a 2013 model.

The new reticle compares nicely to the VX6 reticle.

Naturally Swaros 4w reticle still remains a bit thinner, yet I have one on my .264 Win Mag.

My 7 Rem Mag wears a 2014 Z5 with the Plex BT.

OTOH my Montana in 280 AI wears a 2-12 VX6, mostly for the eye box and illumination. Plus the 2x is ideal for the Adirondacks. I do not spin turrets on this particular rifle, however.

Good info.

Thanks, will check serial number and DOM when I get home from the office.

If the new Z5 duplex is anything like the VX-6, I'm sure I'd like it.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just picked up a VX6 2-12 firedot for $750, free shipping, can't wait to get it mounted on my .338wm. I loved the Victory HT 1.5-6 that was on there but I'm looking forward to a bit more magnification.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Z5 with Outdoorsmans turret. I learned you can mark yardage on the aluminum discs with a Sharpy, remove with acetone. That's a lot cheaper than a custom turret and can be easily changed.

Below is a Z3 with the Sharpie yardage markings. I don't think I'll ever buy another custom turret.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Z5 with Outdoorsmans turret. I learned you can mark yardage on the aluminum discs with a Sharpy, remove with acetone. That's a lot cheaper than a custom turret and can be easily changed.

Below is a Z3 with the Sharpie yardage markings. I don't think I'll ever buy another custom turret.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for those pictures. It looks good on that rifle.

How does the turret feel to you? I looked at a standard model today without a turret. I removed the caps and played with the finger adjustable standard turret. The clicks were positive enough but it had some wiggle back and forth between clicks.It actually felt pretty loose between clicks,not exactly confidence inspiring.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
R H, the clicks are positive enough, but I never had problems with CDS clicks as some have reported. I don't do a lot of twisting.

The turret is OK, just costs a good bit to change loads.

This gun is a 6.5-284/26" Kreiger with a dedicated 140 gr Hunting VLD load over 48 gr. RL-17 at 3K fps. It's half MOA, so I'm not looking for another load.

I could always put the aluminum discs back in place, get out the Sharpie and have it looking like the Z3 pictured above. I already had the turret before I figured out the Sharpie trick.

A Sharpie costs much less than a turret... cool

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My Z5 came with a VERY fine duplex. I didn't think it would work for genl. hunting, so I got it swapped out.

FYI: Swarovski thickened the plex reticle in 2012.

You can determine the year your Swarovski was manufactured by adding 1930 to the first two digits of the SN#.

A scope whose SN# begins with MC83 for example would be a 2013 model.

The new reticle compares nicely to the VX6 reticle.

Naturally Swaros 4w reticle still remains a bit thinner, yet I have one on my .264 Win Mag.

My 7 Rem Mag wears a 2014 Z5 with the Plex BT.

OTOH my Montana in 280 AI wears a 2-12 VX6, mostly for the eye box and illumination. Plus the 2x is ideal for the Adirondacks. I do not spin turrets on this particular rifle, however.

Great info, thanks for posting.

I figure mine to be 2010, which would predate the 2012 reticle revision.

DF

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
DF,

Take a look through one of the newer Z5 scopes.

I think you'll find the plex reticle compares favorably to that of the VX6.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Z5 I just looked at had the BRH reticle. I didn't get to view it in low light but it didn't seen too thin to me.It wasn't much thinner than some I've used in other scopes.

I looked at a Zeiss Conquest HD5 with RZ800 side by side. in comparrison the Zeiss reticle was so thick I wasn't sure I would like it for long range. It was much thicker than a Leupold duplex,possibly even close to a heavy duplex.

DF
I see how you used a sharpie on the turret. I guess I don't really understand why you didn't just set the colored ring dots to be where your sharpie marks were. I've not used that turret,just seen videos,maybe I'm missing something about exactly how the colored dots on the rings work.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The Z5 I just looked at had the BRH reticle. I didn't get to view it in low light but it didn't seen too thin to me.It wasn't much thinner than some I've used in other scopes.

I looked at a Zeiss Conquest HD5 with RZ800 side by side. in comparrison the Zeiss reticle was so thick I wasn't sure I would like it for long range. It was much thicker than a Leupold duplex,possibly even close to a heavy duplex.

DF
I see how you used a sharpie on the turret. I guess I don't really understand why you didn't just set the colored ring dots to be where your sharpie marks were. I've not used that turret,just seen videos,maybe I'm missing something about exactly how the colored dots on the rings work.

I do use the dots, but there are only three of them and I like marks at 50 yd. increments, thus the Sharpie. I want/need more than three reference points from 200 yds to 5/600 yds. depending on the round.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
DF,

Take a look through one of the newer Z5 scopes.

I think you'll find the plex reticle compares favorably to that of the VX6.

I would like to do just that.

But, with the price differential, my next Z5 would probably be a VX-6...

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

DF

Anyone thinking the BRH reticle is too thin, may be thinking of the BRX reticle, which is much thinner.

I agree with R.H. I guess I don't see why you would "sharpie" the turret over just using the colored dots.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I didn't answer R H's question on how the dots work. After taking the rings off the turret, you place the three dots at specified yardages such as 300, 400 and 500, using a 200 yd. zero. You calculate the clicks for 300 yds., drop the first or bottom ring in place with the dot lined up at the rear of the turret. Then dial in the clicks for the next yardage, drop the next disc in place with the dot lined up with the reference mark. Third one and you're done. Replace the top cap and go shoot.

I had to return the Z5 to Swaro when a small plastic clip broke, the piece that holds the turret in place. That seemed pretty flemsy for a high dollar scope, but they fixed it.

I've sent more Kahles and Swaro scope for CS to fix something that broke, than Leupolds.

Just saying...

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I didn't answer R H's question on how the dots work. After taking the rings off the turret, you place the three dots at specified yardages such as 300, 400 and 500, using a 200 yd. zero. You calculate the clicks for 300 yds., drop the first or bottom ring in place with the dot lined up at the rear of the turret. Then dial in the clicks for the next yardage, drop the next disc in place with the dot lined up with the reference mark. Third one and you're done. Replace the top cap and go shoot.

I had to return the Z5 to Swaro when a small plastic clip broke, the piece that holds the turret in place. That seemed pretty flemsy for a high dollar scope, but they fixed it.

I've sent more Kahles and Swaro scope for CS to fix something that broke, than Leupolds.

Just saying...

DF

Thanks for that explanation.The Swaro Z5 fits my weight and magnification desires better than anything else except possibly the scope I'm using now.

When I bought the Forbes,my plan was to use a 3X9 SWFA but the ejection on this rifle is so steep that I couldn't use those turrets with any height Talley lightweights. I took my 10 year old VXII 4-12X40 AO fine duplex off my rimfire and mounted it just to see how the rifle would shoot. I like the size and weight of that scope if the fine duplex is a little too thin. I've used that scope temporarily on several deer rifles until I could buy another. I've killed deer with it from 20-400 yards.I just don't like the reticle for the very last light.

The Z5 has been my pick because it's only 2 ounces heavier than that VXII. I just now looked at a VX2 4-12 with AO ,the windplex reticle and a turret. It's 1/3 the price of the Z5. I know the Z5 glass is better but hearing about your plastic ring breaking,and having felt the play in the Z5 adjustments for myself has me wondering just how much better the Z5 is mechanically that that VX2.

I don't dial my current VXII but it has been solid for 10 years on several deer rifles and hundreds of rounds. I would only occasionally dial anything on the Forbes. I live where long shots aren't much of a possibility. I just wanted a turret in case I ever do take the rifle to a different state. I honestly wish I had a little more confidence in the build quality of the Z5. I'm starting to think it costs 3 times as much as a VX2 but is only slightly, possibly better mechanically.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree with the ability to twist if needed vs. big time twisting like target shooters. Most shots where I hunt don't require a twist, but being prepared, knowing I can, feels good.

I'm not sure I'd pay what a Z5 costs in today's competitive market, but they are good scopes and are light weight.

I've been impressed with the latest VX-2 offerings; they're way better than the older VX-II's, IMO. In fact, VX-2 glass in pretty close to VX-3, at least to my eyes.

I like the CDS, think it's about the best value on the market for a hunter who, like us, isn't a full time/big time turret twister... smile

I've read the CDS complaints, have had no issues. Have read that Leupolds won't return to zero. I have no complaints there either, but my application is evidently different than theirs.

Leupolds may not be as tough as NF and others, but in some cases are about half the weight and much sleeker. Matching scope to rifle for the intended purpose is an art form. Everyone doesn't view art the same way.

DF

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
RH,

Just an FYI; I called Swaro and had a custom dial made for my Z5 that sits atop my 7 Rem Mag this week.

Eliminates the colored dots, just hash marks every 25 yards out to 700.

Cost me $166.

If you order the scope from Outdoorsmans I believe they will create a like turret gratis.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 03/09/17.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
RH,

Just an FYI; I called Swaro and had a custom dial made for my Z5 that sits atop my 7 Rem Mag this week.

Eliminates the colored dots, just hash marks every 25 yards out to 700.

Cost me $166.

If you order the scope from Outdoorsmans I believe they will create a like turret gratis.

Does Outdoorsman make those for Swaro?

Seems I remember them doing so some time back.

DF

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by m_gallopavo
It would be hard to change my opinion that the 2-12x42 VX-6 is the finest all around rifle scope ever made

Really? VX-6 is a great scope but the 2-10x42 Zeiss Diavari pops to mind real quick as something better. The VX-6 is good but not "finest" IME.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
787 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 3,173 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.