Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I thought pictures were required. Especially a pic or 2 of a 24 that has been resurrected - always appreciated hereabouts.

Congrats on your now "new" 24.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Savage and Stevens combination guns have some collector interest, but only for those units in great condition or in an uncommon configuration.

I'd look at a front sight from GPC or Jack First, but instead of the open rear sight, I'd look for a Redfield peep sight that mounts via the grooves in the top barrel. These are alloy sights, maybe the RE-24s? There is also a similar Williams peep sight, maybe the WGRS-24?

If you're interested in the Savage 24s, the best write-up that I've read is Marshall Stanton's article in the Tech Notes section at www.beartoothbullets.com

This "How To" set of instructions may also be of interest to you, as the trigger pull on the Savage 24s of all ages tend to run from bad to worse: http://www.cylindersmith.com/savage24/24trig.html

EDIT: I have a Bushnell 4x20 scope on my .22Mag over 410, attached via B-Square Weaver adapters and B-Square SUV 1" rings.

Yeah, I messed with the trigger on mine. You can't lighten the pull but you can make them break crisper. BTW, getting the trigger assembly back together in the receiver can be tough without using a slave pin. I made one from a finish nail.

Here is mine. .22 mag / 20 ga. It does not look quite as nice as the picture anymore. It is my "4wheeler gun" on the farm.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako Luvr
Very nice ammo carrier! A nice to have with a combo gun.
I went cheapo for my Savage turkey gun and sewed the middle of a couple of shell sleeves to get 4 .22 Hornet sleeves.
My .22 Hornet/12 ga turkey gun:
[Linked Image]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I had one in the past, 22-410 Stevens. I modified a Skinner peep sight to fit it's narrow dovetail.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I will post some pictures shortly. It went from a beat up pawn shop reject to a beautiful rifle / shotgun that I very much intend to keep until my old lady gives it away when I am gone. Hope I can remember how to post pics here!

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by crshelton
Sako Luvr
I went cheapo for my Savage turkey gun and sewed the middle of a couple of shell sleeves to get 4 .22 Hornet sleeves.
[Linked Image]

Was that a factory paint job? or a dealer that did several of them?

I swear my 223/12 ga has the same paint job and I need to look at it. The odd thing is I bought it used in MN from a used gun shop and the dealer told me the guy used it for turkey hunting some other state because rifles are not legal in MN.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blowtorch53

Another question is what size socket is required to take off the buttstock? I tried all I have and it doesn't seem to grab on. Does it take a special tool?

I've worked on a few of these and IIRC all of them had a standard slotted screw holding the buttstock. However, if there's one thing constant about Savage/Stevens combo guns is that every one of them is a little bit different and who knows if somebody got a long bolt at some point and used it. I'd get a nice bright flashlight and take a look.

I usually use a 3/8" drive socket with a large screwdriver point and a LONG extension. The socket fits the hole, keeps the bit centered and there's plenty of torque with the ratchet handle.

Last edited by natman; 04/15/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by crshelton
Sako Luvr
[Linked Image]

Was that a factory paint job? or a dealer that did several of them?

I swear my 223/12 ga has the same paint job and I need to look at it. The odd thing is I bought it used in MN from a used gun shop and the dealer told me the guy used it for turkey hunting some other state because rifles are not legal in MN.

That is the standard camo pattern that Savage put on the plastic stocks and forearms on the 24s and 24Fs. The plastic stocks and forearms came in either black or camo on the 12 gauge guns and in black only on the 20 gauges guns.

Rifles aren't legal for hunting turkeys in NE, but a Savage 24 isn't a rifle if the rifle barrel isn't loaded and the CO doesn't find any rifle ammo in your possession.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Blowtorch53
I will post some pictures shortly. It went from a beat up pawn shop reject to a beautiful rifle / shotgun that I very much intend to keep until my old lady gives it away when I am gone. Hope I can remember how to post pics here!

Still waiting for pictures shocked

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 90 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.