Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes USPS Money Orders are great until there is a problem and then they are terrible.

I am very rural the Post Office never has the funds on hand to cash even $200 money orders.

My local bank puts holds on USPS Money Orders as well as Cashier's Checks. They claim there is just so much forgery.

As others have said anymore there is no benefit to requiring more than a plain old personal check.

My bank clears most personal checks in 24 hours.

If people would spend as much time and energy using technology for good things instead of bad this world would be a better place. I truly believe that computers, especially those connected to the Internet, and specifically social media will be the downfall of our society. These forums are as E-social as I get. I still talk face to face.

Last edited by sbrmike; 12/20/16. Reason: spelling

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Allen917
Originally Posted by thomasconnor
I understand what "Tag" is and means.

Why do so many need to tell the world they "tagged" something?

This thread would probably be a full page less if not for these brilliant "tag" posts. Is there an advantage to building one's post count?...Tom

Because the search function is a real pain in the butt on this site. By tagging, you can find it in your posts much easier.

You been here 4 years and thats all you can say?

My good man, you've been here 10 years and don't know the answer either?

Respectfully, you answered a question that was not asked; indeed your answer was already stipulated in my first sentence: "I understand what tagged is and means."

I'll repeat the question, why do so many need to tell the world that they tagged something? Is it to boost post count?

You can assume, as stated twice now, that I know what "tagged" is should you have insight into the question...thanks...Tom

Last edited by thomasconnor; 01/23/17.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BachelorJack
If the USPS cashes them, it's validity is no longer your problem. Just throwing that out there...

Exactly. I prefer us postal money orders. I take them to the post office and cash them. You are certain it is good. Deposit the money in the bank and mail the item. Perfect.

I was given a bad personal check one time, and it was not fun. The guy was local, bought some old wheel from me. He made good for the money, and it was only $80, but it was not a good feeling.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Highly over rated, I've been burned 1800.00, guy added last name to my money order and informed by postal investagater that it was not fraud?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your bank does not clear the personal check, or bank cashier's check even, with in 24 hours. It may clear your bank, but not the issuing bank. Thats where the problem lies. It may show cleared and deposited into your account, you may even be able to withdraw the funds, but a week later when the issuing bank contacts your bank and tells them the check was counterfeit, your bank will take the funds out of your account. Any personal check or bank cashier's check, I wait a minimum of 2 weeks.

Taking a personal check to a branch of the bank it was drawn off is not a bad idea, but not all banks will cash checks for non-customers. Other than some post offices "claiming" not to have enough cash, it's still one of the quickest way to ensure you get paid prior to shipping.

Last edited by mav007; 03/08/17.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With today's online banking a buyer who pays with a personal check can view their cleared check online (after their bank has paid the check). Rather than waiting weeks, the burden of proving their personal check has cleared is placed on the buyer if they want the item ASAP.

I tell folks I accept personal checks from that I will ship sooner (than two weeks) when they can tell me what my stamp (endorsement) on the back of their check says. Oftentimes it clears their bank in only a couple of days before THEY (the buyer) can view it online.

The only problem is explaining the process to folks who don't know what online banking is. Rather than look online, those folks can call their bank to see if the check was paid, and report to me (as relayed by their teller) what my stamp reads, which tells me it has been paid...Tom

Last edited by thomasconnor; 03/18/17.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

works great.........again

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet Louise, life looks like a real bear for many.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How about Pay Pal Gift friend or family payout for cash?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tfunge
How about Pay Pal Gift friend...?

That is a red flag that someone is a liar and a cheat.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just walk into my local post office and they scan it for me, before I "take it to the bank."

Savage99F358

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TAG

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
tag

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
H
H
Tag

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For gods sakes.... You guys have got to stop with these ridiculous freaking things.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice!! And thank you!

“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
― Thomas Jefferson
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Thanks

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Had this type of thing happened to me on a gun sell. The buyer issued a personal check from his credit union. I called his credit union to verify that the check had cleared his account and would not give out that information. So he called them and got me on a conference call at the same time and his credit union would only tell him that there were enough funds in the account to cover the check but would not tell him if the check had cleared the account or not. So, I waited another week before shipping the gun to his FFL dealer in hope that the check had cleared his bank, because I had no way of verifying if it actually had or not. So a lesson learned for me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nearly-retarded individuals abound.....

Thanks for the number TallPine.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I refuse to accept or send postal money orders. You haven't been jerked around until the post office loses one; or it fails to show up.

Amen. Some clerks won't even cash a big one because they are so afraid it could be fake. They are responsible for every money order they cash, so they give excuses like they don't have enough money in the till, come back never, take it to your bank etc. etc.. USPS money orders and the post office are a damn joke in regards to how they will not help you if there is a problem with fraudulent money orders or problems in shipping.

In that pit right now. And they charged me $6.15 to go look for the postal money order that they lost with my certified mail!

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/16/19.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 25 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.