Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a custom rifle built on a fn mauser action. The safety on the left is in the tradition place, the part i cant figure out is that it does not move to straight up, or all the way over to the right.
it is engaged at about the 10.00 position.
anybody every heard of this?
at first i thought the scope body was blocking it, but looking closer it is engaged with no contact to the scope, but close.
Don't think i have ever seen this before.
the gun was built by henrickson in montana.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
The safety on the left is in the tradition place, the part i cant figure out is that it does not move to straight up, or all the way over to the right.
it is engaged at about the 10.00 position.
anybody every heard of this?

Left side Buehler style low swing safety. Sears JC Higgins M50 FN actions use them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep pretty normal a "Low Swing" safety for scope mounting. Buehler and others have made this style for years. You could change it to a "side swing" as well if it bothers you.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a safety like that on my first deer rifle back in the 60's, a sporterized 8x57mm Mauser 98. It was on the right side of the bolt sleeve and operated just as you describe.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I figured somebody on here would know what it is. Now that i understand it it will stay, i was hesitate to modify it anyway.
I am going to see in the next couple of days to get a more modern variable scope that will work with it. It has a 70's vintage 4power leupold on it now.
I think i need more glass.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those safeties are great for iron sights, but a little clumsy for a scope. I like them better than the Buehlers on the right side though.

The fun starts when you go to disassmble the bolt. Pretty much a 3-handed operation.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My 98 has a Timney that works the same on the RIGHT side.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a no name left side one on a 98 I reworked to 219 Donaldson Wasp back in the '80s. I also have a right side Timney (Buehler clone) one on a Husqvarna M46.
I like them because they block the cocking piece/firing pin.
They don't make it easier to disassemble the bolt though because they lock the bolt when in the safe position - you can't unscrew the shroud without holding back the cocking piece. And you have to take the safety off to unload. Not off the gun, put it in the "Fire" position.

[Linked Image]

94/96/M46

[Linked Image]

P.S. Photobucket is too slow to be useful now.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ron, I have one on a Mex Mauser action I just put together. It's all personal preference I guess. I kind of like it.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Forums are full of fights over stuff that's just personal preference. Liking Redheads doesn't make the guy who likes blondes wrong. Just different.
Actually they're both wrong, my way or the highway. grin

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
This rifle is one of a kind, built by henrickson, gunsmith to elmer among others. I figured he knew what he was doing, i just didn't know what he was doing. I also associated a mauser action with a flip safety operating left to right.
but then i messed mostly with the military rifles.
Now that i understand it, i like it. Very little clearance between it and the scope in the "safe" position. I took off the 70's vintage leupold, and gonna see what a modern scope fits on there. That i can still use the safety.
There were a bunch of things done to/with the rifle that i am slowly learning why they were done that way. What prompted it was that article in handloader this month on the 358norma, which this gun is.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sounds very cool. Very good score. Just hope the ocular bell on the modern scope isn't bigger than the old one. Basically the reason I like the very best steel tube Weavers I can find for many of my older rifles.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have the same safety on my small ring! I have had it hang on my coat and come off safe! When unshouldering the rifle, I sling on the left shoulder! I always watch for that when wearing a heavy coat! You will like it when you get used to it, just drop your thumb down and your in shooting position. Not having to move the thumb to the other side of the rifle then back makes things simple! I don't know if unshouldering is even a word but I hope you understand.

Last edited by Heym06; 03/08/17.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was raised on the Buehler so it's second nature to me. It's as safe as you can get. I like the side swing safety but not enough to put another $100 in an old Mauser. powdr

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 67 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.