Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
OP Offline
D
Back in 2011 "Hammer" wrote?

Why is there such bad thoughts and reports concerning Winchester 101 shotguns? Bought one back in 1982 or so. Shot trap with it for a couple of years even though it had short barrels. Still have it. Think I have one or two more 101�s that I bought since then. But you can�t find a supporter of Winchester 101 shotguns on any of the shotgun internet forums.

They all report that the 101 is the hardest kicking shotgun for its weight ever made. And other nasty things too. Everyone is a Browning Citori fan. I like Citori's too. But can't somone like a 101 and a Citori ?

Thoughts ?

I cringe every time I read this BAP... It's like any sophomoric complaint... no real data, just feelings. One fella said he was going to buy one until he found out it was made in Japan... Wholy Cow... doesn't this man know that some of the finest products come from Japan... small intricate well made stuff. Tbis is not post WWII where Japan means JUNK!

I have been shooting for 50 years now, and been in private clubs where you learn by keeping your mouth closed and your ears open. The Winchester 101 is one of the finest guns available in it's price range.

I bought my first in 1969 brand new, and sold it when California announced a lead ban for hunting. Thought my skeet days were over and hunting was a thing of the past with this 20ga 3" mag. I deeply regretted this as I retired and bought acreage in NC and built a skeet range on my land. http://ccskeet.com

I bought one of the NEW Winchester 101's made in Belgium and loved it instantly. The FN Factory in Belgium built many fine Browning guns for many years. Workmanship beyond belief.

I launched a project to find a 20ga 3" Mag skeet/skeet like I had before... and finally did. Fit me like a glove and I shot a 23 with it the first time out. Very tight, and no signs of wear at all for this OLD gun. So where is the "they wear out quickly" complaint from? Perhaps someone who doesn't know about oil and cleaning? Can't figure this out.

True enough the Italians have a corner on the shotgun market. I have several Beretta auto's and recently bought a 686 Silver Pigeon. Nice sleek gun, but not without it's own problems. Like closing the action is interfered with by some brands of shells... One of my members at our club sold all of his Beretta's just because of this. The jury is still out on whether or not the Beretta will stay in my collection.

Since the Beretta purchase I have purchased a second 101 20ga skeet/skeet gun. It is also very tight and shows no abnormal wear. A few handling marks in the butt stock, and bluing wear on the receiver from handling while hunting. Likely not fired a lot by comparison to skeet shooting where we shoot 100 shots in 90 minutes.

Anyway... I'm here to tell the World that the Winchester 101 is a great buy and a great value. Every bit as good as any Browning O/U made, and Chas Daily was (by the way) made in Japan. I have a Browning Lightning 28ga and it's also made in Japan. Prefer the Winchester over the Browning. But I shoot both well.

So if you are in the market for a O/U consider this:
[*]if hunting buying a gun lighter than 6.5lbs may be good
[*]if skeet shooting buying a light gun will kill your shoulder

Resist the urge to buy entry level products. They will always be not what you want after a short while, and difficult to get a return on investment.

Buy quality products and USED when possible. It's then possible to use the item and sell it at or for more than you paid for it to begin with. You'll never get hurt if you shop around and get a nice old gun suitable for your purposes.

Comments ??????

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The old 101 was a great shotgun. I always thought the 12Ga's did kick more than some others. Most seemed to have a thin comb and I think that was the problem.

Problem today is the obvious one they no longer make them. Hard for a shotgun to have any current popularity when it has not been made since 1990.

The new 101 may look similar, but the lock-up is different. In fact it is much the same as the Beretta.

Last edited by battue; 03/09/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have an old 28 gauge Pigeon Grade in my collection. Very finely made gun and a top choice when quail hunting.

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The small gauge 101's are very nice. I had one of the 20Ga RGS Grouse Specials for a while. Let it get away. Also a 20Ga Classic Doubles 101. Both great shotguns.

Last edited by battue; 03/09/17.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Not a big O/U fan but i have a 101 skeet I really like .

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How does anyone not like a 101?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have my Grandfather's old Win 101 20 gauge choked IC/Mod. My brother got his 12 gauge Ted Williams equivalent.

It fits me really well with the expected results on the birds. It's light enough I don't care to shoot a day worth of clays with it but it carries well for a day afield.

He carried this gun all over the world and when I got the triggers were pretty gummed up with dust and oil but cleaned up it's been reliable. The old basket weave recoil pad is petrified and I suppose I need to get around to replacing it sometime.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by passport

My thoughts exactly. Winchester made a 20 gauge 101 for a short period of time with 30 inch barrels. Long before it was popular to have longer barrels on bird or clay gun ( except trap).

Doc

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I own like most people that only recreate thru hunting and fishing about a dozen shotguns.
The only one I seem to use when the season opens is my Win. 101 20ga. XTR Featherweight. I always carry a backup shotgun when up to camp. I have never needed another shotgun during birdseason.
This one is about 20yrs. old and I am up to about 700 birds, counting grouse, woodcock, pheasant, and occasional rabbit.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This thread got me looking back. I had forgotten there were many variations of the 101. Along with the standard grade, there was a Super Grade, Diamond Grade, Presentation Grade and some others for the European market that we seldom see.

Then there were the drillings in 7x57, .308 and .30-06.

How about this one: The "Winchester Boar"

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...gun-inventory-9663-.cfm?gun_id=100825936

Last edited by battue; 03/11/17.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
This thread got me looking back. I had forgotten there were many variations of the 101. Along with the standard grade, there was a Super Grade, Diamond Grade, Presentation Grade and some others for the European market that we seldom see.

Excuse me for a minute. I'm in crisis. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have one in 12 guage with 28" barrels. Its made in Belgium. I like it just fine.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pugs

Excuse me for a minute. I'm in crisis. grin

I understand.... cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by passport

Winchester made a 20 gauge 101 for a short period of time with 30 inch barrels.

Doc

I could really like one of them!

Last edited by passport; 03/11/17.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just posted this one on the Winchester forum. I could quickly grow to like it. grin

http://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/56/605

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by dhenzler
Back in 2011 "Hammer" wrote?

Why is there such bad thoughts and reports concerning Winchester 101 shotguns? Bought one back in 1982 or so. Shot trap with it for a couple of years even though it had short barrels. Still have it. Think I have one or two more 101�s that I bought since then. But you can�t find a supporter of Winchester 101 shotguns on any of the shotgun internet forums.

They all report that the 101 is the hardest kicking shotgun for its weight ever made. And other nasty things too. Everyone is a Browning Citori fan. I like Citori's too. But can't somone like a 101 and a Citori ?

Thoughts ?

I cringe every time I read this BAP... It's like any sophomoric complaint... no real data, just feelings. One fella said he was going to buy one until he found out it was made in Japan... Wholy Cow... doesn't this man know that some of the finest products come from Japan... small intricate well made stuff. Tbis is not post WWII where Japan means JUNK!

I have been shooting for 50 years now, and been in private clubs where you learn by keeping your mouth closed and your ears open. The Winchester 101 is one of the finest guns available in it's price range.

I bought my first in 1969 brand new, and sold it when California announced a lead ban for hunting. Thought my skeet days were over and hunting was a thing of the past with this 20ga 3" mag. I deeply regretted this as I retired and bought acreage in NC and built a skeet range on my land. http://ccskeet.com

I bought one of the NEW Winchester 101's made in Belgium and loved it instantly. The FN Factory in Belgium built many fine Browning guns for many years. Workmanship beyond belief.

I launched a project to find a 20ga 3" Mag skeet/skeet like I had before... and finally did. Fit me like a glove and I shot a 23 with it the first time out. Very tight, and no signs of wear at all for this OLD gun. So where is the "they wear out quickly" complaint from? Perhaps someone who doesn't know about oil and cleaning? Can't figure this out.

Comments ??????

Here are some photos of my new OLD Winchester 101 -->
http://24.172.105.90/guns/winchester/old%20model%20101/index.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have 20, 28, and 410 all skeet choked. Had a 12 too, but that dang thang kicked like a Missouri mule!

The smaller gauges are fun to shoot and fit me like an old glove.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just posted this one on the Winchester forum. I could quickly grow to like it. grin

http://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/56/605

That's actually a decent price for a stunning gun. I would have been very tempted.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought my 20 gauge 101 back in 1966 when (I think) the 20 first came out. I think the 12 came out in 1963.

I've killed scads of game with it. I still have the box and the hang tags. Retail was $283.00 but my friend owned a department store and let me have it for his cost, $218.00.

I has never failed me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pugs,

I thought exactly the same.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.