Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello fellas,

A friend approached me with a newly acquired Model 6a today that is in need of the long hammer coil spring located within the bolt body, i.e. just forward of the recoil plug. The original one is still in there, but is deformed from enough cycling over the years to where the bolt comes short of retracting fully by roughly 3/8". This eliminates any use in either semi-auto or single shot mode.

Am looking for any repair locations and/or parts sources as the spring appears to be staked in place. I'm a newbie to this model, so any constructive suggestions appreciated....

Thanks,

rob

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try this shop:

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/

Looks like they have what you need. Good luck with it.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
M
OP Offline
M
'Thanks', Steve99 for the reply.....and that site is the only one I also came up with last night thru Google that looked like a good bet. Mostly was curious of others beyond Bob's Gunsworks in Ark.... just in case they cannot help.

I will try Bob's GW today and hope for some luck as this is a very well-made gun. It's a Utica tube-fed rim-fire with a quality walnut stock, and on second thought, maybe I should try and buy it off the guy who owns it! laugh Just funnin', as I think he's pretty smitten with it.

Again my appreciation,

rob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are an interesting design. The multi-function bolt stop was neat.

You should probably check in with Jack First and Wisner's Inc. too. Google them, they'll show up.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
M
OP Offline
M
The multi-function design is what attracted me, but unfortunately there's more to the story since I last posted.

Thinking that I simply needed a new hammer coil spring installed, I was interested in purchasing this gun. The owner, it turns out, was less interested in the hassle of getting it repaired than I was, and so agreed to sell it to me.

Thinking I'm about to write a check, I decided to swab the bore and check the rifling, and a good thing I did. About seven inches back of the muzzle there was a short break in the flow of rifling, and a closer exterior exam in slanting light showed a ring bulge that could just be felt with one's fingertips. A squib followed immediately by a good round apparently stuck the first bullet firmly enough in the bore that it took some mechanical removal/butchery and a small piece of the rifling went with it. So what this fellow now has is a great parts gun, unless one relines it at considerable expense. Could be this excess-pressure incident is what caused the hammer coil spring to spool up and prohibit the breechbolt from coming rearward the last 3/8" needed for proper loading function.

Too bad because I especially admired the Utica-made walnut stock for having most all of its original oil finish, an attractive, dark, straight-grained figure, and hardly any blemish....about a 95% stock. A wealth of other parts, too, most in great condition as the exterior bluing is even better at 98%. I suspect that the pressure incident caused the spring damage early in its life and the gun was simply put up.

The current owner bought it off a 'used' gun rack not long ago, not knowing it had problems until just getting around to seeing if I could figure out 'why' it wasn't functioning. He states he never tried firing the gun as he couldn't get the bolt to go rearward enough to even load the gun......which I believe is true....because one can't.

FWIW, he gave me permission to see if anyone here has need of a parts gun. If so, just PM me and I can get you his phone #.

Makes me sick about finding the subtle barrel damage as I was 'red hot' to have a Utica-made 6A that's in excellent shape otherwise. Oh well....

'Thanks again' Steve for your replies,

rob

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you just have to have one of these, they aren't rare. The Model 7 may also be of interest too. Same mechanism but fed with a box magazine rather than a tube mag. Somewhat rarer than a Mod 6.

W
W
I would be interested in the gun for parts one of my kids took my gun apart and lost the pieces. you could E mail me or I can give you my phone number 250 6524133. Thanks Merv

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Merv, sorry, but this thread is 5 years old, and the fellow with the gun has never posted again. Some of the guys might have a parts gun, or the parts you need, so don't give up yet, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.