Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a SBE

The SBE 2 had a slightly better forearm, and added the comfortech stock, but the trigger wasn't nearly as good so I didn't upgrade to the SBE II.

Looking at the SBE 3, The new forearm looks horrible, and it looks like it's function is much diminesioned (looks like an artist with no field experience got thier way). The stock texture was changed, and they added some adjustable pieces to the butt stock, and changed the shim system to adjust the drop at heel.

Unless they fix the trigger, and put a SBE II like forearm on it - I'm not interested.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Check out Fabarms, I'm happy with season one goose and duck hunting.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't get me wrong Benelli as a shotgun is really hard to beat, it's the "new guys" who are screwing up the design.

The SBE II brought a better forearm but a crappy trigger.

But they fixed that buy putting a crappy forearm on it again.

Nice

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Welcome to the world of modern firearms. I don't believe there is much innovation in the whole industry, unless you call AR platforms and polymer pistols innovative.

Market is the focus of firearms, driven by MBA's that haven't even fired a gun for the most part. I had a friend guide some Benelli executives and he was anxious to talk with them about their guns. At the end of the day he told me those guys didn't know a Benelli shotgun from a drift boat.

I can imagine his disappointment with a bunch of Glock executives.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no desire to ever upgrade my SBE I. Same for my son. I picked him up a H&K Ducks Unlimited limited edition SBE I and it is slick as owl poop.

Those guns just keep on running...

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
What's the ceiling on a plastic stocked autoloader? Seems every new model jumps $100-200 in price. Knocking on $2k for a flagship model is getting ridiculous IMO.

I have no use for 3.5" shells so no reason to upgrade from my H&K M1. Price plays a large roll in this too. If I'm spending upwards of 2k, it's going to have 2 barrels and some nice walnut

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The SBE3 is simply a facelift of an existing design. There is nothing wrong with it. It is a Benelli--well made, durable, sometimes indestructible, Italian, and always overpriced. Whether it is worth the money is up to each buyer.

The Remington V3 is the only "new" design for an autoloader that has emerged in the past couple of introduction cycles. It seems to be doing well and will probably change autoloader expectations.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Big Green often gets criticized for missing the boat but I think they are on the right track with the Versamax (although it is a little heavy for a field gun) and the V3. Make a reliable, lightweight autoloader that fits well and is reliable for under $1,000. Lots of guys can get on board with that and while I could afford a new SBE 3, I refuse to pay the price when I already have a M1 that does everything I need and only cost me $550 used.

I hope they trim some weight off the Versamax as that seems to be its only gripe that I've heard of. That's just my opinion and many may not mind the extra weight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I handled one of these at SHOT. The only turnoff for me is the magazine tube cap. The design makes it look crooked. I'd likely end up putting an extension on, so it's probably not an issue.

With that said, I'm going to stick with my M2. I haven't had an problem killing anything with 3" shells for the past several years, and I much prefer the ergonomics and looks of the M2.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I have a SBE

The SBE 2 had a slightly better forearm, and added the comfortech stock, but the trigger wasn't nearly as good so I didn't upgrade to the SBE II.

Looking at the SBE 3, The new forearm looks horrible, and it looks like it's function is much diminesioned (looks like an artist with no field experience got thier way). The stock texture was changed, and they added some adjustable pieces to the butt stock, and changed the shim system to adjust the drop at heel.

Unless they fix the trigger, and put a SBE II like forearm on it - I'm not interested.

Are you going by pictures or did you actually go and handle one?
I love the feel of the sbe2 but have been fondling the sbe3 lately, pictures wise I like the looks of the sbe2 better but actually feeling them side by side......sbe3 hands down.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ryanjay11
I handled one of these at SHOT. The only turnoff for me is the magazine tube cap. The design makes it look crooked. I'd likely end up putting an extension on, so it's probably not an issue.

With that said, I'm going to stick with my M2. I haven't had an problem killing anything with 3" shells for the past several years, and I much prefer the ergonomics and looks of the M2.

I got to shoot the new model at SHOT and really like it! Rick Bin did not like the look of the newagain cap, but it did not keep him from hitting every clay he shot at. I did not miss with it either and kinda like the cap...

The new stock is not pretty, but it is functional.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Hows the trigger on the SBE 3?.....Hb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Hows the trigger on the SBE 3?.....Hb

Very, very good, IMO.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Good deal, The only real gripe I had with My last SBE 2 was that the trigger sucked.......The trigger also really sucks on My new Franchi Intensity, I wish I could do something for it as I love the gun otherwise.......Hb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am just the opposite as most of you. I ,dislike the sbe2s forearm. I bought my SBE1 from a friend when the SBE2 came out cause I didn't like the 2. It has been the best gun I have ever owned besides my M1 super 90. I haven't even seen the SBE3s yet.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I just handled a new SBE 3 at Cabelas, I liked the changes in the new gun fine but I was disappointed in the still creepy trigger, It feels exactly like a SBE 2 trigger to me........Hb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I just handled a new SBE 3 at Cabelas, I liked the changes in the new gun fine but I was disappointed in the still creepy trigger, It feels exactly like a SBE 2 trigger to me........Hb

Sorry you felt that way about the trigger... shotgun triggers are a lot different from rifle triggers in my book and I do not expect them to feel like rifles.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I dont expect any shotgun to have the trigger of a bolt action centerfire rifle but I hate when a shotgun trigger has a bunch of creep, I guess the trigger on My A5 has me spoiled but I compare every other shotgun trigger to it and so far they have all fallen miserably short.......I think with the price's of the auto shotguns these days that are in the high end market it wouldnt be asking for much for them to have a decent trigger.......Hb

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just picked mine up this morning.
Sbe3 matte black with a 26" bbl
Can't wait to shoot it now, maybe tomorrow with some clay pigeons and when my Jebs Headhunter choke tube comes in I will pattern it.
Mainly my waterfowl gun though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought my SBE when the SBE2s first came out. I like the old forearm and metal trigger guard. The SBE3 has a feature that stops the Benelli click. That's the only up grade since the SBE imho. But it sure isn't worth the price they are asking. I paid 800 for my SBE in like new but dirty condition. If I ever pay 2k or more for a shotgun it will be a nice o/u in 20 ga.

Last edited by seal_billy; 03/14/17.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
841 members (1234, 12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,249
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.