Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't see not being able to clean from the azz end as a problem, but then again I ain't cleaned a rifle barrel since about 2006.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Lmao! Yeah its no big deal for you Steely, thats for sure.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My partner has one in 308. Really nice rifle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not nearly as good feeling in your hands as a BLR.Very heavy and clumsy feeling.They do have an excellent trigger and great wood.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I shot mine today, it does have an excellent trigger and this thing is scary accurate with the 3 factory loads I tried, one group ( Nosler 150gr) measured .55" center to center for 3 shots @100yds, and the other 2 loads were both under MOA... groups that would make any bolt action rifle jealous!... but I agree, I also like the BLR better (though I've never seen a BLR that would shoot with this Long Ranger)......I am going to sell this rifle and buy a BLR takedown in the same caliber and maybe another in 450 Marlin for Ohio.................Hb

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For some reason, the trigger going with the lever on the BLR is kind of a turn off.

As far as the weight goes, the HLR is a heavy gun, kind of out of place on a 223, but its short and manageable.

I haven't shot for groups yet, just getting my scope lined up, but I think I'll be able to stunt shoot with it just fine. Looking forward to my first double...

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Va, is the ejection on your Long Ranger pretty strong? I hadve seen videos with cases barely clearing the action. It looked like the lever wasn't being worked very aggressively. Ready to buy one but hoping bugs are worked out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I shot mine today, it does have an excellent trigger and this thing is scary accurate with the 3 factory loads I tried, one group ( Nosler 150gr) measured .55" center to center for 3 shots @100yds, and the other 2 loads were both under MOA... groups that would make any bolt action rifle jealous!... but I agree, I also like the BLR better (though I've never seen a BLR that would shoot with this Long Ranger)......I am going to sell this rifle and buy a BLR takedown in the same caliber and maybe another in 450 Marlin for Ohio.................Hb

What factory ammo did you shoot?

I just got mine back from Henry today and they are awesome.

Scoped back up and ready to shoot Friday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bought a 308 last week. It had issues. Would not chamber Hornady factory ammo. Frequent failures to eject. On about round 15,the lever ceased to operate the bolt.

Just sent it back to Henry. Will let folks know how it turns out.

On the plus side,it was mighty pretty and had a great trigger. It shot Federal Blue Box ammo with 150 grain bullets into ,less than one moa.

And then it self destructed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I bought a 308 last week. It had issues. Would not chamber Hornady factory ammo. Frequent failures to eject. On about round 15,the lever ceased to operate the bolt.

Just sent it back to Henry. Will let folks know how it turns out.

On the plus side,it was mighty pretty and had a great trigger. It shot Federal Blue Box ammo with 150 grain bullets into ,less than one moa.

And then it self destructed.

Interesting. As you probably saw above I had similar issues. I did not have issues clambering rounds. It did weakly eject federal fusions.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Henry was going for a longer-range rifle to butt head-to-head against boltguns, it wasn't going for "brush gun".

As a part of that goal, the introductory model was built for use with glass to reach out to 300-400 yards, which most people nowdays don't do well with only irons.

It wasn't developed to be a short-range brush gun (actually has far more accuracy than a brush gun needs), it's intended (for now) as a longer-range hunting rifle at distances most hunters consider their pet bolt-actions should handle.

And the hunting rifle market today is leaning away from irons.
(I am not saying I approve of the lack of iron-sighted hunting rifles prevalent among the industry today, I'm just giving you the thoughts behind this model.)

The barrel goes through multiple steps to aid accuracy, and it gets much more attention there than your average Marlin or Winchester levergun.

Depending on how well the current version does, there's a possibility of an iron-sighted version with altered stock angle in the future, along with other calibers.

I consider the LR a better rifle overall than the BLR because it has no glossy wood varnish, it has a one-piece barrel instead of the Browning's two-piece barrel, that barrel is threaded into the alloy receiver instead of a press-fit like the Browning, the Henry's trigger doesn't travel with the lever & should be slightly easier to adjust for pull, and the Henry can be broken down & reassembled easier than the Browning.

And I wasn't referring to you about irrelevant commentary.
That was a (hopefully) pre-emptive strike to avoid the frequent buzz about previous Henry models having "plastic parts", "pot metal parts.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Henry already offers the Long Ranger with open sights, Though ive not seen one in person yet, but the model is listed on their web site... (Burbank)....The factory ammo's I tried were Nosler 150gr Accubond (.55") Remington 150gr Corelokt (.85") and Barnes Vortex 150gr TTSX ( .95") and (1.10") ...I only shot the rifle 14 times as I knew I am going to sell it, I was just curious if the Long Ranger was going to be accurate and Damn! Was it ever!.......Mine functioned fine with no failures to feed or eject........Hb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I recently purchased a new Long Ranger in .308 but I have not had time to get it to the range yet, (or if I will) as I was extremely dissappointed to find out that you cant remove the bolt and clean the barrel from the breech end like I can with My H010 45-70 and Marlin 1895, this is a very important feature to Me so before I purchased this rifle I called Henry and asked to talk to a gun tech to Find out for sure if I could easily remove the bolt for cleaning, the girl That answered the phone wanted to know what My question was before she would connect Me with a gun tech so I told her my question about bolt removal on the Long Ranger model and even said that it would be a dealbreaker to Me if I could not remove the bolt for cleaning like i can with My H010, she then assured Me that I can easily remove the bolt on the Long Ranger model and clean the barrel with a cleaning rod from the breech end of the rifle but after I spent $885 on a new Long Ranger and looked at the manual I found that it plainly says that Henry does not reccommend removing the bolt on the Long Ranger and reccommends cleaning the barrel from the muzzel end or to use a bore snake.......I wonder if I called Henry and explained what happened if they would refund My purchase price? If Henry is going to let the receptionist answer technical questions they need to educate them in their products........Hb

Interesting post. You got about the right number of periods, they're just all bunched together in two places. I think that's the longest sentence I've ever seen.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! I was terrible in English class, I barely passed.....But thanks for the critique, lord knows I need all the help I can get...lol... ..Hb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.