Print Thread
Hop To
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Is the x-bolt worth more than twice the cost of the Ruger American?

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you think it is, it is.

Both have detachable mags, which I don't like on a hunting rifle.

Brownings are very well made, but a little complicated and have that meto-sexual styling that began with the Cynergy shotguns. Either it appeals to you, or not. Me, not so much.

RARs are cheap, apparently shoot well, and except for the occasional magazine issue, work well. Great bargains if you are looking for such; the best of the bargain rifles still in production I think. A wood stock with a real trigger guard classes them up, but gets them to a price line where there are better options, IMHO. Their best use is as is, I think, or as a donor for a chassis rifle with a better magazine. Hell, you can put a RAR in a chassis, maybe upgrade the trigger, and when it's shot out, throw it away and get a new one to bolt in the chassis for lots less than rebarreling something else.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/16/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I love X-bolts. Ruger Americans are fine, but I'd buy a Thompson Venture in that price range.

N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I don't like detachable magazines either. I do like low bolt lifts and tang safeties. It's strange, but I like looks of the Ruger action better. I'd like to see one in a normal sort of stock.
Metro sexual is accurate, the brownings are euro looking. My micro hunter A-bolt was light and did fit well. Too gimicky tho.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That's funny you ask Nessmuk. My last two firearms purchases were a Ruger American in 30-06 and a Browning X-Bolt Medallion in .300 wsm.

Just got both of them in the last two months and haven't even had a chance to shoot the X-Bolt yet, but its a sweet looking rifle.

I paid $370 for the Ruger and $765 for the X-Bolt. Without shooting them both yet, I imagine they'll do about the same thing by laying a deer or hog low.

The difference is, when I scratch and dent up the plastic stock on the ruger, while it's pouring down rain, I won't squirm as much. wink. But on that rare, bright, crisp, sun shinny day hunting in a padded tree stand, I can look at the Browing and say "gee whiz that's a pretty rifle."

End the end I would say yes, if quality fit and finish is of value to you, then easily the X-Bolt is worth twice the price. There simply is no comparing the two in the aesthetics department.

Not to take away anything from the Ruger's function, it was built for hunting hard, but it will never win any beauty contests.

As far as detachable magazine fed rifles for hunting (or in general), I much prefer them to standard top load rifles. The biggest advantage is not needing as much scope clearance. When loading a non detachable mag, you have to jam the shells in under the scope.

With the detachable mag, you can also run a one piece scope base, giving you more mounting options.

Other reason I prefer the detachable mag. Include ease of unloading the rifle. Simply drop the mag and empty the chamber. With a non-detachable mag., you either have to open up the bottom and drop all the loose shells out, or work them all through the action with the bolt.

Last edited by JohnnyMac007; 03/16/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had both in compacts and 7-08 as well as a Tikka T3. Hands down the Tikka wins in my book but you didn't ask that question. I no longer have the Xbolt and kept the other 2. Browning was fine and about as accurate but I absolutely couldn't stand the square bar bolt handle or the fat belly carry. My stainless RAR had a rotary mag similar to X-bolt but it is narrower and feels much better in my hand. Finish is not as nice as Browning but I paid under $300 on sale for the lefty stainless RAR and should have bought one in each caliber at that price. I can add a $244 top end custom Boyds stock and still be at 2/3 price of the Browning for a better rifle IMO.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
CDNN has a bunch of A-Bolts left at $399 after rebate. I think I'd go that way before RAR. That said, I keep looking at the Hawkeye in .280 for $449.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
My micro hunter A-bolt was light and did fit well. Too gimicky tho.

Not a challenge, just curious, why do you think a Micro Hunter A-bolt is gimmicky? I bought one in left-hand version for my daughter and it's the only Browning I own. It's blued, has a metal trigger guard, a tang safety and wood stock. I've always thought of it as a classic/traditional type of rifle.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/17/17. Reason: I corrected a spelling error.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Just the magazine system and trigger. Everything else was great.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Just the magazine system and trigger. Everything else was great.

In case you haven't figured it out, the ABolt magazine system is much different from the XBolt magazine system.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.