Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#11879149 - 03/06/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: Leanwolf]  
Cowboyvon Offline
Cowboyvon  Offline

North Percha NM USA middle of...
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Cowboyvon
You wrote for Gunsmoke? Thats great did you have anything to do with the episode "The Hat" ... It has to be my all time favorite ..

Thanks!

CowboyVon, I wrote several Gunsmoke scripts but I didn't write The Hat. That was written by a friend of mine, the late Ron Bishop, who wrote a whole bunch of Gunsmoke scripts, plus others for other shows. Ron was a very good writer.

He owned a small "ranch" north of Cody, Wyoming, and invited me up to hunt elk there a couple of times. To my great regret, I was too busy to make it when he was there for elk season.

Had some good times over some drinks in Los Angeles, though. wink

As an aside, Ron served in Burma during WW II. He told some interesting stories about that, too.

L.W.

Thanks .. I watched Gunsmoke every night when I was a kid and still watch as often as I can.. Prior to selling my old place we kept a computer on with Gunsmoke playing on a loop through youtube 24-7 lol you might say I'm a fan ...

Thanks for your part !!!!!

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
RV 728 BP
#11879577 - 03/06/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: Cowboyvon]  
Leanwolf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Leanwolf  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Boise, Idaho
CowboyVon, glad you enjoyed the show. I and other writers had fun writing for it. Every year at Christmas CBS and the Gunsmoke production company would throw a huge Christmas party and dinner on the very large sound stage where the permanent set of Dodge City was erected. That was at CBS Studios, Studio City.

The writers, directors, actors, production staff, our spouses, and other guests from the industry were invited. Interesting to be bellied up to the Longbranch Saloon bar drinking real booze. grin

Best regards.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
#11881400 - 03/07/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: wabigoon]  
mtrancher Offline
Campfire Regular
mtrancher  Offline
Campfire Regular

Eastern Montana
Leanwolf, I attended my first writer's conference in 1978. By far, the best instructor there was a woman, probably then in her late 50s or early 60s, who had written for Gunsmoke for years. She was easily the best instructor at the conference. I returned to the same conference in Portland the next year as an instructor but she wasn't there. Packed in my files is a brochure from the first conference with her name and photo. I'd know the name if I heard it, but I can't think of it. Anyway, a wonderful lady. My mother passionately believed Marshall Dillon's buckskin was the best horse on television, and while I would devalue the horse for not having the confirmation appropriate to the era, how can one vote against one's late mother. The buckskin it is.

#11884145 - 03/08/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: mtrancher]  
Leanwolf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Leanwolf  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Boise, Idaho
Mtrancher, I don't recall meeting a woman Gunsmoke writer. I know a few women wrote for the show, but I never met one. If you recall the name, let me know.

Hope all is well there with you.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
#11889926 - 03/10/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: Leanwolf]  
Azshooter Offline
Campfire Guide
Azshooter  Offline
Campfire Guide

Tucson, Az.
I am glad to read that it is acknowledged that many shows used multiple horses portrayed as one. Little Joe's paint was supplied for the show and was often a different one season to season.

My wife Gail bought one of the buckskins that Matt Dillon rode.

This particular horse was injured in a trip wire accident. She was up for auction with a cast on her hind leg. A friend tipped my Gail off that it would be a great horse to own and even if she didn't recover completely would make a great mare for breeding.

Chap did recover and was ridden by Gail for many years. She took Chap all over Calif and into Az where the horse died at age 38. The horse was ridden into Canyon de Chelly, the Grand Canyon and all over the Hopi reservation before moving to Tucson Az.

The horse was 17 hands high and had to have her pasterns trimmed as she had some draft in her to make her so large. My wife took her to the Hopi reservation in the mid 70s where she taught for several years. The tribal leader Vernon bred Chap to his best stallion. The result was a huge stunning grulla that became the breeding stud for many horses on the Res.

This particular buckskin had one rear white stocking. You can see her if you scoll down about 1/3 of page. On left hand side with left rear white foot. Caption says Matt with Buck. here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/507499451730202943/

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/10/17.
#11892266 - 03/11/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: Azshooter]  
Azshooter Offline
Campfire Guide
Azshooter  Offline
Campfire Guide

Tucson, Az.
Dang when I opened the link I supplied the horse picture moved to the right side!

My wife was so attached to Chap when she died she took several days off from work, death in the family. To this day she cannot bring herself to look at any Gunsmoke episodes or pictures like the one I found. Truly was a one of a kind horse.

#11896932 - 03/13/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: ironbender]  
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide
RichardAustin  Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted by ironbender
I've seen white feet that are hard and strong. I've seen black feet that are weak, soft and shelly.

Research has been done on this (IIRC, by Doug Butler) and pigment, or the lack of it, is not the cause.

A white hoof tends to have thinner hoof walls. King Ranch use to remove them from their breeding stock.

To OP, most of that older stock was big headed and raw boned, not my first choice. To me, STOLI is about a perfect horse.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
#11897980 - 03/14/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: RichardAustin]  
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
saddlesore  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Speaking of the old west, Harry Vold died yesterday at 93 years old.

Well know for his livestock supply to rodeos,including the National Finals. He was born when the west wasn't as old yet. RIP Harry

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
#11898012 - 03/14/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: saddlesore]  
Rock Chuck Offline
Campfire Oracle
Rock Chuck  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Filer, ID
He was born when the west wasn't as old yet.
The 'old' west was any time before color movies. grin

You can't fix stupid...
but you can numb it a bit with a 2x4
#11898049 - 03/14/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns. [Re: wabigoon]  
Royce Offline
Campfire Guide
Royce  Offline
Campfire Guide

zip code 59602
I think Matt Dillon's horse was named "Buck".

#11898434 - 03/14/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: RichardAustin]  
ironbender Online happy
Campfire Oracle
ironbender  Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

In the shadow of the Kenai Mtn...
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I've seen white feet that are hard and strong. I've seen black feet that are weak, soft and shelly.

Research has been done on this (IIRC, by Doug Butler) and pigment, or the lack of it, is not the cause.

A white hoof tends to have thinner hoof walls.

Generalizations like that have no basis. Have you read Butler?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
#11902008 - 03/15/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: ironbender]  
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide
RichardAustin  Offline
Campfire Guide

Hi IB, I've not read Butler, but I have picked up a lot of hooves. Is Butler a shoer? No one has lamed as many horses as shoers.

#11902396 - 03/15/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: wabigoon]  
ironbender Online happy
Campfire Oracle
ironbender  Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

To call Doug Butler a "shoer", is the epitome of understatement!
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
#11902516 - 03/15/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: ironbender]  
Kaleb Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kaleb  Offline
Campfire Tracker

TN
To call Doug Butler a "shoer", is the epitome of understatement!
wink

Lol....true and now class you see where most of these old time rumors and such come from.

"My dad always said".........etc. no offense to anyone's family but they're not always correct even though they believe what they're telling with all their heart.

Last edited by Kaleb; 03/15/17.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson
#11902616 - 03/16/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: ironbender]  
HitnRun Offline
Campfire Regular
HitnRun  Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by RichardAustin

A white hoof tends to have thinner hoof walls.

Generalizations like that have no basis. Have you read Butler?

I don't know Butler, for that matter, I don't know the depth of the knowledge of horses on the Campfire, but if it is as full of holes as the rest of the information that is shared here, there is much room for misinformation.

All I know was this cowboy did know horses and when he told me light hooves were more prone to problems, I took him at his word for his experience. I'm sure he ate more horses than most of these drug store cowboys ever rode.

Some people are content to simply appear stupid, others must open their mouths and remove all doubt.
#11903375 - 03/16/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: wabigoon]  
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide
RichardAustin  Offline
Campfire Guide

Well, I'll just ask a simple question. Do you believe the genetic makeup of an individual can influence their type (ie do you think no one is more susceptible to defects or disease than the next due to their dna. If you do I'm sure AMA would be interested in your research)?

Has Butler performed conclusive genetic/dna research pertaining to the subject? He does seem to be a hell of a marketer, but didn't see anything on him as a research scientist. I don't know so I'm asking.

Until then, I'm going to hedge my bets by going on my experience.

#11903831 - 03/16/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: wabigoon]  
ironbender Online happy
Campfire Oracle
ironbender  Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

The information is available to anyone willing to do a Google search.

I have ever no interest in forcing you to believe the facts.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
#11903876 - 03/16/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: wabigoon]  
wabigoon Online content
Campfire Tracker
wabigoon  Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Iowa/NW Ontaio
If I may interrupt this disagreement briefly , I'll throw James Steward's horse, "Pie", into the mix.
Interesting in that the horse was Steward's own horse.

These premises insured by,--- and Cooey.
#11904294 - 03/16/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: wabigoon]  
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide
RichardAustin  Offline
Campfire Guide

I would have avoided the genetic makeup question too.

#11909111 - 03/18/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: RichardAustin]  
Azshooter Offline
Campfire Guide
Azshooter  Offline
Campfire Guide

Tucson, Az.
Pie was quite the horse for Jimmy Stewart. I heard of this story and just found proof.

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/21/47128...e-horses-that-captured-moviegoers-hearts

"they just became so attuned to each other that in one film, "The Far Country," Stewart had developed such a rapport with him that he was able to get the horse to do something at liberty all by himself when the trainer was not around. They were on this location. The trainer wasn't on the set. And the horse needed to walk from one end of a street to another with no ropes on him or anything, and Stewart just went up to him, he said he whispered in his ear and told him what he needed him to do. And the horse did it. And everyone on the set was absolutely amazed, and Stewart just said, that was Pie. That's what he did. So he absolutely had an incredible bond with the horse"

#11954321 - 04/06/17 Re: Horses in the old westerns.7 [Re: wabigoon]  
mtrancher Offline
Campfire Regular
mtrancher  Offline
Campfire Regular

Eastern Montana
As to hooves, my two cents and worth half as much, though my farrier friends claim there is no difference in a dark hoof and a light hoof, from a lifetime of ranching and using horses in dry, rough country I will take a dark hoof every time over a light one. In fact, horses or cattle, I never turn down pigment.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RV 180 2
OX 160 1
RBCN 160 3
Who's Online Now
470 registered members (12344mag, 219DW, 10ring1, 22250rem, 21, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 716 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
NMX 160

Copyright © 2000-2017 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.