Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got an old Winchester 670 Blind Trigger Guard for an upcoming project, but it's pretty darn cheap looking. I bead blasted the baked-on black finish off of it, which sort of helps, but it's still just a cheap looking unit.

The M70 action is stainless, so want to keep the trigger bow stainless as well. I could do either SS or Aluminum, doesn't really matter. If CM is all that's available, I could have it Hard Chromed/Nickeled.

I believe Sunny Hill makes one, but a funky little wood screw is required at the front of the guard.

Who else makes such a unit?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got mine from Alex Sitman at Masterclass Stocks. Super nice guy and will point you in the right direction.

http://www.masterclassstocks.com/accessories.html

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When we built blind magazine rifles we used 1898 Krag trigger guards. Don't know about the hole spacing but they're a reasonably priced steel trigger guard that can be adapted to blind magazine use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a 700 adl TG on a Mauser 98 with an ADL Banser. I just epoxied in a threded insert for the front screw and modified the Mauser guard screw threads to Take Remington Screws 1/4x28 tpi

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Are you sure that action is stainless? I have never seen a stainless 670. I question the stainless part because all the 670's I have seen were made prior to the popularity of stainless actions/barrels.

The 670 was the lowest priced entry level rifle of the model 70 series that Winchester marketed at the time.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10at6
I got mine from Alex Sitman at Masterclass Stocks. Super nice guy and will point you in the right direction.

http://www.masterclassstocks.com/accessories.html

Thanks man!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by drover
Are you sure that action is stainless? I have never seen a stainless 670. I question the stainless part because all the 670's I have seen were made prior to the popularity of stainless actions/barrels.

The 670 was the lowest priced entry level rifle of the model 70 series that Winchester marketed at the time.

drover

I never said it was a 670 action... I said it's a 670 trigger guard.

Originally Posted by Brad
I've got an old Winchester 670 Blind Trigger Guard for an upcoming project

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If CM is all that's available, I could have it Hard Chromed/Nickeled.

Have it cerakoted in Satin Mag color, it matches a bead blasted stainless finish almost perfectly. That's what I did on a couple of aluminum PT&G bottom metal units for stainless rifles.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
If CM is all that's available, I could have it Hard Chromed/Nickeled.

Have it cerakoted in Satin Mag color, it matches a bead blasted stainless finish almost perfectly. That's what I did on a couple of aluminum PT&G bottom metal units for stainless rifles.

Good tip, thanks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I never said it was a 670 action... I said it's a 670 trigger guard.

I've got an old Winchester 670 Blind Trigger Guard for an upcoming project

My bad. I misunderstood your post.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Williams Firearms makes 670 trigger guards. Not sure if they make them in stainless.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had Mahovsky's hard chrome a barrel band sling swivel for my SS M70 375 and it matched the SS extremely well. About $40 IIRC.

http://mahovskysmetalife.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
Williams Firearms makes 670 trigger guards. Not sure if they make them in stainless.

Ben, I contacted Williams, they no longer offer blind M70 Trigger Guards in either CM or SS.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Ed.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a stainless Sunny Hill on a MRC 1999 blind mag build. Very nice, solid part...which carries the penalty of a little extra weight. I had it lightened a little. Glassed in a spot to hold the front screw which worked well. I can try to get some pics and weights for you this evening if it would be helpful.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
JCM, I would really appreciate that!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BWalker

Ben, I contacted Williams, they no longer offer blind M70 Trigger Guards in either CM or SS.

Thanks for the info and that's too bad. Williams makes great parts at a resonable cost, but they are a bit quirky in regards to materials and discontinuing parts.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/20/17.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, not really sure what's up with Williams Ben. They do seem a bit quirky as you say. Matt Williams used to post here years ago, and we corresponded/spoke on the phone a bit. They made/make great products. Too bad a blind bow isn't one of them. Though I know you feel differently, I'm a blind magazine guy and I know there are a lot of us out there.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Are you sure an ADL trigger bow won't work? The only critical dimension is between the rear action screw and where the arc of the trigger is, relative to the back of the bow.

I kinda recall that is what I used in my blind magazine M70 in a McMillan stock.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah, not really sure what's up with Williams Ben. They do seem a bit quirky as you say. Matt Williams used to post here years ago, and we corresponded/spoke on the phone a bit. They made/make great products. Too bad a blind bow isn't one of them. Though I know you feel differently, I'm a blind magazine guy and I know there are a lot of us out there.

I remember Matt Williams as well. IIRC he and is father had a falling out which ended with him parting ways. Being in business with family can be very difficult.
I don't have a problem with a blind magazine set up. I have one currently and have had a few in the past. I just prefer a floor plate setup. It's not stopping me from pulling the trigger non a 84L MT in the next few days.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/20/17.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.