Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Finally got my residency so now I can afford to hunt. I'm planning on pursuing both black and brown bears this spring and while I THINK I know the basics but any pointers would be greatly appreciated (not locations!).

I will be hunting various places on the KP, most likely off the trails coming out of the Cooper Landing area, though I may hike up the Swanson River (passed the state park border) since it is just up the road from my house. A friend is taking me in his boat across Skilak in early May. I'm guessing that finding vegitation and doing LOTS of glassing the hillsides as well as looking for tracks along the lake shores and stream beds are the best bet.

Not making this a rifle discussion but I will be using my 30-06 with 200 gr. Partitions or possibly the Ruger #1 .280 with 175 gr. Partititions my dad passed onto me when he died.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't get eaten. grin

Oh and make sure you can outrun your partner.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
If you find tracks that means the bear WAS there. Look for the bear not the tracks.
Glassine and spending time in the field is the ticket. Boar bears will be on the move and could show up anywhere at anytime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find yourself a nice little valley with lots of tracks. Get to a vantage point and wait. They'll show up. They are habitual Be prepared to hunt right up to dusk.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
get close -- shoot straight -- shoot again until it stops moving

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 458Win
get close -- shoot straight -- shoot again until it stops moving

I was telling this to a friend just the other day. The only addition I made was once it quite moving, shoot one more time laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Skin em high. I like to come down the arm about 1/4 to a 1/3 instead of cutting right down the middle of the arm. This way you get a nice butterfly under, or behind the leg instead of over. Looks much better IMO.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
May be a late spring this year generally early May for lakes to be ice free, last several years we were out in April.

I prefer to hunt from lakes in a boat, you have to be there after the lake breaks up and before the birch bloom.

Then glass , glass and glass. Or you can do the same from most of the S facing road side pull outs.

The key is be where you can see and patience. Look for the areas that green up first, or where the food is. For early spring bear. Send me a PM as I will likely be there.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you live in Alaska you have probably seen lots of bears already. To me the single hardest thing to do is judge the size of a lone bear at a distance. Been fooled several times. Look at lots of on-line pictures and be patient when glassing/hunting.

Bag a big one! Or a medium one if you plan to eat it. grin

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are viewing a bear from a distance one of the first things to look at is the relationship of the head to the body. The biggest bears are boars and their heads appear small compared to the rest of their body.

Movement is another clue. Cubs and young bears tend to move fluidly and often quickly, while old bears, both male and females, tend to move more like old people. The most massive old boars tend to walk ponderously like the many of the memorable Walmart shoppers.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd love an open season on fat Walmart shoppers. No limit and OTC tags.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

You obviously have never cleaned one...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Haha. No I haven't and I doubt they've cleaned themselves. I'd treat'em with more extreme prejudice than a manged, tick infested coyote.

I doubt even ravens would touch it.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Haha. No I haven't and I doubt they've cleaned themselves. I'd treat'em with more extreme prejudice than a manged, tick infested coyote.

I doubt even ravens would touch it.

Fall bears and fat Wal-Martin shoppers are the only creatures I ALWAYS wear gloves for!!!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Skin em high. I like to come down the arm about 1/4 to a 1/3 instead of cutting right down the middle of the arm. This way you get a nice butterfly under, or behind the leg instead of over. Looks much better IMO.

There have been several threads here over the years about skinning bears and where the critical first cuts should be. It makes a difference.

I have no idea what you are describing... but it does not sound right to me.

The hind legs are far more important, IMO, because the excess hide between the legs is simply cut off and thrown away when cut wrong.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I thought you might make a reference to fall bears but know how much respect you have for them (the bears). 😁

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Give a fall bear an electric cart and a tattered wife-beater and ID would get tough...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Art, Did you have a thread that you describe how you skin a bear? If so I'd like to read it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Give a fall bear an electric cart and a tattered wife-beater and ID would get tough...

Yeah those electric carts cause enough rubbing to ruin the hide and the naturally produced chafing from growing to gigantic, trophy proportions, doesn't help with hide quality.

I just don't want more than one tattoo of a dolphin jumping over an Asian moon on a hide that I plan to keep.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since a bears skull never stops growing look at the ears. A young bear will have it's ears sticking straight up. An older bear will have its ears sticking out to the sides.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.