Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by powdr
I've got a couple of Mauser builds coming in next week. Just some truck guns...nothing fancy. I want to scope them w/what I call second tier scopes. The only 3 I'm considering are the Burris FFII, the Redfield Revolution and the VX1, all in 3-9. I would like the duplex in all. I've found they can be had for about the same amount of money...used. The Grand Poobah has already cast his vote. If you want to comment about finding a deer lease or some other cordial remark...please move on. powdr

Can't speak for the 3-9, but in the 2-7's my VX-1 is only a skosh behind my VX-2. I've compared them a lot in different light conditions, and as far as seeing a critter to shoot I think the VX-1 stuff is a very big bang for the buck.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
BP-B2

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys, I appreciate all of the offers and suggestions but like the loony I am...I bought one of the ZV3's that Doug has on sale. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 03/21/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Powdr. That's an attractive deal for sure. Let us know how you like it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a fullfied ll love it, the eye relief is less than a loopy. but I think its a better scope (I have both)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Poobs, I'm the opposite. Sometimes scopes have too much eye relief...

One other weird thing about the FFII, rather than a normal power ring selector the entire ocular housing rotates when you adjust magnification.

I noticed that too..it can be a PITA

Especially with a lens cover.

As far as a "second tier" scope goes.....I'd choose Weaver over any of the three you listed.

Now....about that Deer lease....

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can't beat a Leupold-- look hard and you can find a VX1 for $179ish

My slug gun, muzzleloader and 10/22 all wear one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I picked up a newer brand instead of some of the second tier scopes mentioned. Looking for tough and naturally less money.

I bought a Hawke scope. So far I'm very happy with it. I haven't really put it through the paces yet but the eye box and field of are good and the optics are very nice.

Hawke makes some really tough air gun scopes so I'm hoping that reliability is built into their other scopes as well.

Dan

Sush, the dam price will go up if you share!!!!!!

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the used Conquests. Optics are eye relief are hard to beat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the guys like the Tract scopes that the rep is pushing here. Hard to say how they'll hold up though

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Drum, I bought a Tract last Fall.

Haven't put many rounds downrange with it so no idea on durability but optically speaking it is NICE.

Nothing second tier about the view.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Some of the guys like the Tract scopes that the rep is pushing here. Hard to say how they'll hold up though

Got to say I have a chit load of Leupolds and other good brands and the tract was from a quality standpoint the equal from what I have seen. The reticle in a MOAMOA and they are going to be a great tool.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Got to say I have a chit load of Leupolds and other good brands and the tract was from a quality standpoint the equal from what I have seen. The reticle in a MOAMOA and they are going to be a great tool.

And once they prove themselves to be a quality built product that stands up to abuse they might be better than second tier. Until then they're just another idea like Sig Optics or Maven, a company made up of former employees of another optics company.

Vortex has excellent customer service but I've owned a bunch of Vortex products and have had to send them in for warranty work multiple times. For the money they are fine and I know what to expect but to compare them to Swarovski or an "alpha" glass is laughable. Respect should be earned, not given due to a social media blitz. Time will tell if they are better than "second tier", until then it's the best they can do IMO

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Go with the Burris Full Field II.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M8 6x42's are still hard to beat and fall in that price range.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A few of this forum's members have tested or purchased Tract products. Based on their reviews I'd take a Tract over any Viper any day.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Enjoyed this discussion. Currently looking for something similar. Between the FFII and the VX1. Like the BDC reticle in the FFII a little better. Leaning that way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Poobs, I'm the opposite. Sometimes scopes have too much eye relief...

One other weird thing about the FFII, rather than a normal power ring selector the entire ocular housing rotates when you adjust magnification.

I noticed that too..it can be a PITA

Especially with a lens cover.

As far as a "second tier" scope goes.....I'd choose Weaver over any of the three you listed.

Now....about that Deer lease....

Well it's a nice enough little scope but the entire ocular and BC cap turning is a deal breaker. I don't like that at all.

Just leave it on 7x I guess...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the budget Nikons are the best deal for '2nd tier' optics.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Of those three for the prices available I'd go FFII no doubt. They've been excellent for me.

I'd add to that list the Weaver Grand Slam though. I love that Burris a lot but would put the GS against the FFII though I have become a huge fan of the BP so that'd edge out the Weaver.

I like the Burris too BUT the Grand Slams on sale at Natchez I think are a step above and have some of the best adjustments in the business. Right now there are some crazy screaming deals on them. I do not need a scope but have to stay off that site for fear of buying one. Definitely prefer it to a VX-1 or the Redfield which aren't bad but would likely take the Burris or Nikon over those. Had some time with all of them. No real lemons in the tree. Just think the GS may be next tier at a silly price.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
508 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 48 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.