Print Thread
Hop To
H
hound46 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I picked up a gun to be used. A 1975 Winchester 94. It has specks that look like they started as rust and then got steel wooled off. In fact I did it again. Typical places where the receiver was carried. My Oxpho blue is gone. That stuff has worked very well for me. I've read that the post 64 receivers are tough to reblue. Has anyone used Oxpho to touch up these receivers?

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I may have tried Ox and some heat at one time but for me it doesn't wear well. I ended up buying a small compressor and a air brush. Ordered Steve Lauers weapon paint in od green and took metal down to bare bones. In short that stuff wears like iron. Probably not what you want to read but that 94 is a favorite. Killed a lot of moose.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've used the stuff with good results though never on a 94. Some of the post-64 94s, as I understand it, are tough to refinish ad I've heard guys describe the receivers as having been made out of mystery metal. That may cause you problems from the get go.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hound46
I picked up a gun to be used. A 1975 Winchester 94. It has specks that look like they started as rust and then got steel wooled off. In fact I did it again. Typical places where the receiver was carried. My Oxpho blue is gone. That stuff has worked very well for me. I've read that the post 64 receivers are tough to reblue. Has anyone used Oxpho to touch up these receivers?
Probably won't work on a '94 from that year..

Here's some info that may help:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/questions-about-restoring-a-winchester-94.229432/

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have post-64 top eject. Bluing wore off, would rust in high humidity weather. Receiver wouldn't take bluing anyway.

Sent it to Lauer to have it Duracoated about 7 years ago. Great finish.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not necessarily a suggestion, but here's what I did to beat that weird alloy once. I bead blasted the receiver and then had it electroless nickled, ended up a soft gray color. I then blued every other visible part of the gun. When re-assembled it had a striking appearance- the blued parts against the electroless nickle made for a pleasing contrast. It endured some nasty weather, and still looked great years later when I sold it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very good idea... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
hound46 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the tips, guys. $15 shipping on a $9 bottle of Oxpho Blue. Going to wait until I need to order more before trying. Not bad for it's intended use now. I'll check schedule n if I get around to trying it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had one (customer's gun) would not blue the receiver, I tried and tried, finally sent it to Fogle's in Ohio - GREAT JOB!!! I am not set up for hot re-bluing, and I highly recommend Loren for the job!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Has anybody here ever draw filed/polished the pits out of one of those receivers and then tried to rust blue it? Just wondering.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've tried cold bluing 2 70's era 94's.

The first one was way before the internet and before I knew any better. I used Birchwood Casey blue because K-Mart had it and as I said, I didn't know any better. Who ever owned the rifle before me had sanded the receiver shiny, I always figured to try to give it a custom look as nothing else was touched or rusted. It actually dulled the metal but was never a deep finish. It looked almost original with very thin bluing on the receiver. Every couple of years I would give it another coat or two. It did help to keep rust at bay.

The second one was a basket case I got for next to nothing that needed just a couple of parts and a bunch of tlc. I bought it with the intention of fixing it and moving it along for a profit. I tried Oxpho Blue on it and it wouldn't cover. Thinking back to the Birchwood Casey I tried it, it wouldn't cover either.

Since I knew I wasn't keeping it I resorted to some of the Brownells spray and bake stuff. It covered but the black just looked ugly to me. The man who bought it seemed to think it was a thing of beauty.

To each his own I guess.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Has anybody here ever draw filed/polished the pits out of one of those receivers and then tried to rust blue it? Just wondering.

Yes, Wish I had some pics.

Gonna' have to sleep on just WHY the patron / friend loved it so,....I'm recollecting that I weren't overwhelmed. blush
I DID mask it with epoxy, and hit it with very aggressive Al-O, or some of that Arizona slag, ....prior to going after the rest of the clean up.

Gotta' say the Hot Blue colors don't bother me in the least,....but I'm long GONE from that racket, and ain't returning there.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oxpho Blue won't work on a 94 receiver

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by bea175
Oxpho Blue won't work on a 94 receiver

FWIW, have used Oxpho Blue a fair number of times the last 10 or so years. Most of the time it was for rebarreled rifles built on a mauser action, but there were none mauser action rifles too.

Anyway, learned that a barrel took Oxpho blue pretty good and generally turned out pretty nice. The heat treated/hardened receiver done with Oxpho never looked as good as the barrel.

However, did examine a barreled action once, belonging to a gun store owner. It had been a beat up, shot out barrel bolt action rifle he'd had in a used rifle section for awhile. He'd given it to a gunsmith he used, to be rebarreled. The rifle was going to be his truck rifle, hanging on a rack in its rear window and etc. Told the gunsmith, don't even blue it or anything. When he picked up the barreled action, it'd been blued by the gunsmith. Gunsmith explained to the gun owner, rifle turned out too nice and I just had too blue it for you (using Oxpho)....no charge for it. The gunsmith must have dunked the barreled action in a vat of Oxpho and let it soak for awhile. It was quite a remarkable finish on the rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.