Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Brian, do you haunt any of the Facebook waterfowl groups

there are Browming golds offered uo for good prices quite often

I don't. I can't stand FB. I make one exception, but that pretty much it.

Maybe after you let me try yours...

laugh

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Tom264
Yes, goose tastes awesome.
To be honest in the crockpot I can't tell the difference between it and venison roast.
Tates like liver to me and I hate liver. Lotsa guys I work with shoot them but none like the meat. They all make jerky out of it to cover the nasty taste.

Hum? Make sure you get all the blood out of the meat.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by cdb
Kingston, when you say Beretta's are gas and recoil operated are you talking about the KO as being the recoil part of the equation?

The KO system would be the third mechanism of recoil management

Never heard of recoil operation in a Beretta gas semi. What are you referring to?

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Brian, do you haunt any of the Facebook waterfowl groups

there are Browming golds offered uo for good prices quite often

I don't. I can't stand FB. I make one exception, but that pretty much it.

Maybe after you let me try yours...

laugh

That can be arranged. I'll tag you in the next ads that I see

A few weeks back there was one with a synthetic stock that the guy only wanted 700 bucks for

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What's up with needing a cannon to kill a goose?? All this talk of needing 10 gauges or 3/3½" 12 gauges slinging two ounces of shot has my head spinning. I have used nothing but 12 gauge (and a few 16's and 20's) in 2 3/4" with 1 1/8oz. of lead-like shot. The hundreds of birds I killed over the last ten years is proof that skill trumps cannons, no matter how much the glossy magazines, manufacturer's hype, and old wive's tales would have you believe otherwise. In this day and age of lead-like non-toxic shot there's no excuse for using steel shot which is the basis for the "more is better" myth. Expensive you say? Sure, but when compared to what you spend for licenses, trucks, decoys, blinds, guns, clothing, dogs, meals, etc., etc. that $2-3 per shot when filling a two goose limit is small potatoes. (Not to mention that with lighter loads you won't flinch as much and your shooting will dramatically improve- a win-win situation.)

The flyways were decimated 100+ years ago by market gunners shooting the lightest (most cost effective) loads they could- typically an ounce of lead out of a 12 gauge. Look me in the eye and tell me you believe geese are harder to kill now than they were 100 years ago.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/28/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
This is interesting as I am strongly considering hunting this year with a 20. I've been shooting a lot of sporting clays and focusing on passing type shots and realize that a lot of my crippled ducks this year were not due to poor steel performance but marginal hits with only a pellet or two on the bird. So many variables for incoming birds that can really only be practiced shooting clays.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What's up with needing a cannon to kill a goose?? All this talk of needing 10 gauges or 3/3½" 12 gauges slinging two ounces of shot has my head spinning. I have used nothing but 12 gauge (and a few 16's and 20's) in 2 3/4" with 1 1/8oz. of lead-like shot. The hundreds of birds I killed over the last ten years is proof that skill trumps cannons, no matter how much the glossy magazines, manufacturer's hype, and old wive's tales would have you believe otherwise. In this day and age of lead-like non-toxic shot there's no excuse for using steel shot which is the basis for the "more is better" myth. Expensive you say? Sure, but when compared to what you spend for licenses, trucks, decoys, blinds, guns, clothing, dogs, meals, etc., etc. that $2-3 per shot when filling a two goose limit is small potatoes. (Not to mention that with lighter loads you won't flinch as much and your shooting will dramatically improve- a win-win situation.)

The flyways were decimated 100+ years ago by market gunners shooting the lightest (most cost effective) loads they could- typically an ounce of lead out of a 12 gauge. Look me in the eye and tell me you believe geese are harder to kill now than they were 100 years ago.

You've shot hundreds of birds over ten years
My guys shot 328 just this season.

Htl loads are prohibitively expensive. I buy steel by the case.

Hesse aren't harder to kill, but they are much more call any and decoy wary. And recoil in modern autos is zilch. My Gold ten is like a 20 gauge

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by eamyrick
This is interesting as I am strongly considering hunting this year with a 20. I've been shooting a lot of sporting clays and focusing on passing type shots and realize that a lot of my crippled ducks this year were not due to poor steel performance but marginal hits with only a pellet or two on the bird. So many variables for incoming birds that can really only be practiced shooting clays.

I shoot a lot of ducks with a 20 and we even hold a couple of sub gauge goose hunts a year. But I don't care what anyone says I've never seen geese crumple like they do when getting hit with a pad of big pellets from a big 10

Last edited by gitem_12; 03/28/17.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Lead-like shot is expensive for guys who shoot a lot of geese (or shoot at a lot of geese) in a year. Big steel shot patterns a lot better out of a 10 ga than a 12 and the guns are typically heavy enough that the recoil is far less than a 12

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb
Kingston, when you say Beretta's are gas and recoil operated are you talking about the KO as being the recoil part of the equation?

Never heard of recoil operation in a Beretta gas semi. What are you referring to?

When the original Xtrema appeared it was unique. It combined a self-adjusting gas operating system with mechanical design elements typically associated with inertia/recoil operated autoloaders, specifically the forward mounted recoil and return spring. The Xtrema design integrates forward operating arms with the bolt into a single piece, allowing the forward mounted recoil spring to buffer bolt operation, much like recoil/inertia driven systems. While I haven't followed the most recent iterations, I'm under the impression this combination of mechanics remains unique to the Xtrema and its lineage. IIRC, this was talked up considerably when Beretta first launched the original Xtrema. In those days, Benelli owned the hearts and minds of the high dollar shotgunning waterfowling crowd, and Beretta was king of the clays. At the time, I remember thinking that Beretta's integration of design elements unique to their inertia driven competition was both curious and brilliant. I wondered if Beretta Holding's 2000 purchase of Benelli might not be a coincidence. Back in the 90's, the divide between Benelli's inertia fans and Beretta's gas gun fans was vastly wider than it is today. For a while the message coming out of Italy seemed set toward easing the passion of both sides. More recently, it appears as they mean to re cultivate these sorts of distinctions, but in a much softer, fuzzier, inclusive way—especially if it will keep buyers away from shotguns produced outside the Beretta Holding Group family.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You've shot hundreds of birds over ten years
My guys shot 328 just this season.

Htl loads are prohibitively expensive. I buy steel by the case.

Hesse aren't harder to kill, but they are much more call any and decoy wary. And recoil in modern autos is zilch. My Gold ten is like a 20 gauge

The group I hunt with is headed up by my buddy who owns three farms on the Eastern Shore, bought mainly for goose hunting. We have 11 pits and and a half dozen permanent blinds set up, not to mention the portable blinds. The group (including guests) passed the 500 mark a couple weeks before season's end but I don't know the final tally. My personal score is lower than some because my arthritis started to dictate my times in pits starting about ten years ago.

Out of the eight "regulars", one insists on using a Mag10 and steel mainly because he's one of those guys that has to be bigger than life in everything: an F350, 5000sq.ft. house, .300 Weatherby for deer, etc.- you know the type- and coincidentally he's about the worst shot I ever knew. An other guy uses a Benelli 3 1/2" because all the magazines tell him it's the best tool for the job. His kills are in the basement too. The rest of the guys woke up to reality and pile up the birds.

Most of us reload, and load stuff like ITX #2's by the case. Cheaper than steel? No, but not as crazy expensive as factory loads and just as effective. I stand by my statement that a couple bucks per shot per bird is still not worth talking about when considering the godawful costs a dedicated hunter can rack up in a season- even in a honey hole like ours.

Birds are warier now? Maybe so. Fewer birds? Definitely. But immaterial to the discussion when the hunter is skilled at calling, the blinds are skilfully built, and the adjoining river is black with geese as dawn breaks.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/28/17.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I shoot a lot of ducks with a 20 and we even hold a couple of sub gauge goose hunts a year. But I don't care what anyone says I've never seen geese crumple like they do when getting hit with a pad of big pellets from a big 10

Try hitting them with a wad of lead-like #2's from a tightly choked 12/16/20 too. Dead is dead.

Sometimes we get bored and do sub-gauge days- 28's and .410's. It calls for will power to wait and shoot until they're within bayonet range and pass up edgier shots do-able with a heavier gun, but again dead is dead.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by cdb

The KO system would be the third mechanism of recoil management.

Originally Posted by seal_billy
I have been shooting a SBE for years I also have a beretta 391. Love them both but if i were gonna get a goose only gun it would be a 10 ga or a gun that uses the invector plus choke system like a Browning silver, gold, maxis, or a winchester SX2,3 OR 4. I have spent many hours patterning shotguns and nothing shoots heavy loads of big shot better than a 10 or a 12 ga with a big bore diameter. All the invector plus barrels are back bored and shoot big shot sizes very well and they aren't near as picky about loads. Take it or leave it. If not for that I would go with the beretta, (if it fits you well) less recoil than the benellis too.

Aren't the newer Berettas, the Xtrema2 included, back bored? The Xtrema2s use Beretta's longer profile choke tubes. I forget what they're calling them.

For the record, I have an SP10 and a BPS10, but the OP asked about 12s. I'd love one of those new Browning 10s like Gitem's!

Yes but the beretta standard bore is .722ish. So when they overbored them 10 thousandths it is a mere .732, only 3 thousandths over standard American bore. Where as the FN winchester/Browning guns are overbored to .742. The choke tube length isn't all that important as long as they are 2" long most guys use extended chokes anyways and they have a longer taper and parallel section so it doesn't matter. I have a gold and had 2 others also had a SX2. they patterned better than the 2 M1s and my SBE and my 391. Very consistent with heavy loads and or big shot sizes.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Troy.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb

When the original Xtrema appeared it was unique. It combined a self-adjusting gas operating system with mechanical design elements typically associated with inertia/recoil operated autoloaders, specifically the forward mounted recoil and return spring. The Xtrema design integrates forward operating arms with the bolt into a single piece, allowing the forward mounted recoil spring to buffer bolt operation, much like recoil/inertia driven systems. While I haven't followed the most recent iterations, I'm under the impression this combination of mechanics remains unique to the Xtrema and its lineage. IIRC, this was talked up considerably when Beretta first launched the original Xtrema. In those days, Benelli owned the hearts and minds of the high dollar shotgunning waterfowling crowd, and Beretta was king of the clays. At the time, I remember thinking that Beretta's integration of design elements unique to their inertia driven competition was both curious and brilliant. I wondered if Beretta Holding's 2000 purchase of Benelli might not be a coincidence. Back in the 90's, the divide between Benelli's inertia fans and Beretta's gas gun fans was vastly wider than it is today. For a while the message coming out of Italy seemed set toward easing the passion of both sides. More recently, it appears as they mean to re cultivate these sorts of distinctions, but in a much softer, fuzzier, inclusive way—especially if it will keep buyers away from shotguns produced outside the Beretta Holding Group family.

Thank you for the explanation. I searched through Beretta's current literature and did not see any reference to what I was asking you about.

I've never noticed Berett gas guns to have less felt recoil than others, but it could be a fit issue. I've tried two, a 3901 and A300 and even with shims they didn't fit me well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The original Xtrema didn't fit me well. The LOP had very limited adjustment. IIRC it bottomed out at 14.25. Which is too long for me when bundled up for nasty late season hunting.

They remedied this with the Xtrema 2, which has enough adjustment to fit me pretty well. At the end of the day, the biggest plus for me is the Aqua coating.

Currently, I'm amidst a shotgun buying moratorium, which ironically is the first step toward buying a new shotgun. We'll see what happens. I might have to Huckleberry Finn Gnoahhh into making me some of his super loads.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm trying to keep from buying more shotguns too. Currently have 12 but have an itch for the Remington V3 and Fabarm XLR5 Waterfowler.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This place is no cure for such an ailment.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm shopping for a new turkey gun now. And am seriously considering one of the sx3 lomgbeards

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Use your new 10ga.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.