Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I will be picking up a new rifle this week.
Nosler M48 Outfitter in 375ruger.
Eventually I plan to hunt Cape Buffalo (3 or so years from now) and maybe a grizzly with it, but not this next trip.
Will be going to Limpopo in June, but only for plainsgame, with an Eland being the largest animal. Likely hunt nilgai in the next 2 years.

I am considering removing my Leupold VX3-L 3-10.5x50 from my 300wsm to use for this rifle. The eye relief is similar or the same as the normal 1-4 or 1-6 DG scopes. When it's time to hunt dangerous game, I might re-scope it with a typical DG scope. For now, it will likely wear this one. I find it hard to shoot with both eyes open anyway.

I plan to to use quick release system and am considering the Leupold Quick Release with low rings (since it is the VX3-L scoped that can sit lower to the barrel.)

When it comes to ammo, I am thinking about using something different than the normal 300 gr dangerous game offerings.
* Double Tap makes a 250gr TTSX
* Hornady makes a 250gr GMX in their Superformance

I am new to 375s. I've shot them, but not owned one.
My questions:
1. Any reason for not scoping it with what I already have? I can't really afford a new scope purchase presently. And, I know it will be used in longer range situations until I hunt buffalo with it. Then I can buy a new scope and plop it in the QR base if I choose to.

2. Anything wrong with the Leupold QR bases/rings?

3. Any thoughts on the ammo choice for my plainsgame hunt?
Or should I just use the 300gr that I will eventually use for buff? (of course it's all dependent on what round shoots well in this rifle)

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
dislexia it seems. Thread title should be "375". lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in the same situation a few years ago. Except I want an AK grizzly. I bought a 375 Ruger LH Hawkeye found here on 24 Hour Campfire. I put my Leupold VarX-III 2.5x8 on the rifle. I'm reloading my ammo. I've settled on 80 grains of IMR 4350 with a 270 Hornady round nose bullet. My Ruger really likes this load. I'm using the Ruger rings that came with the rifle, I can't comment on the QR rings. But if it says Leupold--it's quality.

Let me know when you start working up loads. I've got an assortment of bullets. I've also have factory ammo.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I wish that I could tell you that I will be working at loads. But I am a bi-vocational pastor and pharmacist. My time is very little between working and studying and preparing sermons. So I have never got into reloading because of that.

Looking at ballistic charts though it seems if I go with one of these 240 to 50 grain bullets the bullet trajectory is practically what is on my current cds dial for my wsm300 nosler 180gr accubond. Not that I will be shooting the 375 at 500 or 600 yards, though. Just a funny coincidence

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am not an African hunter, but do use the 375 Ruger often in Alaska. The 375 Ruger is one of my top favorite cartridges.

I have used DoubleTap 270 TSX in the 375 Ruger. I was pleased with there accuracy in my rifles. I currently hand load the 270 TSX and it is the bullet of my choice for the 375Ruger.

I tried the Hornady 250 GMX on the range, and was not overly impressed with the groups in my rifles. I was a bit disappointed because I envisioned using it as my all-around factory load.

As to scopes, I have used several on various 375's. I tend to use the straight tubed 1.1-4x24's or 1.5-6x42's. Though if situations dictated otherwise I would no issues using others.
In my opinion, for my maximum versatility in low light / near or far, the 1.5-6x42 or a 1.7-10x42 is it.
Though, I am having a struggle replacing a 1.1-4x24 that is on one of my most used 375Rugers. I tend to be more concerned with up close encounters than far away, and I appreciate the wide field of view.
If the 3-10x50 was what I had available, I would certainly put it on and use it for things that did not bite back or try to stomp me.
For potential biting/clawing/stomping encounters in the mix, I personally would go with the 1-4 /1-6 types.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have had the chance to run thru several factory loads in my 375 Ruger. I recently talked to Bill from Swift bullets and they at the time were just putting the 375 300 gn A frame load into production last winter he went ahead and sent the first factory loads out to test before they hit the market. Still not sure if they are available yet. They shot sub 1.5" at 100 out of a 21" barrel very impressed. I will be shooting theses on a spring bear hunt along with my son with his 270 win and the new A frame 150gn offering

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a .375 H&H last year and put a VXII 2x7 Leopold scope and it's done just fine. But I also installed Leopold aluminum rings that clamp onto the side of the top of the receiver (it's a CZ 550) and after a couple of hundred rounds they failed. Recoil gouged one side of the base of the rear ring and it started slipping. I replaced them with Warne rings that are much sturdier. Each ring is held in place with two screws instead of one like the Leopold.

B
B
When I started looking at the 375 Ruger a few years ago one of the articles I read was in Real Guns and one of the bullets that the author really liked was a 265gr GS Custom so I started looking at their website which is both informative and a little hard to navigate.
After much reading and emailing I ordered a box of .224 40gr for my sons 22-250 which work well in the 22-250 for deer. But that is another story.
So when I finally got my 375 I started researching and emailing again(got to love the web where else can we go to make bullet selection so hard) talked with owner of GS Custom in South Africa then to his daughter who is running a second plant in the USA they both told me that unless I had a chance of running into a angry elephant where I hunt that the 265 wasn't necessary and recommended that I went with a 200gr bullet moving around 3200fps. That seemed a little light to me but I figured that I would listen to them. When the bullets arrived I was very surprised, I was expecting short fat pistol like bullets instead they were quite long actually longer than some 250gr Seria Game Kings I have. I have not stretched it out past 250 yards but from what I've seen so far 350-400 yards is not out of the question for range.
This makes it on par with a 300 WM. I even talked to a African PH who uses the 200gr in a 375 H&H for Cape Buffalo with no problem with five of the last seven shots being complete pass through. If you want to take 1 rifle to Africa this combo my be it.
Shawn

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I sighted in yesterday at the range with some ammo I purchased from Double Tap. It is 270gr TSX.
Some considerations:
1. love it. Never owned a big bore. I enjoy shooting it.... for about 10 shots.

2. I am going to have to file down the inside edge on my bolt knob. It scraped the skin off my trigger finger just below the knuckle. lol.

3. 20 shots sitting down sighting in, even over a period of time, tends to not be as fun toward the end. lol.

4. It is more fun to shoot standing up.

I debated on what zero to use. I settled on 2 inches high at 100 yards for a 200 yard zero. I don't intend shooting that far, but like knowing that I can shoot to 250 pretty much level hold.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I use my 375 H&H out past 300 yards. Not often, but I have. And with Remington green box ordinary Coreloks. Scope was a Swarovski 3-12x50 30mmtube in Leopold QR not QRW. They work great. That was Namibia for kudu and gemsbok. I used such a big bell for last light leopard shooting. I won't shoot a leopard at night with a light. Then could put my backup old Red field 3-9 on if need be. So if a H&H with crappy Coreloks can do 300 plus yards, a 375 Ruger should be no problem as I have heard they shoot a touch flatter than the H&H. I am gonna try those 200 grain he's talking about as soon as I get a chance. I just moved and want to do my reloading bench very proper.

IC B3

B
B
I did not get the chance to try the 200s on meat this last hunting season I was backing up my son as he tried the 40gr in the 22-250 was not going to chase a wounded deer that little bullet passed through 23"of deer on a angle at 172 yards I will continue to back him up until I see a bullet go through at least 1 shoulder bone. Then the 375 will get a fair chance.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd like one of those nosler outfitter rifles in 35 Whalen.

They seem pretty sweet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rphguy

2. I am going to have to file down the inside edge on my bolt knob. It scraped the skin off my trigger finger just below the knuckle. lol.

You might try a bit firmer grip in order to accomplish the solution. I went through this years ago with both a 340 Weatherby as well as my little 358 Winchester in a Model Seven (with the knurled bolt knob). It doesn't take a lot to keep your hand moving with the rifle, but that is what is needed. I suppose that also means relaxing your arm somewhat so your hand isn't forced to be part of the 'recoil control'; I haven't really paid any attention to whether I have changed my technique in that regard,

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by rphguy

You might try a bit firmer grip in order to accomplish the solution. I went through this years ago with both a 340 Weatherby as well as my little 358 Winchester in a Model Seven (with the knurled bolt knob). It doesn't take a lot to keep your hand moving with the rifle, but that is what is needed. I suppose that also means relaxing your arm somewhat so your hand isn't forced to be part of the 'recoil control'; I haven't really paid any attention to whether I have changed my technique in that regard,

it seems like it only happens to me when I am sitting down shooting, i.e. sighting in, etc.
It hasn't happened when I'm standing. Probably because my whole body moves more when standing, instead of just my shoulder?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does the safety lock the bolt?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Does the safety lock the bolt?

no. I can cycle the ammo on safe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, thanks.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just started shooting 375 Ruger last summer. I bought a boat load of the 270 GR seconds from Midway last summer and did some initial load development.
However, I found GS Custom Bullets and did a bunch of research and also settled on the 200 GR HVafter talking with the the owner Gerard. However, I've been in Uganda since November, so they are sitting in Idaho waiting for me to get home the end of June. I also ordered some 7MM in 116 Gr. HV for my Tikka. I need to buy a chrono though as load development for the HV is different than conventional bullets. You load for speed first to determine pressure, then vary seating depth to tweak accuracy. Two reasons they are long for weight: First obviously is that they are mono copper. Second, is that the diameter of the bullet is equal to the lands of the barrel. They have a series of raised driving bands and the diameter of the bands is equal to the groves, or caliber. Much less surface area to engrave as the bullet travel down the barrel. So, most of the bullet is sub caliber, so they are longer for a given weight.

Perry
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Try DoubleTaps 235 grain grain load at 3100 fps!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.