Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking at picking up one in a 270win that is mint but not sure how they rate out of all the Sako actions. Are they good? Should I wait for a different model? Are they really heavy?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have previously owned two Left Hand MRI Mountain Eagle rifles based on the Sako L691 action. No complaints. No issues. No heartburn. Foolishly sold them off for something I can not remember. Would not mind having another LH MRI L691 action in the future for a build.

Biggest mod for the MRI L691 rifles was that they milled the top of the receiver to accept Rem 700 scope bases. Other than that, just solid, reliable Sako...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like he said. Best imported rifle ever, the entire "L" series.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had one in 7 mag.It was very well priced so home it came.Wood stocked and very nice bluing.Shot well.Magnum contour barrel,a bit heavy to me but I hunt with lighter rifles.Thought it to be very well made.I'd buy another.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How is the recoil lug attached in them? Is it one piece with the receiver, attached with screws or not attached at all?

Rob
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

Here is a couple is Sako L-61's. First year rifles, one is a 3 digit, the other a low 4 digit. Both are 264 Win mag with 26" barrels. They only made the 26" barrel the first year. These are hard to find in this condition. You can't beat Sako's.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BIN!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Recoil lug is a boss on bottom of action that fits into a right angle piece of metal that loosely fits into stock.When rifle is assembled it seems very secure .Scott

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by s2503000
Recoil lug is a boss on bottom of action that fits into a right angle piece of metal that loosely fits into stock.When rifle is assembled it seems very secure .Scott

Nothing to be worried about?

Rob
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I have previously owned two Left Hand MRI Mountain Eagle rifles based on the Sako L691 action. No complaints. No issues. No heartburn. Foolishly sold them off for something I can not remember. Would not mind having another LH MRI L691 action in the future for a build.

Biggest mod for the MRI L691 rifles was that they milled the top of the receiver to accept Rem 700 scope bases. Other than that, just solid, reliable Sako...

That might've been something that MRI did because I've had 2 also (still own one) and it has the typical Sako dovetails.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had an L 691 for a long time, they are heavy but accurate. The separate recoil lug hasn't been an issue, I have bedded mine into the stock though. Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag bedded into a Brown precision stock and weighs about 8 1/2 lbs scoped, the wood stock added about 1 pound or so to the weight.The non magnum guns should be somewhat lighter. If has been used a lot like mine you may need a new spring under the extractor but those aren't too hard to find. I do prefer my 85 to it but the L 691 is a quality gun

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gerry35
I have had an L 691 for a long time, they are heavy but accurate. The separate recoil lug hasn't been an issue, I have bedded mine into the stock though. Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag bedded into a Brown precision stock and weighs about 8 1/2 lbs scoped, the wood stock added about 1 pound or so to the weight.The non magnum guns should be somewhat lighter. If has been used a lot like mine you may need a new spring under the extractor but those aren't too hard to find. I do prefer my 85 to it but the L 691 is a quality gun

I'm surprised to hear someone prefers the 85 to it...

My plan is to put it into a McMillan Edge stock

Rob
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Originally Posted by Orion2000

That might've been something that MRI did because I've had 2 also (still own one) and it has the typical Sako dovetails.

Yes. Milling the top of the receiver was an MRI modification to open up the selection of scope bases available for the MRI Mountain Eagle rifles. All other Sakos that I have owned have the typical Sako dove tails.

My MRI L691 actions had a round collar that protruded down around the front action screw. Sako/MRI shipped a separate recoil lug that engaged the round protrusion on the bottom of the action. It would be no issue to bed the separate recoil lug into a fiberglass stock. I "might" even have one left over in a parts box somewhere if needed. However, both of my rifles went into HS Precision stocks. The bedding blocks in the HS stocks were designed to eliminate the separate recoil lug. VERY close tolerance on the HS stocks. I got sub-MOA accuracy without glass bedding either one.

Not an expert by any means. Only two data points. But, positive experience with both of my L691's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by harv3589
Originally Posted by gerry35

I'm surprised to hear someone prefers the 85 to it...

My plan is to put it into a McMillan Edge stock

The 85 has some features I like better that's all, nothing wrong with the L 691 rifles. If you put that 270 into and Edge I bet you could get it 8 lbs or less with a fairly lightweight scope. They are solid guns with a great trigger, I bet it will shoot great too.

Gerry.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those sako dove tails don't work on the 416 the scopes blew off .I.had one sako.416 beautiful gun but cheek piece punched you like a boxer and scope fell off after a few shots .They work on.smaller calibers I.heard .If you want a 264 win mag barrel to.last longer shoot 140 grain or heavier bullets only and clean it with a rope cleaner when needed .

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had a Sako AV chambered .375H&H for several years. Leupold 1.75x6e mounted on top with the tapered "slip-on" dove tail bases. Shot a couple boxes of factory cartridges and a world of hand loads thru it with nary a problem. Data point of only one. However, no issues with secure scope mounting at the .375H&H power/recoil level.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was to plunge back into a Sako, it would be an AIII or AV (slightly longer tang)
Looking back I wish Id kept them instead of going for the new M70 classics.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starman
If I was to plunge back into a Sako, it would be an AIII or AV (slightly longer tang)
Looking back I wish Id kept them instead of going for the new M70 classics.

Sako, the Rolex of hunting rifles.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well took the plunge and bought it. Looking forward to getting it. Should be a nice rifle.

Rob
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great, can't wait to see pics. I've got a little something en route myself!
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (160user, 12344mag, 257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 71 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.