Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just got an email today, saying the my wife's 8x30 SLC Swaros are on the way back after some warranty work, and restoring the coating on the lenses. I am pretty anal about keeping dust and other stuff off the lenses of my binocular, but she regards the factory lens covers as "clunky" and refuses to use them. She also doesn't want to use a harness to carry her binocular.

I need some ideas about a binocular pack that is simple to carry and easy to access the binocular inside. Since recoating the lenses cost $150 above the warranty work, she is in the mood to try something else. I would appreciate your suggestions as to what might work for her. Thanks in advance!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It must be something in the corporate mind that even the very top end binos don't provide mostly decent lens covers. Is this rocket science? I could probably do better with duct tape and some PVC tubes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep my bare in AGC bino packs. What packs has she tried?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
I keep my bare in AGC bino packs. What packs has she tried?
She hasn't tried any, but has agreed to do so--that is why I am looking for suggestions from people who have actually used them.

Ben

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the AGC pack the best because of the extra little pockets. If that's not important to her, the FHF gear pack is nice and compace. The small one would be the perfect size for those 8x30's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use binocular packs now, both FHF and AGC. If you don't want to go that route, buy some Butler Creek scope caps that fit. Once you find the correct size, they actually work quite well. I know, I know, who wants to flip up 4 caps? They do work to protect the lenses.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Does anybody have any experience with the Rick Young Outdoors binocular cover? It looks like it has a smaller profile and hugs the body more so than other binocular packs.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You've seen my setup ben. I love the badlands magnetic closure case. Its also handy for keeping a call, wind powder and a tube of chapstick handy at all times.

Last edited by jmgraham1986; 03/24/17.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
You've seen my setup ben. I love the badlands magnetic closure case. Its also handy for keeping a call, wind powder and a tube of chapstick handy at all times.
Maybe if you tell her? She has a hard time accepting suggestions from me. grin

Ben

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another vote for the AGC.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use and like the Kuiu bino harness. Complete protection and easy access with some practice.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ben, get her a $250 set of Vortex wink

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the binocular came back from Swarovski looking like they had sent us a new one, and they included a new set of lens covers. The new style ocular lens cover that is click adjustable solved her problem with the old style, and she can live with the new set of objective lens covers that fit much better than the old ones did. We may go ahead and buy a binocular pack, probably an FHF once they get them back in stock.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ben

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ben,

Muley Freak just came out with their own bingo harness which looks a lot like an improved version of the Kuiu harness. I am thinking hard about giving that a try.

https://muleyfreak.com/product/stealth-bino-harness/

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Wow that Muley Freak harness solves every minor inconvenience I have with my Kuiu harness. And creates a new one with that front pocket. Everything is a compromise!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought this one about five or six years ago, been pretty happy with it. Can't remember the brand name, a company in AK if I remember right. I could go dig them out should you decide you are interested,

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rjf611
Wow that Muley Freak harness solves every minor inconvenience I have with my Kuiu harness. And creates a new one with that front pocket. Everything is a compromise!

I looked at that to see about cutting it off... might have to order one and do some modifying...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is wrong with the case that they came with? I use the Butler Creek Storm Caps made for scopes with the clear glass windows on mine and they work great. Those Butler Creek packages are reclosable, so take the binos in and just keep trying them at the sport shop until you get the right sizes that fit. The storm caps with the windows work great on your scope too.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Tagging in. We'll be releasing a new binocular harness and cover system in the next few months. I'll get it posted as soon as I get the final details and images.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by rjf611

I looked at that to see about cutting it off... might have to order one and do some modifying...

I have one and it is a nice unit.
I think it should be a bit bigger as my Nikon LX 8x32 are a pretty snug fit. Not sure how most makers x 40's compare size wise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.