Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I have an itch that I have been wanting to scratch for a while and the fix is the following...

Kimber Mnt Accent - 280 Ackley w/ a SWFA 3-9X

Idea is a mountain rifle/backpack rifle that could be used in longer range when needed (6-700 yards max for me)

Could i do any worse?
Rifle - 5 pounds/5oz
Scope - 19 oz
Rings - 2-3oz

Puts me at 6 pounds 11-12oz...not too shabby

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds good, if you get one that shoots. Lots of bad reports on Kimber rifles.. Seems like there are more bad ones than good. Good luck.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The odds are that you'll get a Kimber that shoots just as well as anything else. The problem is finding shooters who can shoot a rifle that light accurately.

I have one in 308. With Leupold VX-2, 3-9X40 on it in Talley lightweights it is still a hair under 6 lbs. Like most Kimbers it shoots great if I do my part. Not the rifles fault, but I tend to shoot some other rifles in the 7-7.5 lb range better. I don't seem to shoot anything over 8 lbs any better than the 7.5 lb rifles.

You're looking at about 3/4 lb more than my rifle, almost 7 lbs. I think it'll be fine.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Sounds good, if you get one that shoots. Lots of bad reports on Kimber rifles.. Seems like there are more bad ones than good. Good luck.

Lots of reports of Kimbers shooting amazing too....

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Is there a reason you would go with the 280 AI? Brass is more expensive than 270 or 30/06? Just curious?

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Im not a 30/06 guy and have no interest in owning one so that's out. I would be fine with the 270 as that has always been my go to round, just thought the 280 ackley would offer a better selection of lower drag, longer range bullets.

Last edited by Hiaring8; 03/24/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
19 oz scope? What you going with?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The setup is fine as long as it shoots and you can shoot it. The concept of an ultra-light and long range don't go well together. In reference to long range this would be considered ultra-light...imho.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by GeoW

SWFA SS 3-9x42hd...

I don't want to make this a dedicated LR rig, but if I needed to reach out for a sheep or goat, I want to be able to dial in and reach out to say 5-600 yards and dial it in then back out. I feel that 5-600 yards is just to long to trust to a bdc reticle and just hold over.

Last edited by Hiaring8; 03/24/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

SWFA SS 3-9x42hd...

I don't want to make this a dedicated LR rig, but if I needed to reach out for a sheep or goat, I want to be able to dial in and reach out to say 5-600 yards and dial it in then back out. I feel that 5-600 yards is just to long to trust says because reticle and just hold over.

The Leupold VX6/VX6HD in 3-18x44 with CDS, zero locks on both turrets, and illumination clocks in at 19.2 oz. It's what I'm putting on my 308 mountain Ascent (if it ever comes in). Just a thought.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

SWFA SS 3-9x42hd...

I don't want to make this a dedicated LR rig, but if I needed to reach out for a sheep or goat, I want to be able to dial in and reach out to say 5-600 yards and dial it in then back out. I feel that 5-600 yards is just to long to trust says because reticle and just hold over.

Good choices all the way around.

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DLSguide

I've offered to buy those "terrible shooters" in alibers I'm interested in many times on this forum for a fair price for a "terrible non-shooting rifle" and the owners seem to never want to get rid of them, or they want to sell at "as new in box" prices. Think about it... I put my money where others mouths are and they wouldn't follow through. It tells your the story on it's own.

Light rifles like the montanas, adirondacks, and mountain ascents have some kick even in calibers like 308, they also are designed to kill critters in rough conditions after being toted for a long time. They aren't benchrest guns, and tehy aren't built to choot tiny groups. But with good technique and patience at the bench and a good ammo combination they willl shoot 1" 5-shot groups alll day long. It just might take you all day to let the barrel cool between shots.

;]

All 6 of my Kimbers shoot MOA or better, and most of them have pretty low power scopes. I've got new production, guns and guns dating abck to 2004 in both 84M, 84L and 8400 (short action) Actions. They all weigh less than other guns designed to do the same thing, and they bite a little bit on the back end, but they work perfectly for my needs in their intended direction.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For 600-700 yard shots you need more scope power wise.
The Kimber is plenty accurate enough if you follow the BRAD tune-up protocol.
The big unknown is your ability to shoot well.
Actually I think 600-700 yards is just to far. Learn how to stalk.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RinB
For 600-700 yard shots you need more scope power wise.
The Kimber is plenty accurate enough if you follow the BRAD tune-up protocol.
The big unknown is your ability to shoot well.
Actually I think 600-700 yards is just to far. Learn how to stalk.

I simply could not disagree more...

How much game or how many targets have you shot at 600+ yards with a 9x scope my friend? It's really hard to make blanket statements like you have made, especially to experienced riflemen. 600-700 yards is a chip shot for lots of folks. Come hunt coues deer in the AZ Backcountry and you'll love the ability to potentially shoot that far.

Have you ever wanted to take an animal that was 600+ yards out and there was literally no topographical way to get closer unless you spook them into the next county and then have to pass because it's 300 yards out of range but conditions were perfect?

I'll simply say that I suspect you hunt in country back East for the most part. Where do you do most of your hunting?

Thanks....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was thinking of getting a kimber ascent in 7mm or 300wm at one point but decided not to. I just don't have much use for such a gun since I don't take such long shots at animals and I don't really shoot many magnums.

In fact the only magnum I have now is a few 375HH rifles which are just for bear stuff and because I like them. 99% of my hunting happens with 308, 06 or a 270.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So I have an itch that I have been wanting to scratch for a while and the fix is the following...

Idea is a mountain rifle/backpack rifle that could be used in longer range when needed (6-700 yards max for me)

Could i do any worse?
Rifle - 5 pounds/5oz
Scope - 19 oz
Rings - 2-3oz

I have that setup with about 80 rounds through it I'll sell you for $2000 shipped and insured.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't speak for kimber rifles, as I've not used any. But that 3-9SS sounds perfect for what you want to do. The more I use mine the more impressed I am with it. It's tough, dials correctly, and returns to zero. The Milquad reticle is extremely user friendly and useful. I just put mine on a 308, had it dialed in in 4 shots. Checked 250 yard zero, 500 yards, 700 yards, then to 1100 yards. They were all on. Can't ask for more.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Could i do any worse?
Rifle - 5 pounds/5oz
Scope - 19 oz
Rings - 2-3oz

It's a good idea.

NF instead of SWFA
[Linked Image]

I imagine you'll get one that is fine, but this one was an epic chit show. Horribly cut chamber, stock really jacked up, and needed every trick. It started off shooting terrible... and never got much better..... until a new barrel.

Took a lot of work to go from 4+ MOA to this...
[Linked Image]

Then a lot more to get to this and it's the best it ever got...
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JMR40
The odds are that you'll get a Kimber that shoots just as well as anything else. The problem is finding shooters who can shoot a rifle that light accurately.

I have one in 308. With Leupold VX-2, 3-9X40 on it in Talley lightweights it is still a hair under 6 lbs. Like most Kimbers it shoots great if I do my part. Not the rifles fault, but I tend to shoot some other rifles in the 7-7.5 lb range better. I don't seem to shoot anything over 8 lbs any better than the 7.5 lb rifles.

You're looking at about 3/4 lb more than my rifle, almost 7 lbs. I think it'll be fine.

Now I've only shot a dozen or quite a few more.... But ULA/NULA's are light as well, correct....? Wonder why you don't hear about them not shooting good.... Nor do the same people that have bad shooting Kimbers because they "don't know how to shoot light rifles" have any problems shooting the exact guns once they get them rebarreled...

Kimber has an awesome package with the Montana/Ascent /etc, but their QC sucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be all 7-08.

Screw that 24" bbl and the long action.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.