Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm also planning to hike the AT through TN this summer. I like backpacking - when its not hot out. My big issue is sweating for 8-12 hours a day while hiking, then crawling into a sleeping bag at the end of the day. Hate that feeling worse than I like backpacking.

When its cool-coolish out, I keep the sweat at bay with a pre-moistened 'towel' - think giant size handy wipe. During elk season, I can go 2-3 days OK because its cool out and I'm in hunting mode rather than hiking mode. The towel idea works well. When I hunt out of a base camp, I do a sunshower (1/2 boiling water, 1/2 cold = ~ 100 degree water temp).

How do you guys mitigate the sweat issue when its warm out?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Baby butt wipes work ok but these larger bath wipes are easier to use. They do cost more, though.

[Linked Image]

I don't recommend the Western Family brand of wipes. I tried them and they dry too fast plus they fall apart. Name brands like Pampers work much better.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and to add...in cold weather, these things will freeze the balls off a brass monkey. The alcohol, or whatever it is they use in them, dries fast and cold.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
the same company R.C. posted the photo
of the wipes^ ^ No-Rinse^ ^ also makes
some other no rinse products. i use their
no rinse body bath for camp outs and hunting
when it's cold here. you get about a pint +-
of water hot and put about a tablespoon of
product in the water and use a washrag to
scrub yourself with the solution. i've
used it a long time, and it works great.
cowbellys used to have it, but i usually
buy mailorder from campmor.
good luck

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If water is plentiful, I heat the largest container in my pack to luke-warm. Then pour it over my head and wash the critical acreage. Air dry or use and old shirt. It's amazing how good this feels. One liter will get it done. Use cold water if you're a stud. Not me.

If truck camping and hiking, I'll take a big coffee-type pot that holds at least 2 liters and do same. Amazing.

Short of this, it's baby wipes.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Baby wipes, body glide, deodorant/antiperspirant, and diaper rash oitment. Keeps me fresh enough.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I jump in a freezing creek or lake in the summer for about 15 seconds smile Feel way better. Full submersion and a plan to get dry and warm .. does the body good

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm also planning to hike the AT through TN this summer.

I hear those AT shelters can get crowded?

Why not forego the amenities, and have the place all to yourself?

Seriously though, Arm & Hammer unscented baking soda deodorant will keep the pits from stinking for days on end.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I jump in a freezing creek or lake in the summer for about 15 seconds smile Feel way better. Full submersion and a plan to get dry and warm .. does the body good
+1 Nothing like a good bath in the creek or lake.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has lots of hot springs. Beats the heck out of a frigid lake.
However, some years ago I was snorkling in a high mountain lake. The top 2' was reasonably warm as I drifted along on the surface. Then I'd put my arm down. At about 2.5', I'd hit the layer. My hand would be in water at least 40F colder than the surface.

― George Orwell

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hot spring yes , I would take that any day. However, the alpine lake sure can wake you up and make you feel refreshed in a hurry.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can feel as refreshed in 3 sec as I can in 15.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They can get crowded with people and bears. I'm taking a tent and looking at the Regs for random back country camping.

You guys do the same things I do. The giant towel size baby wipes work best when no creek/lake is around. I've also soaked in a creek at mid-day - really refreshing. Still hate that stanky, sticky funk at the end of the day when it's hot.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hot spring yes , I would take that any day. However, the alpine lake sure can wake you up and make you feel refreshed in a hurry.

One year in Colorado the second season, the year we got the snow storm that shut everything down for a few days (2006?), I couldn't take it any longer. We heated water and set up a quasi shower stall outside the tent, mostly to cut the wind. It was close to zero outside. Ive never been that cold. But slept like a baby.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I pack with llamas. On hot days I don't sweat as much because I'm not carrying a load but I can get smelling like a llama...and they're not odor free.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wilderness bath: Fill a plastic drinking water bottle with warm water, one with a squirt top is best and a quart is more than you need. Carry a microfiber wash cloth and towel. In deep cold, only uncover and wash one part of your body at a time and I like to have a 4 oz. squirt top flat bottle of liquid soap. Wet the cloth and soap it a bit, scrub and rise off or sponge off. The squirt bottle is excellent for washing hair. Wet hair, shampoo and then rinse with squirts. I feel a lot better in my sleeping bag, as mentioned earlier.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great idea! Thank you.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Yep Im with ya on that one kev.....invigorating alright,, takes a bit of courage to!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Wilderness bath: Fill a plastic drinking water bottle with warm water, one with a squirt top is best and a quart is more than you need. Carry a microfiber wash cloth and towel. In deep cold, only uncover and wash one part of your body at a time and I like to have a 4 oz. squirt top flat bottle of liquid soap. Wet the cloth and soap it a bit, scrub and rise off or sponge off. The squirt bottle is excellent for washing hair. Wet hair, shampoo and then rinse with squirts. I feel a lot better in my sleeping bag, as mentioned earlier.

Spot-on advice.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 61 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.