Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
When I was but a lad, back in the '60's, this was a project. I bought an old Egyptian .43 Roller, got a 45-70 kit from Numrich Arms. The kit included everything but the action. I head spaced it with a big bastard file, used the farm vice with a piece of leather to pad the action, used leather to pad a Crescent wrench. Octagonal barrel lends itself to such treatment... smile

Worked well. I helped a friend set up bluing tanks, polished and blued the action. I cast a few wheel weight bullets, loaded some ammo. I was sitting on the back steps at home, a bird lit on a gate around 20 yds. away. I took careful aim and fired. The bird flew, but that big ole slug hit the gate. It was one of those wire gates with a pipe frame. Well that top pipe suddenly had a new bendable joint... shocked

Dad wasn't too happy, asked what I was going to do about it. In typical teenage smartazz fashion, I replied, "I'm going to elevate the rear sight two clicks". All the old man could do was try to hide a grin. Never heard anything else about the gate.

All that had to have been pretty cheap, or I wouldn't have been able to afforded it. It took big sacks of pecans to produce a few bucks for gun and ammo money.

It actually shoots pretty good, weighs 10#, 10 oz. Packs like a piece of railroad iron, but it doesn't kick that bad.

DF

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Wonderful story
Tell that to a grandkid when you pass it down

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Now, what if one of those little turkeys pulled the same or similar stunt... shocked

Now, I could see my old Dad, just a grinning.

Pay back time...! laugh

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good times! My story is very similar to yours. My RB started as a 7mm basket case I found at a garage sale for $25, a Numrich kit and some crude tools to fit it. After I filed the barrel so the action would close, the rim headspace was too short so a hand ground drill bit chucked in a hand drill was employed. Not pretty but it worked! I first tested mine out on a gallon pail of roofing tar in the back yard. An impressive shower of black goop resulted. The next time I mowed the lawn I had to stop twice to clean the tar off the mower blade.
I finished mine with a faux case colored finish that I read about in some magazine using a torch and tincture of Benzoin IIRC. In the early 80's I tore it down and sent the receiver in to Color Case Company for a real case color finish, added a vernier tang and globe front and reshaped the wood. Not a Shiloh, but I was pretty proud of it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You took yours to a higher level, looks great.

To a Loony, especially a young and upcoming Loony, a project like that is raw meat to a junk yard dog... laugh

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Did much the same as you did, DF, Started with a .43 Egyptian action, added new Treebone wood, new Badger barrel and Shiloh barrel sights. First summer I had it shootable, I went through 15 pounds of BP, 1500 primers and about 100 pounds of lead. Seems all I did that year was clean, prep, load, shoot . . . repeat. Lots of fun.

[Linked Image]

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had Dave Higginbotham do mine.....all 7 of them....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I would like to do a similar project. I was in contact with Higginbotham and was hoping to fund the project with a sale of something else. I wanted the 50-70 Custer model. I drug my feet too long and he passed before I could get my act together.
I still want to proceed but haven't investigated in another rolling block smith.
The donor rifle is a 7mm my father bought at Sears Roebuck in SF in the early 60's. It was just something to hang on the wall.
I am open to suggestions. Am not handy enough, nor equipped, to do any of the metal work myself.

Gorgeous rifles Sharps1874. And the other posters too!

Lou M

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Them are some nice guns boys. Thanks for sharing the memories and pics.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sharps1874
I had Dave Higginbotham do mine.....all 7 of them....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Man, you rolling...!

Seriously, great guns, well done.

DF

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tell me 'bout that second one from the top. I've had a couple guys swear they didn't come with double set triggers. I owned one at one time. I've always wondered.

The story, as I heard it, was my ex gun was owned by an old lady who lived on the Oregon coast. My grandfather stopped to help her with something or other, a sea lion appeared out in the surf, and she let him take a whack at it with her late husband's old rolling block. I guess he hit it. When she died, it was gifted to him.

It came to me. My father made me sell it. frown

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one of the Navy Arms (Pedersoli) RB's back in college - a .45-70. IIRC it had the 30" heavy barrel. I found a tang sight and front globe for it. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, but had good eyesight. Shooting smokeless & jacketed bullets, I put 3 in 1 1/8" at 100 yards. Eventually I got bored with it, and sent it down the road.

Recently I saw Wtxj's swedish roller in .45-120. Dunno about the cartridge, but the finish and workmanship was very nice. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.