Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#11940886 03/31/17
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
At what range does the requirement of an other than regular scope ring base make a difference? Is it correct to assume that the normal mounting systems are good to 3-400 yards and then beyond that is a long range system required or is it scope dependent? Educate me!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You won't need anything special for 300-400 yds depending on the scope you choose a 10 20 or 30 moa picatinny rail will help if shooting 600 and beyond!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
At what range does the requirement of an other than regular scope ring base make a difference? Is it correct to assume that the normal mounting systems are good to 3-400 yards and then beyond that is a long range system required or is it scope dependent? Educate me!

Assuming you are dialing elevation, it depends on how much internal adjustment your scope has left after zeroing. I had a 4.5-14 Zeiss conquest with target turrets that would only get me a little over 400 yards in my .308. If holding over, or using a holdover type reticle, it doesn't matter.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for your responses.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In standard hunting calibers the standard base will get you to 800+ with most 30mm tubes. My 308 needs no built in MOA to get to 1050yards. The 30 MOA base extended the range to 1400 depending on the humidity and altitude. But 1350 is pretty common with it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shootsaswede

Not all chamberings or boolits are the same. Nor are all scopes or mounting systems. Hint.

Here's a ballpark extrapolation of what will be yielded,under the courteous assumption of a rifle that is of sound bridge height geometry. You will effectively NET half of total erector travel,after attaining a sane zero.

So while contemplating mounting solutions is in fact,one facet of the criteria to evaluate,the scope itself is far more important. Tube diameter does not correlate in lineal fashion,to erector travel. As magnification goes up,erector travel tends to go down. Folks who open with a tube diameter,cetainly wouldn't know a MOA from a Mil...and would certainly prove it. Laffin'!

Further,few scopes ACTUALLY track/repeat with their erector systems and most glass that folks swoon,are amongst the schittiest "performers" in the mechanics of that which is MOST required.

Your best opening move is to shop scope MECHANICS and keep erector travel,the reticle and turret graduation scale(s) in mind. Glass that doesn't/can't/won't track will negate anything nearing effectiveness. Same goes minimal erector travel(even if it is spot on reliable) and a turret erector graduated in lineal dimensioning different from the reticle. Schit only gets worse,when talking second focal plane reticles,BDC's and CDS fhuqking bullschit. Though many Makers and Users "flaunt" same,which is never not funny. Hint.

The fast track to instant and longterm gratifications,is either 6x or 10x fixed glass,wearing a MilQuad reticle and MilScale erector turret. Everything jives and holdoffs in both elevation and windage,align lineally with the erector's values,so the combinations of arranging a solution,are boundless in versatility.

Of course,there are those who are reliably stumped in Mils,because 1/10 values are "tricky". Laffin'!

For those with an IQ of 17 or better,it is more than intuitive and nothing is faster or more precise. Hint.

While the 400yd line is a very modest distance with even a 22LR,there are scopes that will happily compensate those corrections with a "flat" base and others that simply cannot,no matter the mounting system. That due both integrity of the tracking/repeat and the volume of same,that is available.

In a nutshell,EVERYTHING beneath your zero range in regards to erector travel,is 100% fhuqking useless. The ONLY way to turn that tide,is with inclination and that can be done a number of different ways. Most important and THE most often overlooked,is making certain that windage is mechanically centered,in relation to the bore. If your windage isn't centered and you chase it via internal scope adjustment,elevation erector travel is stolen on the spot. Hint.

"Long Range" means different things,to different folks. I'd not assign a broad brushstrokes yardage determination to denote the happenstance,but would state simply that it is any/all distances beyond your zero range,where POA/POI intersections mandate correction to intersect. So it is different,for all boolits/chamberings/BC's/velocities. Hint.

I shoot a plethora of platforms and "Long Range" starts at 31yds with my FWB 300,due it's 30yd zero. My 22LR's start at 51yds,due their 50yd zero. My 17 Hummers start at 126yds,due their 125yd zero. Yada,yada,yada...all up/down the relative scale of velocity and BC. Hint.

27 MOA unitized rail here.

[Linked Image]

Now obviously a 51yd 22LR correction from a 50yd zero,is rather modest,but the start is always the fhuqking start. The bullet has crossed line of sight twice at said distance and is forever dropping beyond that range. Hint.

Using the 22LR chambering as an example,I'm happiest when they're sighted with one of the above cited optics(6x or 10x Fixed MQ),because of their parallax adjustment capability(rear focus) and incredible amount of erector travel (40+ Mils each). In conjunction with same,they have 10 more Mils on the reticle. So I strive to eek as much of the mechanical adjustment that I can. Why? EVERYTHING below the 50yd zero is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint.

So I had a batcha 75MOA 1913 extended rails made for Anschutz 54's,to grant that very thing and typically enjoy 38-40 Mils of erector travel with a 50yd zero and "flat" rings,with said inclination. Add the reticle's 10 Mils to the equation and it's easy to brandish a 700yd ++ capable 22LR.

[Linked Image]

Were you to state the chambering of interest,the projectile of interest and the platform being used...it'd be very easy to pinpoint both mounting and optics selection(s) and extrapolate their relative abilities,in regards to what said meldings would realize in POA/POI correction volume and their effective range of compensation,as applied to both distance and adjustment capabilities. Hint.

So rather than get hung up on mounting systems,you'd be wise to think sound optical mechanics first,second and last.

You've been led to water.

Hint.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sugar tits where is the box the kids came in. Guess you are just loading wishing you could to. hint!!! Side note. You and kimber must be haven a nightly eating contest. Priceless
I've killed more elk with open sites than you have seen and that counts the child brides coos retreat. Rehint. Mills is my hunting Pard say you could to.

Every thing gun nothing life. Laughing πŸ˜† Where's the box the neighborhood played with.

Last edited by fredIII; 04/02/17.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Poor Larry mommas fΓ»ckn the guy cross town and he still thinks erector travel trumps all. Bet she's erecting something LOL. Sad sack of chit.

Is dinner in the deep fat fryer sugar tots. Pun intended.

Oh and my home boy is selling Norma 300 winney uber cheep. Here's to you wishing you could to. https://modernarmsinternational.com/shop/300wm-unprimed/

If you need to borrow a couple bucks just holler it must suck looking for love on the res.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Fred3
Larry has his problems, but by comparison to you and your vulgarity, he is an intelligent, articulate class act.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Royce
Fred3
Larry has his problems, but by comparison to you and your vulgarity, he is an intelligent, articulate class act.

Thank a bunch for you input.

Last edited by fredIII; 04/04/17.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Fred3

Everyone is thinking this, but nobody wants to say anything. Mainly because frediii will spin out in a 3 week attention whoring tirade to try and prove his pecker is as big as his vocabulary.

The part where frediii airs someone else's dirty laundry shows how desperate he is not only for attention, but for everyone's approval that he is better than Larry.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higbean
Fred3

Everyone is thinking this, but nobody wants to say anything. Mainly because frediii will spin out in a 3 week attention whoring tirade to try and prove his pecker is as big as his vocabulary.

The part where frediii airs someone else's dirty laundry shows how desperate he is not only for attention, but for everyone's approval that he is better than Larry.

Both of these hit the nail on the head.

Being the biggest a-hole on the internet and then proving it day after day takes a special talent. Getting back at somebody by airing their personal problems is beyond low and not worth responding to.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Poor Larry he really is the victim in all this. Just minding his p & q and viciously attacked. 😰

What would ever be a reason to treat someone so badly. You guys sure can tug a heart string.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Maybe his slandering of my wife, just may have let this cat out of the bag!!

But poor Larry can't get a break. Got to give you guys credit you take good care of your mascot.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Did he post pics of your wife breast feeding?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
Being the biggest a-hole on the internet and then proving it day after day takes a special talent.

Bob

100% true Bob. As hard as my little buddy BigStick may try to do so, and make no mistake, this is not a slam of him, he does try. He will never be able to hold a candle to a couple of our members in the below thread. Neither he, nor Fred, can come close to some of these guys.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...11943172/Good_or_Bad_Shoot?#Post11943172

One only need join the 24HC forum to see more a-holes than one would spending a lifetime under the bleachers of the most frequented stadiums in the U.S. I'll include myself in that classification lest I look like a huge hypocrite.

So I don't sound too much like a cynic, we have significantly more great guys here than the aforementioned reprobates, it's just that we all know the loudest, rudest and most obnoxious seem to always also be the most prevalent.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/05/17. Reason: Added last paragraph.

ΞœΞŸΞ›Ξ©Ξ ΛΑΒΕ
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Higbean
Did he post pics of your wife breast feeding?

Who posted pics of anyone breastfeeding?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Fred3
Not sure I agree with that at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
And what is wrong with feeding a baby.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Higbean word on the street is sugar tots, needs a bitch to wash the dishes and clean the toilets.
It's the chance you have been dreaming of. You best get there before huntsman or shiester do. A cat fight on the Milford would be uber. (Have someone take video pleaseπŸ™) But I'm guessing you would lose being so fit and all.
😳 LMFAO.
πŸ‘¨β€β€οΈβ€πŸ‘¨πŸŒˆ. Oh and as of late you and sugar tots have been chasing me it's quite flattering but try to be less obvious.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,654
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.