Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking to upgrade my "budget" B-Square set of gunsmith bits and screwdriver handle with something of solid quality. The B-Square is okay for light work but the smallest flat blade bent the corners without even trying and even the torx drive bit is now sort of spiral looking from not that much torque.

Would prefer one driver handle and then assorted bits, not three dozen separate handled tools. Not sure how extensive a set I'd need, more than 20 and less than 200, but with so much Chinese junque on the market I'm mostly looking for a good brand name recommendation and then I can pick from what all they offer.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Brownells hands down, bits are guaranteed for life. Sizes to fit any slotted screws, plus hex, torx, phillips, square, and many others. Cost is what you order, they have starter kits and master kits.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gemby58
Brownells hands down, bits are guaranteed for life. Sizes to fit any slotted screws, plus hex, torx, phillips, square, and many others. Cost is what you order, they have starter kits and master kits.

Yep.

Kelly
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
+1

Originally Posted by gemby58

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
keep your receipt when you order, I have stuff from before they went computerized in the 1980s and they give me a hard time on occasions. Mel Chung

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have the Wheeler Gunsmithing Screwdriver set..There are eight individual blade widths,and each blade width has from 6 to 9 individual blade thickness.
Plus 8 different sizes of hes heads, three torque heads, 4 philips head, and two driver handles.

Firearms screws are usually buggered up by the wrong blade width and the wrong blade thickness.With this set,you can match to perfection.

Far outweigh Brownells

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
i've got a chapman gun screw driver kit that has worked well for many years.

Ed

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Brownells set for the bench and a Chapman set for the range bag.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have the Wheeler Gunsmithing Screwdriver set..There are eight individual blade widths,and each blade width has from 6 to 9 individual blade thickness.
Plus 8 different sizes of hes heads, three torque heads, 4 philips head, and two driver handles.

Firearms screws are usually buggered up by the wrong blade width and the wrong blade thickness.With this set,you can match to perfection.

Far outweigh Brownells

I have a Wheeler set as well, however, the handle I have is not magnetized, which I wish it had. Otherwise, I have no complaints about the bits.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Far outweigh Brownells

I have a Wheeler set as well, however, the handle I have is not magnetized, which I wish it had. Otherwise, I have no complaints about the bits.

You can buy a magnetized stud that fits on your handle and the bits will fit in it. Home Depot or mos any place like that will carry them. Even Harbor Frieght

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Brownell's kit also that I just bought about a year ago after wearing out my cheap Midway set. I like it a lot but I wish I had ordered a few of the bits that complete the set. The bits that came with the "NRA Approved" set work fine and do 99% of what I need, but once in awhile I need a tip the set didn't come with. I substitute my Midway bits as they are all 1/4" hex size and fit the handle, but they just aren't made as well as the Brownell's units.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, Saddlesore. I actually bought another handle, but will look for the stud you are talking about so that handle doesn't just sit there.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What kit are you guys buying off Brownells? I do not see any branded to just them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the set I got. Works great but I would pick up the additional bits to complete the set and may still when I have time to go over their list of bit completer sets.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...a-tip-sets/magna-tip-sets-prod41571.aspx

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brownells set is hard to beat.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Wheeler FAT wrench, but with the Brownells Magna-Tip bits. Brownells also sells a handy storage box for the bits for about $10.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I tried them all but nothing is as nice or complete as the deluxe Brownells set. The Seekonk Precision Tools 1 to 75 inch pounds torque wrench is by far the best torque wrench for gunsmithing we have ever tried and I own a bunch of different ones some that cost 3 times as much.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer Forster screwdrivers. I first bought a Chapman set many years ago but I don't like anything with a chuck (is that the right word---can't come up with anything else). I've marred the finish on the backside of a Ruger single-action trigger guard removing the screws using the Chapman, but never with the Forsters.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Forsters are very nice, but I've found they are really difficult to find any more. Also, their sets aren't as complete as the Brownell's sets, IMHO.

Bob

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Chapman's used to be good. Haven't bought any since the '80s though. My last "refill" was with Brownells' bits.
I have twisted a couple of Franklin bits. They're fairly soft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.