Print Thread
Hop To
C
CSBfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What do you guys think of Mountainsmith? This pack seems comfortable and durable, but that's just from trying it out at the store with some weight. Do they make quality gear? If anyone is familiar with this pack, would it be up to the rigors of backcountry hunting and potentially even hauling game? I'm kind of sick of external frame packs and I'm ready to move on.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like to look at the critical elements. That pack weighs 6# and has a volume of 5,800 cu. in. An Osprey Aether, and many other quality packs of the same volume, will weigh only 4#.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A pack that fits right and weighs a bit more is WAY better than one that doesn't fit right and weighs less. I the MS fits you, it will likely do everything you need it to. I use a Jandd Mountaineering pack and rarely wish for something else.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For that price and weight range I'd be searching forums for a used Dana.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mountainsmith makes pretty good stuff, plus have a lifetime warranty. I've got a 0* synthetic fill mummy bag from them, no complaints.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I looked over MS's website pretty carefully and couldn't find any information/diagrams on their frame system. Any Co. that doesn't offer that info is not one I'd be interested in. OTOH, the pack looks pretty good, and I certainly like a lot of what I see there. I'd just need more info than they're providing.

Most all these Co's have "dumbed-down" their pack lines, removing the ability to bend/customize stays to the individual's back. A lot of our backs don't fit in this new fit's-all approach. These sort of packs are really hybrid internal/externals. That would include the entire Osprey line.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an old fanny pack of theirs from the Patrick Smith ownership era and have looked at the current model, no comparison. As the saying goes, "they aint what they used to be".

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Haven't had one personally, but the MS gear that I've run across is definitely marginal. The photos of that pack belt and suspension look along the lines of a Lowe Alpine I had about 10 years ago, which is to say; not good.

In that price range I would be looking for something used. Maybe an older Gregory or ArcTeryx, these may not be in your size, but it shows whats out there.

For example, the Gregory Whitney is a fantastic pack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gregory-Whitney-95-Humboldt-Green-Medium-Backpacking-Hiking-Backpacks-/112276639056?hash=item1a24358d50:g:5-MAAOSwNnRYgmTH

Or my personal favorite, the ARcTeryx Bora 95:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcteryx-Bora-95-Backpack-Hiking-Expedition-Water-Repellent-Size-S-/122315206038?hash=item1c7a8ded96:g:6xcAAOSwUKxYftQi

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd feel comfortable snatching up a used one from when Patrick ran it. I got a 90's frostfire I keep as a loaner, must be ~6000 or so ci, it's a killer pack. My partner packed 130# for 9 miles with it couple years ago.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't have a pack of their's but my favorite duffel is a MS and that thing is built heavy duty. Not the lightest but built to last.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a mouuntainsmith daypack from the late 80s and it almost as good as new...love that pack, very good quality from that era.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I remember them as being fairly low end at least compared to what was out there for back packing packs when I was working as a climbing guide. Osprey, Dana Designs and Gregory pretty much ran the show.

D
D
I've used Mountainsmith packs for years. I think sometimes people mistake cost and value for cheap quality. I used to live right next to their headquarters (how I got to know the brand) and have known Patrick and the crew now for years and can say Patrick is on board with the current lineup. Stitch for stitch their packs are as good as any, they just don't have the same same fit range found in other packs. If it fits you I'd say go for it. The other great thing about them is their service. I was hiking the AT and needed some replacement pole parts and they shipped them to my next stop, no questions asked. They've got a lifetime warranty and they really stick to it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,748
Posts18,457,795
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.