Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" #11945239 04/02/17
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 10,214
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 10,214
Hi Folks:

I am pleased to announce that the latest exclusive Campfire column by Wayne van Zwoll (WvZ), entitled "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" is now available for reading (please click link above).

Please use this thread to ask WvZ questions about the piece. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks again, Wayne!


Rick Bin
24hourcampfire.com
300 BP

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #11951855 04/05/17
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,324
dan_oz Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,324
Not a question, but a comment: I loved that article. It reminded me that it is about time I took my inherited Marlin 1893 out to kill another deer, and I may do just that over Easter. The last deer I took with that rifle was a fallow I bounced out of cover at only a handful of yards, and dropped from full gallop. The rifle points and swings so naturally that it was like dropping a flushed bird with a shotgun.

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #11951872 04/05/17
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,698
Dave_in_WV Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,698
Great article. Old rifles have a soul! If they could only tell their stories.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 04/05/17.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass
Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #11954739 04/06/17
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,518
nifty-two-fifty Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,518
As a big fan of classic rifles, I thoroughly enjoyed this article.

The anecdotal hunting stories mixed in with the historical facts made for a great read. Thank you, sir.


Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #11956725 04/07/17
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,970
moosemike Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,970
I love the Winchester 94, Marlin 336, and Savage 99. Most of my hunting has been done with those three.

Alpha

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #11958837 04/08/17
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 2,171
patbrennan Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 2,171
Nice article, well written. This year I am hunting a 60 year old rifle, made when I was 2! Hopefully it will help me feel a little more like dad and grandpa are hunting with me.

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #11961405 04/09/17
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 548
Bill Poole Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 548
I thought the Krag came out in 1892.

oops... I misread the text of the article, hence my post. I saw the line: "...the .303 Savage, which appeared in 1895. Three years earlier the Krag-Jorgensen..." and read it as "...the .303 Savage, which appeared in 1895. Three years earlier than the Krag-Jorgensen..."

so, never mind....




Last edited by Bill Poole; 04/09/17.
Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #11962828 04/10/17
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,173
GuyM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,173
I too enjoyed the article. My son and I both hunt with .30-06 rifles, his is a Model of 1917 that was "sporterized" long ago.

The only rifles I hunted with last season were a .30-06 and the .30-30 Glenfield. I enjoy using the older rifles and cartridges.

Guy

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #11964651 04/11/17
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 32,417
Seafire Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 32,417
nice read Wayne!

Kinda to quote my old buddy Kaywoodie:

" Don't trust a rifle made after 1947..."

Lotta wisdom in there...


Hillary Clinton In 2013: “I Would Like To See People Like Donald Trump Run For Office; They’re Honest And Can’t Be Bought”

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #12000904 04/27/17
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 101
TCRken Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 101
I share Wayne's "come home" to the "old but still good" rifles and calibers of decades ago. As I aged, my goals of using the latest and greatest faded over to those of my father and my youth. There is something more satisfying in using a rifle that is over a hundred years old and a cartridge that is considered obsolete when the animal in the hunt is yours. My last elk was taken at 174 yards with a 40-82 WCF single shot and my last deer also with a single shot in 30-40 Krag. I have yet to be sucessful with a 1886 in 33 WCF, but there is always next year. A good read indeed.

Bravo

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #12008909 05/02/17
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,211
fishdog52 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,211
Wayne, Great article!
While some of the younger generation are discovering $1500 AR's in 30-30 wannabe calibers, I have become enamored with take-down Savage 1899's and the 300 Savage caliber. Truly a great rifle to carry, surprisingly accurate, and most important, the caliber is very effective on game. Mine was built in 1931 and wears an old Redfield peep. I carried it on a Florida hog hunt last month. Pretty good chance this will go on a moose hunt next fall.
The rifle shoots both 150 and 180 grain bullets with good accuracy. I have settled on a moderate load of Varget pushing 150 grain Partitions.
In a more contemporary note, one of my grandsons used a Remington 700 270, that I bought around 1974, wearing its second barrel and 4th stock, to take his first whitetail buck, last fall. That rifle has a lot of miles and much of what I know about reloading, was learned with it. I have not always been a wise and conservative shooter. Yet, like the 1899, it is reliable and is building its own karma.


Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #12017002 05/06/17
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,418
GSPfan Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,418
While I routinely hunt and shoot sporting clays with 100 year old doubles my vintage rifles have been confined to Pre64 M70's. I recently added a M94 38-55 with a full octagon barrel and a M71 348 to the mix and am looking forward to getting both of these into the deer woods this fall.

In these days of the synthetic stocked rifle in .300 Super Duper Magnum with a Hubble type range finding scope it's nice to know that what worked 100 years ago will still work today.

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #12021588 05/08/17
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 370
Adk_BackCountry Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 370
I enjoy reading anything written by Wayne van Zwoll. Another informative fine read and thank you, Sir.



Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: RickBin] #12056423 05/27/17
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 12,097
Hammerdown Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 12,097
That was very nice.
Thanks Wayne.


Randy
NRA Patron Life Member
Bigfork Gun Club. 59911 Life Member

#45




Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: dan_oz] #12057026 05/27/17
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
WvZ Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Not a question, but a comment: I loved that article. It reminded me that it is about time I took my inherited Marlin 1893 out to kill another deer, and I may do just that over Easter. The last deer I took with that rifle was a fallow I bounced out of cover at only a handful of yards, and dropped from full gallop. The rifle points and swings so naturally that it was like dropping a flushed bird with a shotgun.


Thank you, Dan. The 1893 Marlin is one of my favorites!.... WvZ

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: Hammerdown] #12057027 05/27/17
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
WvZ Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
That was very nice.
Thanks Wayne.


Much obliged for the note, Hammerdown.... WvZ

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: Adk_BackCountry] #12057029 05/27/17
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
WvZ Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
I enjoy reading anything written by Wayne van Zwoll. Another informative fine read and thank you, Sir.


Thank you for the kind words, Adk! Good hunting! .... WvZ

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: GSPfan] #12057035 05/27/17
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
WvZ Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by GSPfan
While I routinely hunt and shoot sporting clays with 100 year old doubles my vintage rifles have been confined to Pre64 M70's. I recently added a M94 38-55 with a full octagon barrel and a M71 348 to the mix and am looking forward to getting both of these into the deer woods this fall.

In these days of the synthetic stocked rifle in .300 Super Duper Magnum with a Hubble type range finding scope it's nice to know that what worked 100 years ago will still work today.


GSP, I like old M70s too. Alas, just about all lever-actions and bolt guns built before 1964 have become frightfully expensive. The price of procrastination in buying old guns can be high and painful!..... WvZ

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: fishdog52] #12057041 05/27/17
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
WvZ Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Wayne, Great article!
While some of the younger generation are discovering $1500 AR's in 30-30 wannabe calibers, I have become enamored with take-down Savage 1899's and the 300 Savage caliber. Truly a great rifle to carry, surprisingly accurate, and most important, the caliber is very effective on game. Mine was built in 1931 and wears an old Redfield peep. I carried it on a Florida hog hunt last month. Pretty good chance this will go on a moose hunt next fall.
The rifle shoots both 150 and 180 grain bullets with good accuracy. I have settled on a moderate load of Varget pushing 150 grain Partitions.
In a more contemporary note, one of my grandsons used a Remington 700 270, that I bought around 1974, wearing its second barrel and 4th stock, to take his first whitetail buck, last fall. That rifle has a lot of miles and much of what I know about reloading, was learned with it. I have not always been a wise and conservative shooter. Yet, like the 1899, it is reliable and is building its own karma.


Thank you for the note, Fishdog. I too like the .300 Savage. It's taken a lot of game bigger than the whitetails it's commonly paired with in print! .... Wvz

Re: APRIL - Ask Wayne van Zwoll Questions About "DEER RIFLES THAT ENDURE" [Re: TCRken] #12057042 05/27/17
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
WvZ Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by TCRken
I share Wayne's "come home" to the "old but still good" rifles and calibers of decades ago. As I aged, my goals of using the latest and greatest faded over to those of my father and my youth. There is something more satisfying in using a rifle that is over a hundred years old and a cartridge that is considered obsolete when the animal in the hunt is yours. My last elk was taken at 174 yards with a 40-82 WCF single shot and my last deer also with a single shot in 30-40 Krag. I have yet to be sucessful with a 1886 in 33 WCF, but there is always next year. A good read indeed.


Thank you, TCRken. I've not used a .40-82, but, like the .33 Win., it seems a well-designed cartridge. Clearly adequate for elk! .... Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160
Who's Online Now
559 registered members (160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 65 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 325 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
AIH 160 3
Popular Topics(Views)
125,714,559 Birth of a deer camp
121,599,979 What does 223AI mean?
56,131,863 GOOD GUY LIST
8,968,766 Pay It Forward
8,671,359 .243 vs 25-06
Forum Statistics
Forums76
Topics910,837
Posts13,475,154
Members63,502
Most Online8,324
Oct 5th, 2017
Newest Members
UpStateRed, Oliver2012, Wrangell, BrentS, Hankjr1
63502 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jaguartx 964
slumlord 887
dave284 729
hanco 715
MtnBoomer 682
lapua6547 567
Valsdad 515
Fireball2 513
SandBilly 498
wabigoon 496
12344mag 463
mtnsnake 461
Bristoe 439
steve4102 414
stxhunter 412
kid0917 357
JamesJr 352
Today's Birthdays
Akbob5, ArcticDback, Beretta_Shooter916, Black Hills Bret, Hillbilly1968, interfectorem









Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 5.6.40 Page Time: 0.074s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 1.1988 MB (Peak: 1.4949 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2019-09-16 20:51:28 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS