Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Hi guys. I'm new here so I don't know if this has been discussed already but here goes. Do any of you have any 1st hand experiance with a Mossberg Patriot rifle in 375 Ruger? I ask because of this, I see that a store here in Arizona has them for $317.00! 22 inch barrel,composite stock and on the web they look interesting. I have read a bunch of reviews on them and they all come back on the positive side except that at 6.6pounds they do kick a bit much for a 375. I don't personally want or need one,but, I am thinking about getting one to bring to Zimbabwe and give as a tip/gift to my PH.in years past I always leave a REM 870 12ga shotgun as a gift/tip and the fellas go apeshit happy for them. Its easy for me,I just bring the reciect for customs tax VAT or whatever they call it. I always use a 375 H&H but hear that 375 Ruger is getting popular and ammo shouldn't be a problem in Zim. I will bring a peep/ghost ring sight to add on as almost all the PHs I've seen favor a peep sight. Any real truthful knowledge or expierence would be welcome. I don't know if they are POS or what.don't know if he would keep it or sell it,but I know guns are very expensive and hard to come by for a working stiff. Thanks folks.

GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Zengela
Hi guys. I'm new here so I don't know if this has been discussed already but here goes. Do any of you have any 1st hand experiance with a Mossberg Patriot rifle in 375 Ruger? I ask because of this, I see that a store here in Arizona has them for $317.00! 22 inch barrel,composite stock and on the web they look interesting. I have read a bunch of reviews on them and they all come back on the positive side except that at 6.6pounds they do kick a bit much for a 375. I don't personally want or need one,but, I am thinking about getting one to bring to Zimbabwe and give as a tip/gift to my PH.in years past I always leave a REM 870 12ga shotgun as a gift/tip and the fellas go apeshit happy for them. Its easy for me,I just bring the reciect for customs tax VAT or whatever they call it. I always use a 375 H&H but hear that 375 Ruger is getting popular and ammo shouldn't be a problem in Zim. I will bring a peep/ghost ring sight to add on as almost all the PHs I've seen favor a peep sight. Any real truthful knowledge or expierence would be welcome. I don't know if they are POS or what.don't know if he would keep it or sell it,but I know guns are very expensive and hard to come by for a working stiff. Thanks folks.

I've been looking at these too. Who has them in stock and avail today for $317 ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Tombstone Tactical and in Tempe there's Arizona Gun and Pawn I believe I saw on the web as well. Been looking at Savage's Alaskan Brush Gun in 375 Ruger as well. Bit more pricey. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a payday soon for the Mossberg. For the price?? What the hell why not. Crap, the ammo I will bring over for him will cost more than the gun. NECG peep sight or XS ghost ring sight as well.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you !

I'm in the East Valley - So, it saves me a trip. The difference in price is a wash due to the gas money.

$325 Mossberg .375 Ruger >>>----------> Click Here.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B2

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Cool.Please let me know how AZ Gun and Pawn are. I have never used them. And if you buy or even handle this rifle give me some feed back. Ya know what they say, "If its too good to be true, then????"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one a couple of months ago, as with some of the $300 to $400 rifles there is some good and some bad.
[Linked Image]

The rifle stock is great , fits me very well, recoils straight back.

The magazine is close to awful, if you drop it the spring and follower will fly off out of the magazine.

Then there is the bedding, let me put together a more detailed post
With some pictures.

[Linked Image]

If you like to tinker with a new rifle, this one is for you, it was just what I needed to pass the time waiting for spring.
I'll be back with more

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ok, the stock design is very good, it has a good (1") recoil pad and it has stippling (not checkering) that is attractive and feels good in the hand.

When the rifle arrives the first thing you must do is dissemble it completely, on
My unit the front sight was lose, the scope bases were snug but had oil under them so I cleaned them up and installed them with FNP (clear) the trigger group has a hollow screw in the front that was lose, I didn't check it and after the first few shots it worked it's way out and chipped the stock.

[Linked Image]

Nothing drastic but it has to be fixed, the hollow screw has a spring inside that presses on the trigger, I removed that and installed the screw with some FNP. With no further adjustment the trigger is fine for a heavy rifle.

[Linked Image]

The lug has the standard hot glue and the mag well is also the bedding block, I shot the rifle with that setup to see if it was worth going any further, with some 60% H4895 loads it showed some promise so I continued on.

[Linked Image]

Scrubbed the bore, coated it with DBC, installed a Weaver 3x9 that has been the test scope on several rifles and shot some Speer 235's about 2" or 3" the recoil with 60% loads is heavy (for me) there is no way I will ever shoot a full power load in this rifle, I bought this gun for fun and a reloading project.

[Linked Image]

The groups never got any better, some worse, I bedded the action, redid the crown, tried several midrange loads and it would shoot fair and then scatter all over the place.
The rifle seemed better than that, the bore was smooth, no tight or lose spots, so I replaced the scope, seems the first few loads broke the scope, now with a K6 installed it is shooting 1 1/2 " groups, if the rain ever stops I will continue testing.

More to come.

[Linked Image]
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Seems about right for any new gun. Always take it apart,thoroughly clean it,retighten etc.. I'm eying the synthetic stock so maybe the chipping of the wood will be alleviated. As for full power loads,yes very much so. Aint no sub loads in the Zimbabwe jesse. I would shoot it off a lead sled a few times to make sure its all honky dorry then put a box of Hornady solids thru it just to feel it out and tell my PH about it. I don't want to shoot it much as I am giving it as a gift. I shoot a Winchester Classic Super Express 375 H&H in a lefty(don't make it no more.) It's rather depressing the options for Lefty's in a true DGR. I got a 500NE but really want a 416 Rigby double square bridge Mauser magnum action in lefthand. Montana Rifle Co states that they will make them "soon". Its been at least 7 years or so hearing that b.s. Any way thank you for the info,you were very insightful. DaveO.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard both sides of the accuracy from multiple people.

Some shoot great right out of the box with factory ammo while others never get much better that 1.5" @ 100 yrds.

I've been looking at one of these. I doubt that I would ever shoot over 200-300 yards with one. But, shooting less than sub MOA or at lease MOA means that at 300 yards a 1.5" group becomes a 4.5"-6.0" group.

I guess that 6" on a large critter... with a full load would still get the job done. But a feller likes to brag that his firearm can shoot sub Moa all day long.

For $317... I guess you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Owl; 04/04/17.

IC B3

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Seems about right for any new gun. Always take it apart,thoroughly clean it,retighten etc.. I'm eying the synthetic stock so maybe the chipping of the wood will be alleviated. As for full power loads,yes very much so. Aint no sub loads in the Zimbabwe jesse. I would shoot it off a lead sled a few times to make sure its all honky dorry then put a box of Hornady solids thru it just to feel it out and tell my PH about it. I don't want to shoot it much as I am giving it as a gift. I shoot a Winchester Classic Super Express 375 H&H in a lefty(don't make it no more.) It's rather depressing the options for Lefty's in a true DGR. I got a 500NE but really want a 416 Rigby double square bridge Mauser magnum action in lefthand. Montana Rifle Co states that they will make them "soon". Its been at least 7 years or so hearing that b.s. Any way thank you for the info,you were very insightful. DaveO.

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Soory Hit the wrong button. Sent old message again. I agree that the accuracy isn't exceptable for long range. This would be a brush gun or a loaner rifle he could let clients use that don't own guns or not a DGR anyway.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The bedding system is a little different than other rifles, the mag well is the bedding .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And the bottom "metal" is all plastic so getting enough torque on th action screws with out breaking something is going to be difficult.

I ground two steel washers down for the action screws that gives them a little more surface area but it's still plastic.

I may replace the trigger guard with a Savage steel unit, it will take some wood removal and some Acura Glass gel.

[Linked Image]

The sealant inside the stock was just a swipe with a brush or a rag, about 50% coverage, I sanded that up and coated it with some stock sealer.

The bedding
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This has been a good late winter project, when I get the Speer 235's shooting then I have several lead bullets to work up a load for.

Rain and 30 MPH winds for the next few days, so no shooting.

[Linked Image]
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Not liking that bottom not being metal. Gonna do some snoping around as well to see if there are other "McGyver" jobs that have worked out as well. Like that Savage trigger guard Swap idea. I wonder what other brand/models might work out?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Interesting gun, crazy low price for a big bore rifle like that. If nothing else it would be a fun way to blow through some 375 ruger ammo.

I recently got a weatherby vanguard 375HH for ~ 600 dollars, it's a hell of a shooter for the price, not as nice as my kimber talkeetna but probably 75% as nice for 33% of the cost.

I slapped a vx2 on the weatherby and it's a surprisingly fun rifle, much better than I was expecting.

B
B
I have the Patriot 375 Ruger in the synthetic stock and Marinecote finish and when I got it I hoped for 2" groups well I was surprised by the fact that after bore sighting first shot was 8-9" high so I gave it a couple turns and the next 4shots fell under 1".
I only have 2 complaints.
The recoil pad on mine seemed to be different than others it was a hollow rubber shin about 1/8 thick with plastic ribs to keep it from collapsing which under recoil dug into my shoulder fixed that with a limb saver.
Then I ordered a spare magazine which when I tested it would throw the last round out of the action every time. So I opened both to see the difference the one that worked had about 1/3 the spring in it than the one that didn't, gave the second a little trim now its good.
Was planning to replace plastic stock but after getting several 3shot groups under a dime ill leave it alone.
The only other problem is that some people of upper class tend to dislike 375 Ruger then when they find out it's a Mossberg it's to much for them to handle and I get the cold shoulder.
So I figure their loss
Shawn

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Actually just ordered a Savage Alaskan brush hunter (or whatever they call it) in 375 ruger. I have a few 375HHs but Ive been curious about the 375ruger and didnt want to break the bank.

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by BigNasty
I have the Patriot 375 Ruger in the synthetic stock and Marinecote finish and when I got it I hoped for 2" groups well I was surprised by the fact that after bore sighting first shot was 8-9" high so I gave it a couple turns and the next 4shots fell under 1".
I only have 2 complaints.
The recoil pad on mine seemed to be different than others it was a hollow rubber shin about 1/8 thick with plastic ribs to keep it from collapsing which under recoil dug into my shoulder fixed that with a limb saver.
Then I ordered a spare magazine which when I tested it would throw the last round out of the action every time. So I opened both to see the difference the one that worked had about 1/3 the spring in it than the one that didn't, gave the second a little trim now its good.
Was planning to replace plastic stock but after getting several 3shot groups under a dime ill leave it alone.
The only other problem is that some people of upper class tend to dislike 375 Ruger then when they find out it's a Mossberg it's to much for them to handle and I get the cold shoulder.
So I figure their loss
Shawn

Thank you for the info! I am currently a 375H&H guy. Yeah, I'm proud of my lefty Win 70,but I think anybody of modest means like me,I'm a chef,shouldn't bad mouth the 375 Ruger. I have never owned or shot 1 but I will. How can you knock H&H like proformance in an affordable,smaller,and less expensive rifles. Anybody cold shouldering someone over this is a snob. Wonder if their 375s are Pre-War TRUE Holland and Holland or Rigby Mauser's? Probably not. I would love to have a real 416 Rigby,but money says 416 Rem. Hell,a buff,bear,or elephant ain't gonna know the difference. I am gonna pull the trigger on a Moss Patriot Synthetic w/black finish. My only gripe is ammo variety. But I handload anyway so its a moot point. Shoot away buddy.

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Actually just ordered a Savage Alaskan brush hunter (or whatever they call it) in 375 ruger. I have a few 375HHs but Ive been curious about the 375ruger and didnt want to break the bank.

Me too! I'm thinking exactly like you. For the price,why not? Have some fun,and learn a bit. And if you don't like it,sell it. And you won't loose your @$$ doing it. please update me on the Savage brush gun. 20 inch barrel must roar And spit a huge fireball.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.