Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ILya,

Interesting you brought up the ER5 1.5-8x32 - that's the scope I had pegged for this rifle.
But it's been 2+ years since that model was announced and still no product. sick sick

Seems everyone has pretty favorable thoughts on the Razor but some habits die hard and it's just going to take me overcoming some serious mental hurdles with the Vortex brand.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SKane
ILya,

Interesting you brought up the ER5 1.5-8x32 - that's the scope I had pegged for this rifle.
But it's been 2+ years since that model was announced and still no product. sick sick

Seems everyone has pretty favorable thoughts on the Razor but some habits die hard and it's just going to take me overcoming some serious mental hurdles with the Vortex brand.

I had some of the same issues with getting a Vortex. This is my first. This Razor however is made by LOW in Japan,so I don't expect any quality problems.

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's gonna take me a bit more to work up the nerve. grin

WWP53D
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
ILya,

I do not think the ER5 1.5-8x32 is quite out yet. As soon as it is available, I will get my hands on one. I suspect I will look at the 2-10x50 ER5 first since that is likely to be first one out.

ILya

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ILya,

Regarding the ER5 1.5-8x32, I was told "a couple months yet" by a Leica official.

I sure hope there are an awful lot of red faces within that company regarding the amount of time it's taken for these to become reality.

Ron Spomer overview in January 2015.
https://youtu.be/JAfTN8FOiCc

WWP53D
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have been pondering both the HD LH 1.5-8 and the Leupold VX-5 1-5x for a rifle used for still hunting whitetail.

1.5x is fine for me and the Vortex looks like a good choice, but have always wanted a true 1x on the bottom end.

Both scopes are fairly light (13.4, 13.1),considering what is deemed light today and both have similar mounting latitude with the VX5 having the edge...if I did the math right--both a bit less than the Leupold 6x42, say.

If the duplex reticle is the same in the VX5 as the one in the VX6, it should be a good one in low light.

The 4 is my favorite reticle for low light, but do prefer a heavier type crosshair for moving deer...for whatever reason.

edit-should say the VX5 has more mounting latitude than that--I just used 2.30" for the objective length, the same as the Vortex, to figure. fwiw...

Last edited by tomk; 04/07/17. Reason: latitude
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
its 11 inches long, how would that work on a long action rifle?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw....

I add the eye relief to the scope length and then subtract the length of the objective bell--as the bell is ahead of the front ring.

That gives me a better indication of fit (for me) comparing to other scopes on rifles knowing their LOP and where the bases are fitted.

Figuring that way, that Razor model is 1/4" "shorter" than a 6x42 Leupold, for example. That particular Razor is too short for me on a long action like the M-70 or mauser with a 13.5 LOP, but it would be fine on a factory BAR or Kimber 84.

All relative...may be different for you...

Defend the Constitution
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I bought a minox 3-9 a while back and was dispointed, and have tried to stay with main stream scopes. I am considering a BLR in 358 which this might work with. I hate to buy a scope to find that mechanically its worse than the VX3.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For those using the 1.5-8x32 how has it stood up to the test of time? I just received one and will start shooting with it next weekend. I did some side by side comparisons and it did very well. I love the reticle. Perfect for what I’m doing. The eye box is rather sensitive to any lateral eye movement.
Edit: after mounting on a rifle I’m excited about this scope. Going to put it on a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor to start. Also have a Kimber 84M in 338Fed in need of a scope.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by prm
For those using the 1.5-8x32 how has stood up to the test of time? I just received one and will start shooting with it next weekend. I did some side by side comparisons and it did very well. I love the reticle. Perfect for what I’m doing. The eye box is rather sensitive to any lateral eye movement.
Edit: after mounting on a rifle I’m excited about this scope. Going to put it on a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor to start. Also have a Kimber 84M in 338Fed in need of a scope.

Mine is doing fine, I have used it on a couple different rifles and it adjusts properly. It is a strictly a set it and forget it scope for me though. The clicks are fairly mushy,which is my only complaint,which won't matter at all as long as it stays zeroed.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks. The clicks on mine are not super crisp, but enough so to be easy dial. Not that I intend to dial other than sighting in. Big fan of this reticle though. Ignore the image at a distance, it appeared much sharper than what my cell phone captured. That’s roughly 1.5mi away.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am glad you like the reticle.

I originally drew it with mrad subtensions, but the idea is the same.

ILya

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Before I learned about this reticle I had written what I would want in a hunting rifle reticle. It was a German #4 with some windage reference. So yes, I like this!

1.5x and seeing the barrel in this application takes some getting used to though!

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I like that reticle. Thanks for posting the pics.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Also, I’ve compared to a few other scopes, and one thing was to see which reticle/scope was useful the longest after sunset. This scope/reticle slightly surpassed my Nightforce SHV 3-9 with the Forceplex reticle. Both outlasted my SWFA SS HD 3-9, SWFA SS 6x and a Burris FFII.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SKane
I've had 2 vortex scopes both vipers go bad on me. So I was very sceptical about this scope. I bought a 3-15 because I love the reticle and the weight. So far it has been perfect. There worth the money in my opinion.
Will

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

I like that reticle too. The center dot perfectly covers one of those quarter sized target dots at 100 yards. It's just about perfect. Some tritium on that dot would have made it perfect.

Another thing that is hard to tell in the pictures is how the view goes all the way to the aluminum rim. In the above picture the camera just isn't all the way adjusted. That black you see around the image like on most scopes is gone with this one.

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I see this one came back to life. laugh

Gentlemen, thank you for the input. I decided to travel a bit different (and weightier) path.

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I see this one came back to life. laugh

Gentlemen, thank you for the input. I decided to travel a bit different (and weightier) path.

[Linked Image]

Yea! That's the way to roll as long as you can afford it. I've used both though and would rather have the optics and power range of the Razor........if only it was as bullet proof.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,515
Posts18,452,683
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.