Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I realize 500 yards isn't what most of you consider long range,but it would be for me. I'm wondering who has practical experience in using a plex reticle for ranges up to 500 yards.

I'm not a long range shooter,not being necessary where I live,but I wanted to set up my Forbes 270 for longer ranges that might present themselves on occasion in clear cuts and such. I purchases a Swaro Z5 with BT and 4w reticle thinking I might need the wind marks.

I got the scope yesterday. It is fairly good in low light.I think the 4w reticle will carry me to the end of legal light but I know for sure that the 4w will disappear sooner than the plex would.The scope is good enough to shoot a bit past where the 4w reticle is failing.

Now I'm second guessing myself wondering if I should exchange this 4w for the plex since even my 500 yard dream is a bit optimistic for what I'll ever likely encounter unless I get a chance to travel west.

Basically I'm wanting to hear from those more experienced with longer yardage. I'm wondering how limiting a plex would be under most normal conditions at 400-500 yards.I have the BT to dial elevation and the square edge of the thick portion of the Swaro plex is 3 moa from center.

BTW-no fear that I will start plinking at animals at longer ranges. I found a 500 yard range close to home and plan to visit often before any attempt at anything over about 300.

BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Plex reticles suck. Go MOAMOA and when you want to hit the 1000 line you can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used plex (Ballistic Plex, B&C, Zeiss ?) reticles hunting past 500 yards shooting .270, 30-06, 338WM. I find them quicker than spinning turrets. If you just want to kill big critters out to 500, they work well. They don't have the fine precision of turrets, but I don't need that on big game under 500.

The answer to this question is largely predicated on how you intend to use the set up. Do you hunt or shoot in the wide open spaces or the narrow confines clear cuts in timber? Fit your own need.

405wcf

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The scope I have does have an elevation turret. I'm trying to decide if the 4w reticle with 2 moa hash marks for wind is more beneficial for 400-500 yard hunting than the bolder,easier to see in low light duplex reticle. I will have an elevation turret with either version.

I just don't have enough experience yet to evaluate how helpful-necessary the windage marks will be at 400-500 yards max I'll ever shoot in a hunting situation.

It's too bad Swaro couldn't have left the vertical lines of the duplex and used a thinner horizontal line with hash marks for windage. It would been the best of both and much more useful than either.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I started using a basic plex reticle for both range-finding and shooting at what were then considered pretty long ranges back in the mid-1980's, long before laser range-finders, multi-point reticles and turret-twisting became common. A plex can work very well on big game out to 500 yards, or even farther, but only if you understand the underlying principles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a ele turret and 500 is the limit, plex would work. Only you can decide which is better for you.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For a standard hunting rifle, I still think Plex is more versatile in low light. Most of the long range type reticles are worthless in low light without illumination.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As with most things, the Plex reticle will work fine if you do your part- go out and use it until learn how it works for you and you are comfortable with it. Practice will make almost anything work if you pay attention and take notes. Once you get used to it, I think you will really like the simplicity of using a plex for quick long range shooting. Add in the turrets and you will have a very effective combination.
MOA reticles are nice, but not really necessary for the occasional long shot- especially if your max is in the 500 yard range.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If only a scope existed that had a reticle w/ clearly marked windage that was easy to see in low light and turretts you could count on to track relaibly / RTZ. Put a good glass in a scope like that, low profile turretss and I'm sure it would be a favorite.

David

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks guys, I do understand the basics of measuring substentions of a duplex and charting those measurements at different range and magnification. I've pretty much decided to exchange this scope for the same with the plex. 99% of the time my shots will be under 300 anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R_H_Clark,

Like Mule Deer I used the plex in a 4-12X for both ranging and sighting at longer range in the last '70's. I practiced with it by knowing where the bottom post in inches was from the center on different magnification settings.

Recently for a while I had a z5 with the ballistic turret it was a blast to play with and learn to use it. Once you get it you got it! Enjoy.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
R_H_Clark,

Like Mule Deer I used the plex in a 4-12X for both ranging and sighting at longer range in the last '70's. I practiced with it by knowing where the bottom post in inches was from the center on different magnification settings.

Recently for a while I had a z5 with the ballistic turret it was a blast to play with and learn to use it. Once you get it you got it! Enjoy.

Thanks.
yes,I'm new at this long range but that's what I had in mind with the plex. The 4w would be better for strictly long range,I think,but I will likely have greater need of low light performance for the majority of my hunting.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/04/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I built a "cheap rifle" on an $80 budget in 2016.
It was a $45 sporterized 1941 Arisaka in 300Sav from a pawn shop that I reamed to 308.

I put an old duplex take off scope in it.
Win 125 gr nos bal tips I had it making a good group out to 400 yards, with the bottom of the thin part of the cross hairs in the bullseye.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Primary Arms scope/reticle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 270win wore a 3x9 4200 and I sighted in about 1.25" high @100yds. At 440 yds my bullet impacted right where the xhair fattened up. Add another inch and you'd be right where you need to be.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
My scope will have a turret for elevation. My concern was if I could hold wind off the duplex. The thick portion starts 2 MOA from center,so I'm going with the plex and give it a try.If I can't estimate wind as well as I would like,I'll reduce my max range.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I killed a doe at a tic over 400 yards with a leupy CDC ... plexers will get it done if you dont mind twisting turets, however its hard to beat my nightforce ATACR when i do serious shooting.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Go to www.riflesandrecipes.com, pay the $8 for a subscription to Rifle Looney News and you'll not only get the current issue, but access to ALL of the back issues - for a cheapskate like me, it's the deal of the decade!

Anyway, RLN33 (Feb 2017) has an article called "Set and Forget Scopes", that details using a plex reticle for up to 500 yard shots - no turret twisting - with a fixed 6x scope! It will answer all of your questions with details provided by someone who has been there, done that.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you practice quite a bit at 500 yards a simple duplex reticle and estimated holdover and wind hold will work fine on a deer pig elk size target. In general if you are zeroed at 200-250 the drop is about 6" , 16", 36", 60" at every 100 yard increment with modern rifle trajectories. It is certainly not precise enough for this section of the forum but with light winds and a good field rest and a very familiar rifle - meat in the freezer.

Nothing beats dialing for precision but my Z600 and Z800 reticles are spot on all the way out - with practice the 300 Weatherby with 180 Barnes TTSX is solid to 800 yards on steel and 600 on hair with a solid field rest in way less time than dialing. Naturally the more you practice the faster and more accurate you can be.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's easy to hold over to 500 yards with a duplex on an animal of familiar size. Knowing the range exactly is the bigger problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.