24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These odd ball cartridges are fun to play with when one has the time and money. In a practical sense they offer nothing but the fun of saying and thinking you have something that maybe Page or Hagel mentioned.

Just shoot a regular 7mm RM or if more is wanted the 7mm STW and RUM are right here for you.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I've got a reamer....... smile

I hear ya exbiologist, I have considered it. Got a couple of things to do first like add a pre-64 to my lineup. wink

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
exbio: If you are not sure you want one, you should not build it.Use the money to hunt instead; the 7 Rem Mag is just fine.

Personally I don't build rifles to engage in fantasies;I build them to shoot and hunt with. So I don't keep lots of excess "stuff" around.It either hunts and performs,or it hits the road after I play with it.

Owning this rifle is no more impractical, and far less expensive, than having safes full of rifles that never see the light of day and never travel anywhere to hunt.Lots of people have opinions about stuff they have never done....owning a wildcat is no different.

I built mine to hunt...I have had many other 7mm's...standard and magnum.This one does what I want.

If you are running into too many obstacles in your mind about it, then you don't really want it, and should not build it.It's that simple.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/19/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just don't forget your ammo <g>!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bring plenty... smile

And a spare rifle.too.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Mark and Bob could sell ice cream to Eskimos. grin

I really do like the Mashburn concept...

The Mashburn sells itself. They just jumped on the bandwagon grin...like I'm gonna do too.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Reloder28

The Mashburn sells itself. They just jumped on the bandwagon grin...like I'm gonna do too.

The more I read about it the more it seems like the perfect 7 mag.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28

The more I read about it the more it seems like the perfect 7 mag.

I doubt it is perfect, smile but in a very imperfect world,it might approach providing about as much bullet weight,horsepower, and flat trajectory as is consistent with a reasonably light,mountain weight,general purpose BG rifle, that will not kick you into next week.

It is really very simple,and the reason I wanted one is that I wanted (1)a 175 gr 7mm bullet @3100 fps (2)from a light contoured 24" barrel (3)in a rifle weighing a bit less than 8 pounds (4)that had manageable recoil.

That it (easily)gives 3200+ fps with 160 gr bullets is kind of a bonus....but in truth I bet the 175 gr can do it all.I hope to find out.

Looks like Reloder wants one too... smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 7 Mashburn is only for the experienced and dedicated shooter and handloader. If you don't understand and appreciate what it offers and don't know how to make the cases and load for it then you should settle for less. Get ten or more years of experience and then you may understand. Few learn from those with a lot more experience.

Last edited by RinB; 07/19/11.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've already drank the Mashburn cool aid! One's going to grace my gun room in the next year...period. Just need to find a 7Mag barreled action. It's no harder to own than an ACKLEY IMPROVED cartridge. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 07/20/11.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK so ballistically it is a 7nmm STW?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
OK so ballistically it is a 7nmm STW?

More or less....how an STW does in a 24" tube, I have no idea.In a 26" tube, an STW may be faster.

Overall ,there is overlap, yes.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by powdr
I've already drank the Mashburn cool aid! One's going to grace my gun room in the next year...period. Just need to find a 7Mag barreled action. It's no harder to own than an ACKLEY IMPROVED cartridge. powdr

I think I am in too, I just need to decide on an action then see if I can find one. I'm leaning M70 stainless (crf), but cost may push me back to a 700.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jryoung
Originally Posted by powdr

I think I am in too, I just need to decide on an action then see if I can find one. I'm leaning M70 stainless (crf), but cost may push me back to a 700.

powdr is right...no big deal to form cases.

jr, a Rem 700 is about as easy as it gets...it will work great wink

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool old thread. Always learn something new when you go digging around here.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
exbio: If you are not sure you want one, you should not build it.Use the money to hunt instead; the 7 Rem Mag is just fine.

Personally I don't build rifles to engage in fantasies;I build them to shoot and hunt with. So I don't keep lots of excess "stuff" around.It either hunts and performs,or it hits the road after I play with it.

Owning this rifle is no more impractical, and far less expensive, than having safes full of rifles that never see the light of day and never travel anywhere to hunt.Lots of people have opinions about stuff they have never done....owning a wildcat is no different.

I built mine to hunt...I have had many other 7mm's...standard and magnum.This one does what I want.

If you are running into too many obstacles in your mind about it, then you don't really want it, and should not build it.It's that simple.

this savvy from BobinNH is golden

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Bump.

Just because.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Bump.

Just because.

I’ll call your bump and raise you one!

Semper Fi
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.