-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For sure figure out how you are going to carry an AR before the hunt.

They will not fit in a typical scabbard that the outfitter is likely to have.

You might be able to rig up the right AR soft case to hang on a horse. I've thought about it, but haven't done it.

Need the right horse, straps, and case with d rings.

Rifles hanging off the side of a horse throw the balance off and if you aren't careful the saddle will start slipping to the side. An extra heavy rifle is going to make it worse. Especially with an inexperienced rider.

If you take the AR make sure the outfitter knows about it in advance and can make arrangements for it on the horse.

GB1

G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Great Picture Ralphie

My memories with my son on our hunts are among my finest as I am sure you can relate with your daughter -

G
guyotrd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks for the advice on the scabbard - you may have averted disaster for me. I know what you mean on the saddles - especially when you are going up and down steep grades and it start slowly sliding. I am a real rookie on horseback and mine almost fell off a couple times with me on it.

I am going to research the scabbard - and possibly another post is in order.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Something like this will carry the rifle in a scabbard:

http://www.eberlestock.com/miva/mer...amp;Product_Code=A4SS&Category_Code=

It'll have enough webbing loops to get it tied on a saddle or a horse, especially with a hand-full of decent cabiners.

I'd strongly agree with comment: "let the outfitter know ahead of arrival".

It's not just getting the rifle to and from the hunt, it's about getting you, the horse, and the rifle around without hurting the first two, the last one is replaceable.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/11/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by guyotrd
My son and I just applied for our tags for cows in Fossil Ridge Wilderness CO (near Gunnison) for 3rd season next year. The shots all seem to be between 225 yds and 400yds where the guides take us - due to the terrain in the mountains.

On the previous 3 hunts (only 1 successful) he used my Browing A Bolt 7Mag.

This year I bought a POF P308 (Piston AR-10) with a 16.5 barrel and a Thunderbeast suppressor. While I realize this is not a great choice for the application as the 308 is pushing the limits at this distance, I was thinking he would use this gun this year because he is willing to practice with it far more because reduced recoil, reduced muzzle blast/sound and the coolness factor.

It shoots 178 grain Hornady ELD-X's to 1 in groups and I called them and they told me that this was their best option due to it opening at slower speeds and the BC at long range. The Nosler Long Range AB also have higher velocity but they are not shipping yet. I could also handload CFE 223 to fairly hot loads with SGK's.

I would greatly appreciate advice as to whether to proceed with this plan for have him to shoot the 7Mag. He is 19 and in college.

Thank You

While most, if not all the elk I've taken could have been taken cleanly with a .308, a short-barreled/low-velocity AR10 would be low on my list for an elk hunt.

Have your son use plugs AND muffs when practicing. Recoil can be tamed using a shoulder pad and/or a good pad on the stock.

If your son doesn't like the recoil of the 7mm RM, a .25-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem, 7mm-08 or .280 might be a viable option.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are better choices for elk hunting than a short barreled AR. Nothing wrong with a .308, either. Some guides might take exception to a client lugging a chamber loaded AR on a hunt. They are also very noisy to load and unload. A 19 year old that is sensitive to recoil of a 7mm Remington Mag is understandable in this day and age. A 7mm-08 or 7x57 might be better. A friend's 13 year old daughter that is 85 pounds soaking wet handles a 7-08 with ease. Just sayin'

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.