GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why are you ditching the Ford?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you're only going to keep it a year like the current one, get which ever one tickles your fancy. They should all last that long. wink

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Terryk

Being bought back by Ford its a lemon. It's been a nightmare

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RyanTX
If you're only going to keep it a year like the current one, get which ever one tickles your fancy. They should all last that long. wink

I usually keep vehicles for at least 8 years.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Similar question here but I am looking for used options in mid-teen$.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it is a new truck they all are okay for awhile. As long as they are in warranty at least.

I am considering a frame off restoration of a 1968 to 1970 GM truck with 4wd, 350 V8, whatever trans and rear ends I want. I can get one for either side of $25,000.00. For use on the farm and the little highway driving I do it will last me for the rest of my time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Everyone has their favorite and their hate list. As soon as one brand is recommended someone will be along to tell you it's a piece of [bleep]. I went with Tundra.

Last time I purchased I wanted a fairly basic 4dr pickup with just a few options. By the time I priced what I wanted and what I was willing to pay I ended up with the tundra. I was near the end of the model year so was a little limited in choices, and most of the big 3 trucks were heavily optioned and more $$ than I was happy about, Toyota gave me the most choices in lightly optioned trucks. Plus I've had very good experience with Toyota in past.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a 2012 Tundra SR5 four-door with the 6 1/2 ft bed and 4WD. It also has the TRD off-road package. We're well over 144K on the odometer and have done nothing to it except the scheduled service. We replaced the OEM tires at about 25K and are on our second set of Hankook DynaPro ATMs. I did trash the front skid plate 2 1/2 years ago, but that was my fault, not any failure of the truck. Living in the middle of nowhere, most of our miles are highway miles, but we do a lot of off-roading on BLM and National Forest roads, as well as on unimproved ranch roads and two-tracks.

If you want a truck that will last 8 years, I would strongly recommend that you look at the Tundra. Before we bought the Tundra we had a Tacoma 4WD on which we put over 248K miles over an eight year period. Other than scheduled maintenance, we only replaced the center CV joint in the rear drive shaft at a little over 100K miles because it was a little loose. It was still running like a watch when we sold it. (The trucks overlapped for about 3 years before we bought a Mercury Sable for a road car.)

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Everyone has their favorite and their hate list. As soon as one brand is recommended someone will be along to tell you it's a piece of [bleep]. I went with Tundra.

Last time I purchased I wanted a fairly basic 4dr pickup with just a few options. By the time I priced what I wanted and what I was willing to pay I ended up with the tundra. I was near the end of the model year so was a little limited in choices, and most of the big 3 trucks were heavily optioned and more $$ than I was happy about, Toyota gave me the most choices in lightly optioned trucks. Plus I've had very good experience with Toyota in past.

Toyotas are not exactly given away and are more expensive then the big 3 generally. That said they hold their value better . Toyota IMHO has taken a dip in quality and noticeably so.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mudhen
We have a 2012 Tundra SR5 four-door with the 6 1/2 ft bed and 4WD. It also has the TRD off-road package. We're well over 144K on the odometer and have done nothing to it except the scheduled service. We replaced the OEM tires at about 25K and are on our second set of Hankook DynaPro ATMs. I did trash the front skid plate 2 1/2 years ago, but that was my fault, not any failure of the truck. Living in the middle of nowhere, most of our miles are highway miles, but we do a lot of off-roading on BLM and National Forest roads, as well as on unimproved ranch roads and two-tracks.

If you want a truck that will last 8 years, I would strongly recommend that you look at the Tundra. Before we bought the Tundra we had a Tacoma 4WD on which we put over 248K miles over an eight year period. Other than scheduled maintenance, we only replaced the center CV joint in the rear drive shaft at a little over 100K miles because it was a little loose. It was still running like a watch when we sold it. (The trucks overlapped for about 3 years before we bought a Mercury Sable for a road car.)

Looking very hard at one , chevy silverado and a 4 runner . After this past experience not rushing into anything.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by RyanTX

I usually keep vehicles for at least 8 years.

I was just teasing ya.

In a 1/2 ton, I'd be looking hard at the Tundra just on my personal experience with GM and Ford here at work and my friends experience with their Tundra's.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hate to say it but my 2014 Ram is the best truck I've ever had. I bought it new, no issues and 90K+ miles as of this morning.

I've had 2 toyotas, a chevy, and a chit ton of fords.

Last edited by tzone; 04/06/17.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am looking too. What I am finding is that chevy/GMC hold their value the best, followed by Ram, with Ford dragging up the rear. I am not really looking at Toyotas or Nissan, so I am not sure about their resale value. I'm not sure what that tells you, other than what the market will bear, but they all cost about the same new.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

What were the issues with the Ford?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by K1500
I am looking too. What I am finding is that chevy/GMC hold their value the best, followed by Ram, with Ford dragging up the rear. I am not really looking at Toyotas or Nissan, so I am not sure about their resale value. I'm not sure what that tells you, other than what the market will bear, but they all cost about the same new.

Toyota
Nissan
Chevy
Ford
Ram

I have looked this over carefully and that is the order it is. Chevy is little better then Ford in the Resale department.

A guy at work had his 2007 Tundra Tboned, he was almost killed This February. The Tundra had 180K on it and the insurance company gave him 17K for it. He bought another TUndra I wonder why?

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Poconojack

What were the issues with the Ford?

Baffling to say the least...driveline related. Cannot say anything else

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Does Ford have the capability to build one specifically for you with someone doing QC checks through the entire process knowing you had a lemon? Just a thought that if they'd essentially build one special for you with additional oversight it might be worth it. I have no idea if that's even a possibility though.

I've only had Ford trucks but I've had Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota fleet vehicles provided for me over the last 18yrs so I've dealt with those 4 dealerships. Our local Ford dealer has the best service dept followed by Toyota then Dodge. Our local GM dealer is just plain awful. They're slow and they often don't complete required and/or requested services when the vehicle is in their hands. Maddening! I've gotten to the point that the dealer is more important to me than what badge the vehicle wears.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought a new Ford in 2003. I had it in the shop for rusted out brake lines. That is normal for Minnesota.
We salt the roads a lot.
I test drove a new Ford with the Economy Boost engine, and I was very impressed.
If I ever wear out my F150 I would buy another one with the aluminum body.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by horse1
Does Ford have the capability to build one specifically for you with someone doing QC checks through the entire process knowing you had a lemon? Just a thought that if they'd essentially build one special for you with additional oversight it might be worth it. I have no idea if that's even a possibility though.

I don't think that is going to happen. I do not think it is a QC issue at all. I think it is a design issue that some cost accountant had something to do with.

WIth 5 digit mileage on it, the intake manifold ,hubs,axles, vacumn system have been replaced. I would be shocked if a another one would exhibit the same issues. That said at this point in the game not going to take that chance , not with something that costs this much. I drove all the brands mentioned about with the exception of the NIssan, it was so far ahead of whatever else I drove that it was silly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (Algotguns, Akhutr, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 10 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.