Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My wife and I will be spending the first 2 weeks of February in Ft Myers. She gave me a fishing trip for Christmas. I'm looking for advice on areas or if you have any favorite charter captains.
I'm looking for eating fish to enjoy in the condo. I've been on the party boats and have had enough just catching little fish. This time looking for more substantial fish. I'd also be interested in sharing expenses with any of the locals that may want to venture out.

Thanks for your replies!

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
257, I grew up on the west coast of FL. Isn't much you can't catch from shore on a live shrimp or pinfish. Artificials work good, too. As for artificials Mirrolures, Capt Hank Brown jigs, YoZuri silver minnows, and Gulp shrimp are what I use most for snook, redfish, trout. Squirt some scent of your choice on the hard plastics and jigs and you may up your chances a bit. If you want a shot at a big lazy snook or a tarpon, take a frozen mullet, step on it's head near the gill plates and throw it out with a sliding sinker and using a circle hook off the beach and let it sit. Live mullet will work, too. If you've got a small net pilchards also work great, but don't stay alive long in a bait bucket. Great bait, though.

Light to medium spin tackle is all you'll really need. 10 to 17 lb test braid and a fluororcarbon leader. Use a loop knot on the business end of your leader to get better action out of your artificials and live bait can move around better. If you wade or surf fish, this tackle will be more than adequate and remember, you don't have to throw it a mile. They're often right in front of you. grin

Suggest you get on Florida Sportsman BBS and start perusing and make the same post there.

Hope this helps. Good Luck and Have a Ball!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks so much!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Had decent luck on Snook, trout, and reds down there with rubber crabs, Carolina rigged or on a stand up jighead....for artificials. I don't 'know' the area, by any means, but my ventures have taken me through that area, and seems peeler crabs were high in the fish menu at that time, with swim baits second. Jigging a crab seems to get neglected inshore, and I'm just as guilty.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
257, h4whiskey has a good point. If you can figure out what they're favorite prey is, your miles ahead. Down here we call it "Match the Hatch".

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great advice. I'll be sure to check it out!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Get the Sun Waterline Edition app for your tablet or cell phone. It is a weekly fishing magazine that covers the Charlotte harbor and Pine Island areas. Weekly fishing reports, charter ads, etc. A really nice resource. Fishin Franks website out of Port Charlotte is a good resource too. Probably won't be any Tarpon around but there are always a lot of fish in and around the harbor.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
If you want a charter call Fishin Franks (941) 625-3888 and ask for Billy Barton. He is a young charter captain that is a go getter.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey, don't get Billy so busy I can't get him when I'm down there! We've been using him for six or seven years and he will flat put you on the fish.

257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Awesome guys. Thanks for the intel!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Curious, 257wby. How was your trip?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 21, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.