Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Just saw on gun broker there is a lefthand Winchester M70 stainless 30-06 for sale. Northwards of $1300 now. I'd like it for $900.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It would have sold 10 times over for $1000

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
$1455 with 5 days yet to go...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
NIB makes the rare and desirable even 10x more so. Wouldnt be surprised if the buyer has to spend 2k for that one

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by KenMi
NIB makes the rare and desirable even 10x more so. Wouldnt be surprised if the buyer has to spend 2k for that one

Understood. Unfortunately, the NIB for me, only lasts until I get it home... laugh

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How much of that is due to being stainless? I am just getting ready to use a NIB blued model for a doner hope this isn't a mistake. I checked and saw others for $900-1200 so I thought it was a reasonable loss.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of it is from being stainless. This is really the trifecta of LH Winchesters - stainless, .30-06 and NIB as thick gravy.

My prediction is that with three days left the current price plateau has driven away the casual bargain seekers but there will probably be a last minute flurry of bidding.

The market for LH Model 70's has softened a lot since Trump was elected although a .30-06 and .270 would still command a premium. But if you want to use a nice rifle already in your possession to make something you want I wouldn't quibble over a few hundred dollars. You'd still have to go out and find something else to use.

FWIW, the stainless models were only made in the first year of LH M70 production, 1996 IIRC. You could get stainless left handers from the custom shop after that but the regular production SS rifles are pretty scarce. I had two of the LH stainless custom shop models, still have one in .30-06 but the rifle itself means more to me than the $48,000 I'd want for it... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It was posted in the Winchester Collector forum a few days ago. I put in my bid but was ousted quickly.
Last week a LH Stainless Classic .270 brought $1550, but it wasn't NIB. Woulda liked that one but wasn't willing to put up the funds.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11954514/Nice_classic_stainless_'06_for#Post11954514

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
I am a lefty and a Winchester 70 CRF fan. So what calibers are not the prime choices where I could get a better deal on a Winchester if I wasn't too crazy for a particular caliber?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Better deal" and left hand Model 70 do not exactly go hand in hand, but I believe the WSM calibers command the least attention, then the 7mm Rem. Mag and maybe the .300 Win. Mag right behind it. The .30-06 and .270 generally command higher prices than the magnums but a .375 H&H would get the highest prices. They also made some in .338 WM but you don't see those come up often so they generally command a premium as well.

None of that is set in stone, of course, and prices fluctuate depending on condition. And some sellers were overly optimistic when the market was really good and even more so now that it has gone soft a bit.

There is a LH .375 H&H that's been sitting at $2800 for a long time and the same seller wants a starting bid of $1650 for a .270 - at least it's the same carpet and pair of socks in the pictures. wink

IC B3

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Yeah I figured that. I loath the WSSM and ain't a fan of WSMs. I figure maybe I can find a beat up 280,264,25-06 or something on that action for a deal. Love it for a bit,then do my 1st Win personal project rifle in maybe a 7x57?? I already have 2 M70 pre-64 style(post 64 CRF) lefty 375s. 1 is my gotta take with on any African or Alaska trip gun,even if I don't use it in Classic Super Express. The other 375 is a LNIB Safari Express w maybe 15-20 rnds fired. I poke around on GI,GA,GB from time to time looking. Well,hey ya gotta wish for the breaks once in awhile. Buy a lotto ticket.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jim in Idaho has it pegged. The various WSM followed by the 7mm Rem and .300 Win Mags seem to command the least.
You won't find a LH M70 280, 264 or 25-06 beat up or not because, except for Custom Shop special orders, they didn't make them. In a standard bolt face, the non-cutom shop LH model 70s only came in .270 & .30-06 flavors, and they bring a premium.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Well crap. Guess I will have to bid fast and big on GB. Thanks guys. I'm not hearing what I wanted,but,I'm hearing the truth. I DO see more in the way of Remington leftys . but,there Remingtons. I actually have a few righty Win,Rem,Weatherby,and Mauser's. I hear tikka is nice,a good value,and very accurate. I know nothing of them. I have always been more of a American flavor. Never cared for lefthand pumps. Shotguns or Rem. I don't use a lefthand fishing reel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're looking for an American made rifle with the CRF feature of Winchesters then Montana Rifle Company aka MRC makes left hand stainless and blued models in several different calibers. Their stainless rifles come in their own fiberglass stock while the blued ones come in a relatively plain wood stock. They aren't cheap, blued ones retail for just under $1100 with the stainless ones going for around $40 more - those are general numbers for new ones and unfortunately you don't see a lot of used left handers around.

Anyway, if you're looking for a donor in a caliber or suitable bolt face size you want that may be one way to go, or you could call them and tell them what you're looking for as I believe we had a discussion recently here that they can make one up for you as a special order although that would most likely add some bucks to the price.

Or you could send a PM to member shortactionsmoker here on the campfire, he is an HHIC at Whittaker's Guns in Kentucky. They are a stocking MRC dealer and from what I've seen have prices as good or better than most you'll find on the net, plus they put a big emphasis on good customer service. He may be able to order one for you at a competitive price.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
But if you want to use a nice rifle already in your possession to make something you want I wouldn't quibble over a few hundred dollars. You'd still have to go out and find something else to use.

Thanks. I went ahead and pulled the plug. I'm keeping the barrel and stock to put back together if I ever change my mind or the prices go crazy high. I'm just glad I bought some of the LH NH when I did. I passed on several stainless models when they first came out as they just didn't look right to me. Regretting that now.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Yes that was me. I was asking was Montana Rifles still in business because no emails answered or phone calls. Yeah, we were discussing lefthand 6.5x55 Swedes and 7x57 rifles. Since they are still open and everyone says expect 6 months minimum for a special order, I will see what the 'Ol wallet has to say. I have always wanted a 35 Whelen. Maybe that V2 stainless job with sights and syn stock. Do you honestly think they will ever get around to making their lefthand double square bridge Mauser's? I will was your car forever if you could pull some strings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I could pull some strings I would've pulled them for me a long time ago. wink

I really don't know what they will do in the future. They've grown from a good idea with a rough action to a fully finished rifle maker in the last 18 years so you never know. I probably already said this in that last thread, somehow they turn out a nice rifle but the company personnel are often disappointing and frustrating to deal with. I keep debating about selling my 6.5 Swede but the action is so smooth and nice it just seems a waste to get rid of a perfectly good donor for whatever future whim might tickle my fancy. wink

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Keep it. Unless you gotta have some emergency cash. Rifle like that will sell in a heartbeat,so you never need to think can you get rid of it. More like how much do I want too charge for it. And usually people regret letting that sweet rifle go. I know I have. I once needed some dough for an attorney fee and some of my babies just had to go. Didn't want to. I had to. Now I'm in recoup mode. Its good to be building instead of liquidating. And yes, you said exactly that about Montana Rifle. Should most likely get a great rifle but customer service is lacking or something to that effect. I was doing a rather exhausting search for V2 and i found a 416 Ruger! Really? Who the @@#%% wants a lefthand 416 Ruger SS? Well I guess nobody because it was available. I bet I will find some cherry nice rifle and my transmission will take a dump on me just before I buy it.

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
And thank you Jim for offering me assistance with Wittier. That is very nice of you. I will PM you when the time is right. People tell me they do "group buys" and see about getting in on one when its what I'm wanting. I've been outa the game for awhile now, feels good to get back in the grove again.

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They also made some in .338 WM but you don't see those come up often so they generally command a premium as well.

I have one (stainless, 338Win Mag, M70) that I cut the BOSS off of it, and recrowned it. Haven't played with it much, but the first few groups weren't great.

I'm sure there's lots of safe dings, and the occasional corrosion spot. How much do you think that would sell for?

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.