Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm looking for a pack and tent. Gear has sure changed - last time I did any serious backpacking I used an external frame....

I don't want a massive pack. I'd like it to be a good day pack that expands big enough to hold an elk quarter. The pack also needs to fit someone who's 6'3".

The tent should be 2 man, light and easy to set up.

I'm open to buying the tent online but would like the pack to be fitted locally. Stores local to me are include REI and Whole Earth Provisions.

Thanks for your thoughts!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check out Big Agnes for an UL tent. They have a couple of different lines that would work for you depending on how much you value cutting ounces.

You are really limiting yourself if you stick with bags available through local vendors. Lots of info out there on pack fitting and most manufacturers that sell direct will help you out.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out this backpack

Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

and this tent

REI Quarter Dome T-2

I have a bunch of packs and none are perfect. The Osprey Aether 85 is my current "go to" backpack because it's the most comfortable pack that I own. But it's not a hunting pack. The Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 will be my next backpack and maybe this time I'll get one closer to perfect.

I have owned and used an REI Quarter Dome T-2 for seven years and it's still my "go to" tent.

I own a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-1. It weighs only 2 1/2 pounds. But the manufacturer has used very lightweight materials to get that super low weight and the tent is really flimsy. I wouldn't buy another or recommend anyone else to buy one.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
check out Kifaru.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks guys!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Seek Outside and seek outside!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm your height, don't mess with the Kuiu pack.

I would go with a Exo 3500 or 5500 or a Kifaru bag of your choice with the 26' frame.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm an 2 inches shorter and my Kuiu Icon fits perfectly. It depends more on torso length more than overall height as some people have odd builds. Call and talk to Kuiu, they were very helpful when I was figuring out what size pack frame I needed. I will say my Icon Pro 5200 is miles better than the internal frame pack I was using before in terms of fit, layout build quality and how well thought out the design is.

Last edited by ajmorell; 04/14/17.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by STS45
I'm your height, don't mess with the Kuiu pack.

I would go with a Exo 3500 or 5500 or a Kifaru bag of your choice with the 26' frame.

Im a bit taller, 6'4 and I find the kifaru 26" frame works very well. Im running it with their DT1 and ive been very happy with that set up.

I have a barneys pack too but I mostly just use it for hauling moose quarters or things like that.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I,m a scoshe shorter than you at six two, running a 26" Kifaru hunting platform, mtn warrior bag. That thing has damn near turned into a pice of clothing, grab it most anytime I,m heading out. I,m a cheap bastid, and they are expensive, but no buyers remorse. They have plent of different bags to choose from, pretty small and minimalist to fifth wheel size..
All that being said, check out the new Stone Glacier XCurve frame, and one of the mid size bags. There,s some really good options out there, frame fit prolly being the big deciding factor..

Tents, a Seek Outside Cimarron be pretty light, packs down pretty small. Floorless, lets you al carte whatever set up you,re comfortable with, nest or no..
Conventional tent, with floor, Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 be an option to look at, or the REI ultra lightweight tents..

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC
Check out this backpack

Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

and this tent

REI Quarter Dome T-2

I have a bunch of packs and none are perfect. The Osprey Aether 85 is my current "go to" backpack because it's the most comfortable pack that I own. But it's not a hunting pack. The Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 will be my next backpack and maybe this time I'll get one closer to perfect.

I have owned and used an REI Quarter Dome T-2 for seven years and it's still my "go to" tent.

I own a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-1. It weighs only 2 1/2 pounds. But the manufacturer has used very lightweight materials to get that super low weight and the tent is really flimsy. I wouldn't buy another or recommend anyone else to buy one.

KC

Safe yourself some money and weight in the long run and get a stone glacier pack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Safe yourself some money and weight in the long run and get a stone glacier pack.

This or a Paradox. I like both for different reasons. However, both are very light, very sturdy, very comfortable under a load and are overall excellent packs.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/24/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you're probably not going to have a lot of luck getting fitted locally for a pack that can handle an elk quarter adequately; I'd highly recommend sticking with a dedicated hunting pack.

I've been very pleased with my Stone Glacier pack, the suspension is fully adjustable. If on the off chance it just didn't fit properly you can send it back for a full refund (not after it's already packed out a bloody quarter :D)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunting packs used to be grossly over-weight, swollen daypacks with questionable suspension, designed by people who never went backpacking. Thankfully things have changed for the better with some great options in Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Seek Outside, MR, etc.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The best hunting packs aren't available through retail stores. The consensus is that the top tier of hunting packs includes Exo Mountain gear, Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch. I lean toward the first 2 on the list but all are good. Plan to spend between $500 - $800 for any of them. For your stated use, I'd recommend the Exo 3500 or Kifaru Mountain Warrior. Modern packs compress incredibly well and even very large packs become very small in day pack mode.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Backpacking packs and hunting packs have diverged quite a bit. The backpacking gear has lost a lot of weight and bulk over the past 15 years. Most backpacking packs have accordingly downsized, especially in frame strength. Thirty years ago, my pack for a long weekend was over forty pounds. Now, its half that and I'm not a super light packer. You may want to consider getting a regular backpacking oriented pack for backpacking. It gives you more choices and will be lighter.

You've probably noticed that hunting packs with a heavy duty frame, suitable for carrying heavy loads, tend to be expensive and are not stocked at REI. As stated above, mail order and a call to customer service is your friend on fitting.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, guys.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Seek Outside is top shelf stuff as well.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC
Check out this backpack

Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

and this tent

REI Quarter Dome T-2

KC

Here are the facts. Packs by Osprey and Stone Glacier that are the same size, weigh about the same. The Stone Glacier pack with required frame costs about twice as much as an equivalent Osprey Pack. The Osprey pack is designed for comfort when carrying moderate recreational backpacking loads. The Stone Glacier pack system is a heavy duty pack intended for carrying heavy loads and that's what you get for the extra money. But it doesn't weigh less and it's certainly not cheaper.

Stone Glacier 5900 with lid weight = 5.10lbs on Medium Krux with lid. empty - $659 including Frame & Lid

Osprey Aether 85, large frame, weight = 5# 4oz. empty - $330 complete

Both are good packs. But they are intended for different uses.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by KC
Check out this backpack

Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

and this tent

REI Quarter Dome T-2

KC

Here are the facts. Packs by Osprey and Stone Glacier that are the same size, weigh about the same. The Stone Glacier pack with required frame costs about twice as much as an equivalent Osprey Pack. The Osprey pack is designed for comfort when carrying moderate recreational backpacking loads. The Stone Glacier pack system is a heavy duty pack intended for carrying heavy loads and that's what you get for the extra money. But it doesn't weigh less and it's certainly not cheaper.

Stone Glacier 5900 with lid weight = 5.10lbs on Medium Krux with lid. empty - $659 including Frame & Lid

KC

You are correct, most Osprey packs for moderate loads , but with really good functional designs weigh a bit over 5 lbs. Not trying to sell our packs here really , but our Unaweep 4800 and Talon are very functional and 3 lbs 8 ounces ..maybe 4 lbs with a detachable day pack. These run $400 - $500 depending , can support 100 lb loads , and use waterproof fabrics so things like rain and slush etc are not really a big deal. If you want load shelf packs, it does add to the complexity and cost and you end up in 500 -700 area generally, with a bit more weight, but you also end up with essentially one pack that handle everything from carrying out quarters to backpacking to backpack gear and quarters.

Comparing and Osprey, while a nice pack , is not really apples to apples. I could not recommend and osprey for a bear hide, or elk quarters. Sure you might get away with it ..especially if you have pack animal access, but if you don't they would not be my first choice.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by KC
Check out this backpack

Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

and this tent

REI Quarter Dome T-2

KC

KC

Yeah that's my bad I thought this was the backpack hunting forum where often users carry more than moderator loads. I hate it what I get forums messed up and I end up on backpacking light wink

Yes it costs twice as much..... yes I like the Aether a lot and have used one extensively for general backpacking. That said you can continue to buy multiple OTC packs that carry moderate loads and keep searching for the Holy Grail and wonder why they just don't work as well or get a pack that is actually designed to handle 100 pounds with a frame to make that less miserable.

The difference is less than most spend on a rifle scope. And I would much rather hunt with a red field revolution rifle scope a seek outside, Kifaru, or stone glacier, than a fancy vx-3 $450 rifle scope and an Osprey Aether even as much as I like it.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Scour ebay and craigslist for a size large Dana Designs Terraplane or Alpine. If you have a short neck and long torso and 34" inseam pants or less, get XL. If your waist >36", try to get one with a large waistbelt (most are medium).

My vintage large Dana Alpine weighs about 6.5 lbs, bought locally on craigslist for $50.

I'm only an angry wife away from buying this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-Alpine-LTW-backpack-size-large-/382060255241?hash=item58f490d809:g:l5EAAOSwuxFY01TM

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Vek
Scour ebay and craigslist for a size large Dana Designs Terraplane or Alpine. If you have a short neck and long torso and 34" inseam pants or less, get XL. If your waist >36", try to get one with a large waistbelt (most are medium).

My vintage large Dana Alpine weighs about 6.5 lbs, bought locally on craigslist for $50.

I'm only an angry wife away from buying this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-Alpine-LTW-backpack-size-large-/382060255241?hash=item58f490d809:g:l5EAAOSwuxFY01TM

Screw it - bought it anyway. I needed something on which to spray all of my leftover earthy spray paint.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Vek

Take mine... smile

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Comparing and Osprey, while a nice pack , is not really apples to apples. I could not recommend and osprey for a bear hide, or elk quarters. Sure you might get away with it ..especially if you have pack animal access, but if you don't they would not be my first choice.

I agree with you.

When I drop an elk in the backcountry, I carry out the first load of loose meat in the Osprey, then I switch to a bigger heavy duty pack to carry out the heavy quarters. Eventually I switch back to the Osprey to go back in and retrieve my camp.

At least that's the way I use to do it when I was young and strong like many of you guys. But now I use a horse to carry out the heavy quarters when I am in an area where horse rental is practical and available.

KC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 73 invisible), 3,108 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.