Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I guess this is a dumass question. Can Elk jump a regular fence. We see them now and again on our deer lease. There is a place down in a steep draw, the fence is down. I figure they come and go through that place. I didn't think Aoudads could jump a fence until last deer season, when I saw a couple hop right over.

I have a game camera down in that draw. I have the usual game passing through that break in the fence, but no Elk. So, I'm wondering if the Elk can jump a fence? I've walked-ridden the rest of the lease, no breaks.

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep. Or step over some.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
So if we get some calls, that bull that was raising hell last fall might come over the fence to our side??? He went on and on for days.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, that all depends on how good you are with the calls. That, and whether he already has a bunch of cows over where he is.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A healthy adult elk can clear a 6 foot fence...and maybe higher.

Two years ago I watched a large bull jump a blowdown that was 6 ft high and easily 6ft across--he didn't even disturb the 4-6 inches of fresh powder snow on top of the logs......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes and if they don't like the fence they just take it out!!
Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elk have the reputation of being hard on fences, and it's the cows with calves that are the culprits. Adults and yearlings can jump just about any livestock fence, but the calves cannot, so the cows break down fences so that their calves can cross.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep. If they can't jump it they'll run it over.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by northcountry
Cheers NC

How true.......

35 years ago we fed deer and elk on our ranch for the CPW during a harsh winter. When a recent Left Coast Refugee moved nearby and let his dogs run on our property--and chase the wildlife and our livestock--I had to go on a canine shooting spree. One evening when one of the Refugee's dogs were circling about 150 head of elk on our place, I was compelled to shoot the offending dog.

Needless to say the 150 head of elk lined out and headed straight for the Refugee's place--taking out every fence he had laugh

I had to fix my own fence too but it was worth it..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a cow going over a 6' fence like it's laying flat on the ground.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easily, although in a panic they will simply go through. Cookie dropped a cow years back with a single round and the group stood around and went back to foraging. When we finally stood to get to work, they took out about 60 yds of 4-string barbed wire. Went in and repaired it the next day.

1Minute
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by northcountry
Cheers NC

How true.......

35 years ago we fed deer and elk on our ranch for the CPW during a harsh winter. When a recent Left Coast Refugee moved nearby and let his dogs run on our property--and chase the wildlife and our livestock--I had to go on a canine shooting spree. One evening when one of the Refugee's dogs were circling about 150 head of elk on our place, I was compelled to shoot the offending dog.

Needless to say the 150 head of elk lined out and headed straight for the Refugee's place--taking out every fence he had laugh

I had to fix my own fence too but it was worth it..........

Casey

Casey, I like yer way of thinkin'. wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My experience is that the situation dictates whether an elk jumps a fence or takes it out.

Used to work on a ranch that, at times, had over 1,000 head of elk on it. Fixed a lot of fence behind them.

What I saw was if elk were pressured, they would often run right through a fence. If not, they would jump it like it wasn't there. Cows, calves, bulls, didn't matter.

When elk take out a fence, we'd refer to it as an elk-kill. Because when they took one out, it was usually at least a couple hundred yards of fence destroyed and often the fence would be a quarter mile into the pasture.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buddy's Ranch down in Coleman, TX borders a high fence Ranch with about 40 head of Elk with some really nice Bulls.
Twice I've seen those elk jump the high fence over into the Buddy's Ranch.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
One of the coolest things to watch is an elk clear a fence. Graceful.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
They must be jumping the fence. That's why we see them once in a while.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've also watched them actually climb a fence ... hoof over hoof on the strands. Which, if it's wire strung on wood posts, yanks out the steeples. Not so much on steel ... those fences act more like ladders.

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself ... more than once.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of ranches that have elk or migrating elk, have drop fences that are held to the post with wire or wire clips. They drop the fence in late fall after stock is moved off.Cheaper than building new fence.Some ranches with NF grazing leases that put in drift fences may be required to drop them. I'm not 100% positive about that though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Aware of some public land fences border the Idaho side of Hells Canyon that are rigged to be dropped. Also beneficial where blowing snow can put heavy pressure on them.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One way of making a drop fence that's fairly common is to use wood posts. Put in 2 extra long staples about 1" apart, 1 above the other. Pound them in about 1/2 way. The wire is held against the post between the staples and a large headed nail is dropped through the staples to hold the wire in. To drop it, simply lift the nails out.
Putting that many wood posts in rocky ground isn't as fun as it sounds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257 mag, 007FJ, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.