Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
Not a gun writer or bear guide, but, if it's what I had to use I'd stoke it with 140 gr partitions with a 1.5-5 Leopold up top and practice, practice, practice!

gunner, someone who can afford such a hunt can afford at least a cheap 30-06 and stoke it with your favorite the 200 gr. NPT.

Or borrow one of your big boomers... laugh

And promise not to scratch it up... laugh

DF

LOL, I'd gladly loan a boomer, wouldn't even bitch too bad about a few "making a new history" scratches. smile

Trump Won!
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Not a gun writer or bear guide, but, if it's what I had to use I'd stoke it with 140 gr partitions with a 1.5-5 Leopold up top and practice, practice, practice!

I shot an "easy-to-kill" medium sized bull moose years ago...with my Swede..distance around 150 yards.. 2 140 A-Frames, 2 140 Partitions. The all four shots landed basically broadside catching the muscles of the legs as well as the lungs over a period of time that it took to reacquire the target among a small group of animals. The animal finally keeled over when a buddy snuck in and poked a 180 Core-lokt (30-06) which ventilated the lungs and both side of the animal. The best penetration I got was the Partitons, which were against the hide when they stopped; the A-Frames stuck in the muscle mass of the offside leg. Having had a much smaller animal, a small DLP bear 'catch' (and hold) a 12 gauge Brenneke slug , broadside, at under 30 yards, I'm not a big fan of playing bullet/rifle limbo. Not saying it can't be done....

10-4 Klik, I did wonder about the 6.5, but of course don't know the Mans situation, were I too specifically book a BIG bear hunt the smallest I'd carry would be my 9.3x62 firing 320 gr Woodleighs at 2400 fps.

Better still would be my 400 Whelen with 400 gr Woodleighs at 2255 fps, both are 98 Mausers and wear 1.5-5 Leupolds. wink

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't remember who wrote it, but I remember reading an article debating such an issue. The writer opined that if he could build the ideal rifle to stop a big bear, it would be a full auto firing bowling balls! shocked

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I shot an "easy-to-kill" medium sized bull moose years ago...with my Swede..distance around 150 yards.. 2 140 A-Frames, 2 140 Partitions. The all four shots landed basically broadside catching the muscles of the legs as well as the lungs over a period of time that it took to reacquire the target among a small group of animals. The animal finally keeled over when a buddy snuck in and poked a 180 Core-lokt (30-06) which ventilated the lungs and both side of the animal. The best penetration I got was the Partitons, which were against the hide when they stopped; the A-Frames stuck in the muscle mass of the offside leg. Having had a much smaller animal, a small DLP bear 'catch' (and hold) a 12 gauge Brenneke slug , broadside, at under 30 yards, I'm not a big fan of playing bullet/rifle limbo. Not saying it can't be done....

10-4 Klik, I did wonder about the 6.5, but of course don't know the Mans situation, were I too specifically book a BIG bear hunt the smallest I'd carry would be my 9.3x62 firing 320 gr Woodleighs at 2400 fps.

Better still would be my 400 Whelen with 400 gr Woodleighs at 2255 fps, both are 98 Mausers and wear 1.5-5 Leupolds. wink

I think more like you, gunner.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I ever get the opportunity to hunt a grizzly on the tundra, I would feel comfortable with my .270 or 30-06.

If you ever get the opportunity then the rifle is actually a smaller part of your budget. I mean we are probably talking 25 grand all totaled for a guided hunt. Rifle and glass, probably $1600 is reasonable. The Ruger Guide gun in 375 Ruger goes for $1100-$1200, $500 or so on glass.

Last edited by Armednfree; 04/10/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458Win
If anyone cares to read the stories and advertisements of the old Alaskan bear guides; men like And Simons, Hal Waugh, Jay Williams, Slim Moore, Bill Pinnell, Morris Talifson and dozens and dozens of others with a lifetime of killing bears you will find out that I am in a rather large group of people who recommend rifles in the power class and capabilities of the 30-06 for bear hunters. The bears of today are no bigger and our bullets are better .

Some of those guides, just as I did after my first serious charge, eventually chose larger calibers with which to back up clients. As you take any advantage when you have to wrinkle a wounded bear out of the pucker brush when a client misplaces a shot, but many guides had enough faith in both their 30-06 and their shooting ability that they continued to use their 30-06's .
There were even a few guides who thought the .270 big enough !

I've offered to wager with anyone willing to take the time to research it, that more bears have been killed with the .30-06 than the next two cartridges combined.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

I've offered to wager with anyone willing to take the time to research it, that more bears have been killed with the .30-06 than the next two cartridges combined.

Seems to me that the 30-06 suffers from being boring to many. But it is much more often under-rated than over-rated, if it gets much notice at all. 'Twas my first 'big' rifle and I think more of it these these days than I did when I first acquired one 30-some odd years ago. The fact that it has accounted for many tons of moose meat across our table and without drama might have something to do with that. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As Phil noted, the bullets are better now too, making the round more than a little bit better than it was a century ago.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What so many gun geeks overlook is that the bullet, and the bullet only, is what does the killing and with all the great bullets we now have, if you place your shots carefully you can safely get by with a lot smaller caliber than in the past.

Even a 9mm wink

But with modern bullets the 300's, 338, 375, 416 and 458 are more effective as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Age, and I suppose what passes for a certain amount of "Wisdom" have caught up with me, and with all due respect to Jack O'Connor, unless I just absolutely have no other choice, am NEVER choosing a .270 as a large Bear (or large anything else) Caliber.

Were it required, I'd be driving a 160 Gr. monolithic or partition at the highest velocity that kept me out of the "I accept sticky bolt lift" camp, and shoot with somewhat puckered confidence.

Stepping up to a 200 Gr in a .30-06, in and around 2550 to 2600 ? .....gotta agree, that's one that I shoot WELL, and likely plenty big enough.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What so many gun geeks overlook is that the bullet, and the bullet only, is what does the killing and with all the great bullets we now have, if you place your shots carefully you can safely get by with a lot smaller caliber than in the past.

Even a 9mm wink

But with modern bullets the 300's, 338, 375, 416 and 458 are more effective as well.

Phil,

what bullets do you use in your rifle and pistol?

Looking for specifics.

Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a writer but for me personally. Brown bear would be a very reliable 375 HH with 270 TSX. Manageable recoil and ammo available everywhere. For black bear 3006 with 165 TSX. Very proven combo and again very common. Matter of fact you could do just about anything anywhere with that combo. I know it might be a bit boring but very very proven......YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Even a 9mm wink

Phil,

what bullets do you use in your rifle and pistol?

Looking for specifics.

Thanks.

When I was doing still working for Wolfe Pub I tested and used virtually all the rifle bullets and have specific bullets that I like for specific calibers. I really like the 200 gr Partitions in my 30-06, the 270 TSX in the 375's and 500 gr Hornady Innerbonds or 450 Swift A-frames in my 458.
On handguns I like either heavy, hard cast lead or the Sierra FN jacketed match bullets.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you Phil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the stupidest thread since the one asking about the SKS being okay for deer.

I think it's patently irresponsible for people to give firearms to animals. Giving a bear a gun is just asking for trouble. Besides, most animals do not have opposable thumbs, so handling a rifle is extremely problematic, regardless of the chambering. . .

. . . oh. Nevermind.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The biggest trouble with the 'shot placement is "98%"' argument is that "98%" of people who come into bear territory to pursue them or other things are unfamiliar with the conditions under which they will be shooting and often find some challenges in doing the 98% thing. While 'more' certainly doesn't give one the freedom to simply 'hit fur', and energy alone is hardly a good figure on which to base killing effect, there is something to the mass/momentum/energy/frontal area which certainly gives an edge to 'more'.

Thumbs up to that one!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
This is the stupidest thread since the one asking about the SKS being okay for deer.

I think it's patently irresponsible for people to give firearms to animals. Giving a bear a gun is just asking for trouble. Besides, most animals do not have opposable thumbs, so handling a rifle is extremely problematic, regardless of the chambering. . .

. oh. Nevermind.

Wait til they learn how to drive!

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my favorite Far Sides of all time...

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.