Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't have the whole story, but got an email from Sure' Scott's wife last night went missing in Zimbabwe on Thursday. Obviously there are lots' of concerns about this. Not positive why he was there but know he was looking at opening more area out side of So. Africa. He had his tracking dogs, and one didn't come back. There are supposed to be several searchers out looking for him. I heard last night that his back pack was found near (the? a?)River. I assume if they can follow well enough to find a back pack he owned they should be able to determine if he went on. Also heard there was speculation that a croc got him. Never been around them so don't know what kind of hunters they are. I've known Scott for several years and have hunted with him. Has anyone heard anything about this? Not sure how much of what I've heard is true, outside of he's missing. Prayers for the family and for him to be found. What is the weather now this time of year. I know he didn't always carry a gun when in the bush.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
"I know he didn't always carry a gun when in the bush"

Wow...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
-
https://www.gofundme.com/search-rescue-scott-van-zyl

Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I heard last night that his back pack was found near (the? a?)River.
I assume if they can follow well enough to find a back pack he owned they should be able to determine if he went on.

My understanding is the pack was spotted at the Limpopo via air search efforts, not by ground trackers.
and he was operating out from Chikwaraka Camp.

The story goes, he and his tracker split up to take dogs on separate leopard tracks.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terrible news. Been following the story in the evenings from camp while hunting.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Here is a thread on another forum with about all that is really known about his disappearance:
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...-van-zyl-gone-missing-in-zimbabwe.37136/
The search efforts are being funded in a large part by the hunting community. You can donate here:
There are also updates posted there as well. He has been missing since last Fri..........
Bruce

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prayed for him when I heard about this. I am so sorry for his family until he returns alive.

Maybe I am a sissy boy, but I wouldn't go out of camp in Alaska without a gun.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Ringman

Guns are handy in camp also . . .

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Thought I'd post the latest. Scroll down and click on "read latest update". More prayers sent.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
This is the latest update:

UPDATE #15: Evening everyone, herewith the latest update from the SAR team. The search has continued today focussing mostly on the river again. Here is a message received directly from the SAR co-ordinator: "Possible human remains found in crocodiles shot today by the Zimbabwe police. Samples have been sent to the lab to confirm, will send more details when we have the results."

I would like to emphasise the word "possible" as it was sent to confirm the DNA and only once the DNA is confirmed, will they know the details.

I would like to ask again, keep the family and their feelings in mind when commenting or sharing this until there's confirmation from the lab. This is just a possible scenario and not a fact at this stage.

Thank you for your consideration and understanding. Please keep the family in your prayers and thank you again for all your contributions. Without all your support, we would not have been able to get this far.
Help spread the word!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I prayed for him when I heard about this. I am so sorry for his family until he returns alive.

You do know the Gentleman is missing in Zimbabwe,Africa,right?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
THANKS,Cj. Couldn't get it to copy and paste for nothing.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
That's ok. I didn't like the message or printing it. But I guess it's better than never knowing. Family has got to be worrying big time. I know his brother is there looking as well. I just can't imagine getting news like this.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

You do know the Gentleman is missing in Zimbabwe,Africa,right?

Ken now that is funny. I don't care who you are. laugh laugh laugh

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
grin

On a serious note,please keep us posted Cj. Hopefully Scott will be found alive and prayers for his family,they are going thru hell right now.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll keep everyone posted. I suspect it will be a while before we know still, DNA isn't a quick process and I suspect it's slower over there. Scott is a good friend, I've known him for several years, and hunted with him. Very capable fellow, can't imagine how this could happen, except I understand crocs can run upwards of 20 MPH on dry ground. Who knows maybe one came up behind him or more than one. Lots of questions that will probably never be answered.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
UPDATE #16: Friday, 14 April 2017 - Feedback from the chairman at the Limpopo Hunters Liason Forum (LHLF) - Mr. Phillip Bronkhorst:

"Today exactly a week ago fellow PH, friend and family man Scott van Zyl went missing on the banks of the Limpopo River. The search and rescue team has done everything humanly possible to find Scott.

Lots of help and support was given by several organizations and individuals. We will not name all of them now but a list will follow shortly.

Since yesterday when POSSIBLE human remains was found, more searching was done today in the area. By around midday today general consensus was reached by the SAR team that they had done what was possible to find info on this puzzle and to find Scott. The SAR was called off for the moment BUT contact will be kept with locals, villagers and fisherman on both sides of the river to get more possible info from the locals on the ground.

A formal police investigation has been launched and each and everyone hope for a closure on this incident.
Please keep Sure, their 2 kids and all the family in your daily prayers and thoughts.

DNA testing on some of the content that was found in the stomachs of the crocodiles shot to verify if it is human or not will only be available in a couple weeks and up till then the uncertainty will remain and hope will prevail.

A full breakdown of total costs of this SAR is in process to be finalized and if you still want to donate please keep doing so. The funds generated now will be allocated towards Scott's family to cover any further immediate costs. Please also when sharing this message keep the info within the boundaries laid out by this message and do not trespass the boundaries of negative news sharing like we have experience the last couple days from several prominent news agencies."

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Just damn,Cj. Something about losing a good friend to a violent death that cuts to the bone. I'm praying that this isn't the case here.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
TTT

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I see the account at "Go-Fund-Me" has shut down. Did GOOD though at over $40k.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I read on another site that DNA tests on the remains were a match to Scott.

RIP...

He went over yonder way
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

627 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.