Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Just reading some of the posts on here makes me wonder what reasons people have for hunting with the guns? I started in 2011 with a Colt 6720 and a Kahles riflescope in a RRA scope mount. I killed a 10 PT with it and the 62 grain TSX and convinced myself that the 223 can kill big animals no differently than a 30-06. At first I used the guns as a novelty just to say it could be done and I had done it. The only draw back to the guns is that some are a it heavier than a comparable gun in bolt action. The other drawback that is my perception more than reality is that the bullet may be deflected a bit more by a trig that might not deflect a 165 as much. I built a 6.8 and while it is not a tack driver it's about a 2 MOA gun, but there is not a deer in the woods I cannot hit at the ranges I hunt at. I hunt with this gun and a Kimberly Montana in 308 and a Kimberly select classic in 257 bob. Why do I carry the 6.8 over the lighter and more powerful 308? Mostly due to hunting conditions. If it might involve running into a "flock" of hogs, a shot where I am dealing with close range but area where deer run between brush openings, or sometimes just because I want to.

ARIC

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I started back in the 80's with a mini 14 and mostly hunted coyote. It wasn't long until I realized the AR was more accurate but I didn't like the ergo's. Along came my first brush with a carbine and I had to have one.

I've gotten so used to the ergo's now that as I stated in the other thread, a bolt gun doesn't feel right, especially on sticks. We can hunt deer here as well with the 223 and it works just fine.

I just like them and having a quick follow up shot is a bonus. An adjustable stock made it easy to teach my daughter's to shoot. They take the weather good. And probably just to make a certain class of people mad. What's not to like?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i like the novelty of it. the second shot available instantly is nice too.

Ed

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Because I have the freedom to make a choice.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Because I have the freedom to make a choice.

Sums it up in a nutshell.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I probably never would have until we started shooting competitively with them.

They just FIT great after all those years.

I"ve found them to be great for follow up shots too, I"ve found exactly one set of pigs that I made that work on, 3 in teh sendero, 3 dead before they got away.

Other than that I"ve never fired more than one round out of them at game at a time.

Great to have the freedom to choose too.

Lately I"ve gone away from them as we move to suppressors at teh deer lease, the suppressor part works, but the action noise is there, and its just more fun to not disturb the place any more than one has to.

FWIW one of my longest deer kills has been with one with irons, 223, 75 amax, 556 or 565 yards, I forget which...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just love the looks and accuracy of the AR Rifle

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Because I want to.

The fact that it frustrates the fudds and liberals is just a bonus.

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ulner nerve damage in both arms. Much easier to control gun with pistol grip.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Fused right wrist. Pistol grip a necessity. Short lop 12-12.5". Adjustable stock works great no matter what clothing you are wearing. Quick follow up shots. Picatinny rail makes mounting optics & accessories easy.

Last edited by carlm; 04/11/17.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the reasons I hunt with an AR 15 are many. up until about 10 years ago there simply wasn't the scope mounts and stocks that allowed me to feel comfortable using an AR so I didn't own one. Now days we have lots of scope mounts and stocks that make the gun seem like its no longer designed for someone the size of a midget.

I hunt mainly coyotes. I would not use the AR for big game deer hunting or larger. after 3 seasons of coyote hunting I think the Ar 15 is actually pretty low powered when it comes to putting down a coyotes. But I shoot an AR SOOO much better in the field than I do a traditional stocked rifle. everything just ends up dead. I attribute it to 2 things. the vertical grip applies less torque to the gun when squeezing the trigger. I find that I can hit alot better even standing off hand than I can with a bolt gun. the other is the 2 stage trigger. I can pull up the first stage while I am settling the gun on the target, then squeeze off the final amount when everything is lined up. The gun is just more steady on target than a bolt gun. I don't even think about the trigger anymore it just goes off when it needs to. no worrying about trigger control. its like my finger knows when everything looks right and the gun goes off. I simply don't miss coyotes I should hit anymore. before with bolt guns and single stage triggers no matter how ligtht I ran those at 28 oz there was still a struggle for me getting a perfect break on the trigger. in the field a good break on the trigger is the difference between hitting and missing. the 2 stage trigger just allows me to feel the trigger. I can't explain it. its simply automatic, I don't think about it.

the other is multiple shots of course. with a semi auto getting off quick shots 2 shoot multiple animals or to pick up one that is on the run.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I hunt with an AR is prairie dogs and coyotes

I love it in a dog town

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Because shooting prairie dogs with an AR is the most fun you can have with your cloths one.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Another method, and I like methods!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by tedthorn
The only thing I hunt with an AR is prairie dogs and coyotes

I love it in a dog town

THIS^^^^^^^

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
It works.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I only use them for coyotes. I like them for accuracy and quick follow up shot.

NRA Patron
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They are a marvelous pig gun. If you catch a bunch of pigs, it's fun to shoot cshit out of them.
[Linked Image]

I killed these with an AR 10. Quick follow up shots.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Because I can if I want to.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am liking my 6.8 over the Ruger SR762 just because of the weight. I have gotten 130's to shoot in the gun, so that is going to be my deer gun next year, with a 10 and a 15 round magazine holding 130 grain nosler flat base bullets it might stop a pig or two should they show up as they sometimes do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.