Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Zengela
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Actually just ordered a Savage Alaskan brush hunter (or whatever they call it) in 375 ruger. I have a few 375HHs but Ive been curious about the 375ruger and didnt want to break the bank.

Me too! I'm thinking exactly like you. For the price,why not? Have some fun,and learn a bit. And if you don't like it,sell it. And you won't loose your @$$ doing it. please update me on the Savage brush gun. 20 inch barrel must roar And spit a huge fireball.
Actually my 375 Ruger Guide Gun with the 20" with break doesn't throw a fireball. But sure cleans the spider webs from the rafters of the shooting range overhang. Shooting a handload 300gr. Nosler Accubond chronograph-ed at 2590fps out of a 20" barrel.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BigNasty
I have the Patriot 375 Ruger in the synthetic stock and Marinecote finish and when I got it I hoped for 2" groups well I was surprised by the fact that after bore sighting first shot was 8-9" high so I gave it a couple turns and the next 4shots fell under 1".
I only have 2 complaints.
The recoil pad on mine seemed to be different than others it was a hollow rubber shin about 1/8 thick with plastic ribs to keep it from collapsing which under recoil dug into my shoulder fixed that with a limb saver.
Then I ordered a spare magazine which when I tested it would throw the last round out of the action every time. So I opened both to see the difference the one that worked had about 1/3 the spring in it than the one that didn't, gave the second a little trim now its good.
Was planning to replace plastic stock but after getting several 3shot groups under a dime ill leave it alone.
The only other problem is that some people of upper class tend to dislike 375 Ruger then when they find out it's a Mossberg it's to much for them to handle and I get the cold shoulder.
So I figure their loss
Shawn

Thank you for the info! I am currently a 375H&H guy. Yeah, I'm proud of my lefty Win 70,but I think anybody of modest means like me,I'm a chef,shouldn't bad mouth the 375 Ruger. I have never owned or shot 1 but I will. How can you knock H&H like proformance in an affordable,smaller,and less expensive rifles. Anybody cold shouldering someone over this is a snob. Wonder if their 375s are Pre-War TRUE Holland and Holland or Rigby Mauser's? Probably not. I would love to have a real 416 Rigby,but money says 416 Rem. Hell,a buff,bear,or elephant ain't gonna know the difference. I am gonna pull the trigger on a Moss Patriot Synthetic w/black finish. My only gripe is ammo variety. But I handload anyway so its a moot point. Shoot away buddy.
Noticed you have a lefty. Here is a couple 375 Rugers in lefty.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html#category_2=FIREARMS%2FHUNTING%20RIFLES&caliber=375%20RUGER%C2%AE

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
B
B
If you are a hand loaded take a look at GS Custom 200HV a little pricey but they shoot well and give you same flight path as 300 wm with more energy. I'm currently 3213fps at the muzzle with no sign of pressure.
GS Custom recommended them for anything up to and including Cape Buffalo and I have talked to a PH who uses them in his 375 HH rental gun for buff. For practice I keep an eye on Midway they sale blemish bullets on occasion.
The 375 Ruger is here to stay and with good reason it brings a lot of power to the field in a rifle that costs less than a car.
Shawn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ClaysEtc - thanks for sharing your pix's. Now I can see what $317 will buy. Wonder what the final $$ tally will be i.e. trigger guard etc. plus labor will be. May have been wiser to invest in a higher quality rifle going in than to deal with your current situation. FWIW - this represents "cost engineering" at its worst. Let the end-user fix/replace what should have been provided by the manufacturer. Wonder if Boddington knew what was in his Mossberg .375 Ruger when he hunted with it?? Homesteader

Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Interesting gun, crazy low price for a big bore rifle like that. If nothing else it would be a fun way to blow through some 375 ruger ammo.

I recently got a weatherby vanguard 375HH for ~ 600 dollars, it's a hell of a shooter for the price, not as nice as my kimber talkeetna but probably 75% as nice for 33% of the cost.

I slapped a vx2 on the weatherby and it's a surprisingly fun rifle, much better than I was expecting.

I had the 375 H&H mag Vanguard 2 on backorder notice alert from Hinterland. Was I believe $638. Sold out in 2 days. I wasn't quick enough. Wonder did they get 4 rifles or several dozen? It has to be the hands down most affordable H&H going.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Homesteader,
I'm glad you found some value in the post and your correct in that smart money would buy a rifle that was ready to hunt with some personal adjustments.

I didn't buy this rifle to hunt, I just wanted a project to tinker with, getting it shooting OK and then give it to a young hunter or a group for a prize, my hunt has been over for a long time.

So far this rifle has worked just fine, I'v spent a lot of time at the work bench, loading bench and the range, I haven't given up yet but I may let it rest a while.

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Interesting gun, crazy low price for a big bore rifle like that. If nothing else it would be a fun way to blow through some 375 ruger ammo.

I recently got a weatherby vanguard 375HH for ~ 600 dollars, it's a hell of a shooter for the price, not as nice as my kimber talkeetna but probably 75% as nice for 33% of the cost.

I slapped a vx2 on the weatherby and it's a surprisingly fun rifle, much better than I was expecting.

I had the 375 H&H mag Vanguard 2 on backorder notice alert from Hinterland. Was I believe $638. Sold out in 2 days. I wasn't quick enough. Wonder did they get 4 rifles or several dozen? It has to be the hands down most affordable H&H going.

I actually havnt seen any since I got mine. I ordered it from Buds and near the time I ordered it, I saw one on gun broker but havnt seen any since. Im guessing they just didnt make very many and people snapped them up when they saw them, Ill say it again, Ive been very VERy impressed with the gun for the $$$.

Im guessing theres lots of people out there who would love a 375 or something like that but dont want to spend the big bucks on one because they know they likely wont use it all that muchso when they ee one for this sort of price they are all over it.

Last edited by AKPENDUDE; 05/20/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.