Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
With a 40 MOA cant on my scope and rings, my cheek weld sucks donkey balls....and my head is way high; almost off the stock.

What do you all use to deal with this?

Cheek rest? Hornady or something else? I'd rather not drill into my stalk, if possible.

TIA.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I tried a Bradley B.U.L. rest for a while. It stayed in place fine, I decided against it in the end but I wasn't too desparate. The main thing I didn't like was how far it kept my cheek off to the side, toward my body. I had to tilt my head even though the weld was good north south. I could have shaved some foam and made it work but I just didn't need it that bad anyway.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Check out karsten cheek pieces. They work well. I did not want to drill holes through my mcmillan stock, so after I found the correct height, I simply glued it in place with jb weld. Works great. Have them on 3 rifles.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I have Karsten on three rifles, I did drill the stocks for them.
On my winchester featherweight I put a stock pack on with a mouse pad underneath to get correct height for me

Big guns can be loaded down to little gun levels. Little guns are always little guns.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Plan accordingly and match the stock to the optical set up. Pithy I know, but I've found the approach to be effective

Last edited by rosco1; 06/18/17.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rosco1
Plan accordingly and match the stock to the optical set up. Pithy I know, but I've found the approach to be effective

At 6'6" that's not always an option. Karsten for this guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That didn't answer the question. Are you ever not a prick?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Don't recall ever talking to you sandbilly. What did I do to hurt your feelings?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't recall ever talking to you sandbilly. What did I do to hurt your feelings?

You can't hurt my feelings, but you should embarrass yourself. Not so sure you're smart enough, though.
Some people take longer to grow up than others....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

You can't hurt my feelings, but you should embarrass yourself. Not so sure you're smart enough, though.
Some people take longer to grow up than others....

Right.. did you get an adjustable comb on your new game scout?

Also, what other names did/do you post under? Butt hurt whiner

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am going through this as well. I currently have a cheap stock pack that has a small cheek raiser in it. I will be emailing/calling McMillian to see if they will put an adjustable cheek piece in my stock, since I live in Az and since it is one of their stocks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Firstcoues, I too am going down this road and I will be using the KMW hardware installed by stockdoc in my A5. The KMW stuff is similar to what McMillan uses but secures with an Allen bolt so nothing protrudes out of the side of the stock. Also the cheek riser rods have machined in grooves so once you get the cheek where you want it you install c-clips in the grooves. This way when you remove the cheek piece to clean the rifle it goes right back to where you previously had it.

Seems it will be money well spent in my book.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm putting my vote in on these. [Linked Image]
if any of you guys can find a better cheek rest ride the rainbow 🌈.
T 👍🏼. Just relax you motorboat SOB. Lol.

Last edited by fredIII; 06/23/17.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use the voodoo tactical cheek rest pad on several rifles. They work great for fixing too low combs. Planning ahead doesn't work if the stock you want doesn't exist, few sporter stocks exist that don't have some goofy grip or oversized forend and still have the right cheek height. The adjustable combs add too much weight with all the hardware. I also like the cushioning effect of the pads.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The KMW hardware is the best I've used with McMillan stocks. A stock pack like the one linked at Triad can also work pretty good. I don't care for McMillans adjustable system.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recently put a Tac Pro cheek rest on my benchrest rifle and it has worked really well. Although it has straps to secure the rest, they are only needed if you are using the rifle for hunting. The cheek rest works fine without them for benchrest work and it can be quickly removed for cleaning without having to readjust the rest.

My favorite cheek rest for hunting is a really cheap one made by Allen. If I don't need to increase height much, a piece of foam under the Allen rest may be all you need. I have used a couple of different ones, but the Allen works great and I really like the comfort of the material on the rest. I've tried several others and the Allen it is the most comfortable for me. I think I paid $8 for the last two I've bought.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston

Same here. I will try to post a pic later today. I like mine!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[[Linked Image]

[[Linked Image]

Pics of the Triad Tactical stock pouch. It raises the comb height between 1/4" and 1/2". Hope this helps.

Phil

Last edited by philgood80; 06/27/17.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.