Print Thread
Hop To
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I am going to buy my son a baitcasting reel, thinking about theAbu Garcia Revo. Is this a good baitcasting reel? What is the range of line weight on this reel?

While I am at Cabelas I will look at a LH baitcasting reel. I have used a RH baitcasting reel and it can work for me. But I will look at the left hand ones to see if I want to buy one. So what is the suggestion for a left hand baitcasting reel?

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Would a left hand reel be any different than a right hand, other than being a left?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What fish are you going to be targeting?

I don't know about the exact model you are looking at but we have a lot of left hand Abu Garcia's in our house from 5501 C3 and C4, 6501 C3, a couple of 6601 Record's (our favourites for salmon) and a couple of 7001 for big chinook and saltwater. They all work but the more refined C4 and even better the Record are very nice. Avoid the Chinese made lower priced ones and get the Swedish made reels since they are better quality.

Last edited by gerry35; 04/15/17.

Gerry.
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Sorry for not indicating what fish I am targeting. Around here we usually go for Bass and Crappie. West of us in the Blue Ridge there are trout streams but have not tried that.

Stopped at Cabelas to look at their baitcast reels and their sale models were out. I am a left hander and I have several reels that are left hand crank model and thought I'd try out the right hand cranks since I am a true lefty. Years ago when I was a kid we got what we could and I have stuck with that. And actually my son just about every day after school, him and his buddies run to the local lakes and bass fish for a couple hours and may buy him a new baiscast reel for his B-day. Its been years since I bought any fishing reels but since someone mention...buy one that is Finland made and I found some are Finland Engineered. I have bought crap reels from Dicks that could be used as boat anchors!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am right-handed but only use left-handed bait casting reels. It has never made any sense to me to have to cast with one hand then switch to the other to retrieve it. Every other reel made is not that way so why should bait-casters be different...

Shimano reels are very hard to beat for any freshwater fish in my opinion. In fact, I have 12 different sizes of rods with differing sizes of the Shimano Curado on them.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by htredneck
I am right-handed but only use left-handed bait casting reels. It has never made any sense to me to have to cast with one hand then switch to the other to retrieve it. Every other reel made is not that way so why should bait-casters be different...

Shimano reels are very hard to beat for any freshwater fish in my opinion. In fact, I have 12 different sizes of rods with differing sizes of the Shimano Curado on them.

+10 Nailed it!

Semper Fi

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another right handed fisherman here,that uses left handed reels. I don't know any left handed people who use left handed reels. Mine are mostly Calcuttas, with my favourite being a Calcutta DC TE.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by htredneck

Toss with the right, crank with the left.

I just purchased a Daiwa fuego Ct100. Put 20lb fluro on it for stripers. So far I'm impressed with the reel. First Daiwa I have owned in 35 years.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DAIW...G1feWxdMCFdaNfgod06ILXw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.