Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Steve Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Winter was long and Spring has been wet. This is the first weekend without rain for both days since September. Reports are that lots of keeps have lost many hives over the Winter. Glad that I got my two to make it. Went into the hives about 2 weeks ago. Little capped brood but eggs. Put some 60% feed on them. One hive took it up. The other was not that interested.

Today several frames of capped brood and various stages of larva. Some drone come. Few frames of capped honey a couple more with wet nectar. Lots of pollen being brought in.

I overwintered in a deep and an medium each. Both queens are laying in both. I needed to add a fresh deep of foundation. Didn't want break up the brood cluster, so put it on the bottom in the hope they'll draw it out. Added some honey frames to the new box and moved this new ones into the side of the old deep. Thinking of putting an excluder in between old deep and the medium to keep her out of there and let the brood hatch. By then the new deep should be started to be drawn. And I can reverse the deeps. Like try to keep honey that I might want harvest in mediums and brood in deeps.

Big leaf maple is coming on strong and fruit trees a staring to bloom. Weather has everything blooming together.

Hoping the blackberry and snow berry are good this year. With all the moisture they should be.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I overwintered one hive and lost one last fall(a new one that was still weak) to wax worms. The one made it through the winter fine, but the queen seem to be not laying very much. there was a peanut shaped cell, so I put an excluder to keep the queen from killing it. Haven't checked back as of yet. I did get a bunch of bees out of an old recliner a half mile away. Must have gotten the queen because they stayed with me. I also got lots of brood. I put some of the brood in the hive that the queen was failing in. I am new to this, but trying hard. I have seen no small hive beetles this spring. Maybe my efforts to rid myself of them has worked. I also have two moth traps out that have caught lots of moths since I found out about them. Not all are wax moths, I am sure, sine they are of different sizes. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 69 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.