"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
BP-B6

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Fotis
[Linked Image]

BTW as of 2017 all bees are guaranteed to shoot moa or less.......not just the range certified ones!

Good!!! thats always bothered me. Buy our 2500 dollar rifle!!! pay an extra 500 dollars and we will make sure its actually accurate....

I try not to bitch too much about companies practices and have no problem spending my money elsewhere but that thing with weatherby ha always rubbed me the wrong way. Another one that always bugged me is Bowen classic arms....pay 1800 for a conversion but we're going to charge you for the ammo we use to make sure we did our work right.....I mean dosent 1800 bucks include the cost of you verifying your work???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Mark V Ultralight in 6.5-300 a week or two ago. I took it to the range to zero the scope and it shot .800"-1.00" with the factory ammo I had brought along. It was a windy day, and I was just trying to get the scope more or less dialed in before I work up a handload, so no particular care was taken to get good groups. I think it has some potential.

FWIW, I heard that all Mark V production has been moved back to Weatherby headquarters in Paso Robles. I will say that the level of fit and finish on my sample is excellent for a production rifle.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6.5-300! I want one of those.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love mine

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
6.5-300! I want one of those.

Yeah, I love everything it stands for. Complete, utter performance, burned out barrels and efficiency be damned!! Like a Ferrari! Sort of the anti-Creedmore.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had one that would not shoot. Most consistently accurate rifles I've ever owned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have owned and or used more Weatherby's than I can recall in Weatherby chamberings but never once, saw one that did not perk with handloads.

I have seen one in .338 that I am still working with but that is because I want averages under MOA or it does not stay in the rack.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ChetAF
I bought a Mark V Ultralight in 6.5-300 a week or two ago. I took it to the range to zero the scope and it shot .800"-1.00" with the factory ammo I had brought along. It was a windy day, and I was just trying to get the scope more or less dialed in before I work up a handload, so no particular care was taken to get good groups. I think it has some potential.

FWIW, I heard that all Mark V production has been moved back to Weatherby headquarters in Paso Robles. I will say that the level of fit and finish on my sample is excellent for a production rifle.

That sounds like a ripper Chet. How's the rifle set up? What's it weigh?

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a SWFA tactical scope on it now for load development, but I will go with something lighter for hunting.

The rifle weighs 7 pounds on it's own. It should weigh about 8 pounds scoped in hunting trim. I think it will make a nice mule deer/sheep/goat/antelope rifle.

Chet

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Chet and Fotis--how is the kick on that 6.5-300 in the Ultralight?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
to me? maybe like a 7mm rem mag

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree. About like a 7mm Mag.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a MKV .280 Remington that shot very well. I kick myself for selling it. Stainless with the 6 lug action. It shot Hornady Light Magnum(pre Superperformace) which had the 139 grain BTSP innerlock at 3100 fps. It consistently shot 3 holes touching with that load. Certainly as good or better than any rifle I have ever had including several customs. I liked the bolt lift etc. Decent trigger as well. As many things on this forum.....many turn there nose up at Weatherby. Fascinating bunch of folks here. Like I said earlier should have never let it go. I think that version had a kreiger criterion barrel. I can't speak for any oaths but that was a keeper.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by goodshot
I had a MKV .280 Remington that shot very well. I kick myself for selling it. Stainless with the 6 lug action. It shot Hornady Light Magnum(pre Superperformace) which had the 139 grain BTSP innerlock at 3100 fps. It consistently shot 3 holes touching with that load. Certainly as good or better than any rifle I have ever had including several customs. I liked the bolt lift etc. Decent trigger as well. As many things on this forum.....many turn there nose up at Weatherby. Fascinating bunch of folks here. Like I said earlier should have never let it go. I think that version had a kreiger criterion barrel. I can't speak for any oaths but that was a keeper.

Yeah many bring out decades old tales of woe and cite the same tired examples when it comes to their experience with a Weatherby, I lost count of how many i had/have and only 2 had to be sent back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yeah many bring out decades old tales of woe and cite the same tired examples when it comes to their experience with a Weatherby, I lost count of how many i had/have and only 2 had to be sent back.

I think this must be basic human nature. My Dad is still convinced all Toyota cars are terrible because he rented one on a business trip in the '70's and it had a problem with the windshield wipers.

Many guys have similar opinions of rifles based on products built 40+ years ago.

Last edited by ChetAF; 04/17/17.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I think this must be basic human nature. My Dad is still convinced all Toyota cars are terrible because he rented one on a business trip in the '70's and it had a problem with the windshield wipers.

Many guys have similar opinions of rifles based on products built 40+ years ago.

I was given the family toyota corolla when I graduated HS in 1971. AT that time it was 3 years old and one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned. Rusted easily, starter fell out of it , transmission blew up. Fast Forward 15 years and they were of stellar quality

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a SWFA tactical scope on it now for load development, but I will go with something lighter for hunting.

The rifle weighs 7 pounds on it's own. It should weigh about 8 pounds scoped in hunting trim. I think it will make a nice mule deer/sheep/goat/antelope rifle.

Chet

That isn't too danged bad at all for that sorta Horsepower.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Weatherby Mark V would bey next to last pick for accuracy..right above Kimber...

Bad luck? I've had 6. Have shot a couple dozen or more. haven't seen one that wasn't accurate.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I guess I've been lucky too. I've owned three, still own one and wish I'd never sold the other two - an Ultra Lightweight and an Accumark, both in 7mm Wby. The Accumark would shoot one really tiny hole with almost any load and the ultralight would break 3/4" with a number of handloads. Letting it cool down between shots finally got to me and I thought the Accumark was too heavy for my style of hunting. I found the action on all of these Mark V rifles to be very smooth and incredibly robust.

I currently own a newer ultralight in .257 Wby and it too is superbly accurate, especially for a lighter rifle. The barrel seems to heat up more slowly than the 7mm did and makes load development a lot more fun. I shoot Weatherby factory loads to fire form brass and have found them to be fast and very accurate. Several handloads average around .6" and easily hit factory velocities over my chrono. The newer stock is much improved over the older Ultra Lightweight and Accumark. All of my Mark Vs have been American made but I'd have no problem with owning a Japanese or German made rifle. The company itself, seems to be a great organization, still being run by the Weatherby family.

Speaking of stocks, I wasn't initially a big fan of the Weatherby Monte Carlo style stock. After shooting the rifles and understanding the reasons behind the design, I'm going to say ol' Roy got it right. Puts your eye where it belongs on a scoped rifle and the shape of the comb does a lot to mitigate recoil, directing it away from your face. Even the 7mm lightweight was very pleasant to shoot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
793 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,189 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.