Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Naw. The perfect 10 is the old 1006 Smith. Very accurate, soft shooting, built from the ground up as a 10mm, not a .45 ACP. Will handle anything, even lead semi wadcutters. E

Your right. I have a S&W 1006. Love it. But the Delta spends a lot more time on my hip than the S&W.

The Delta is a fine looking pistol Gibby, no doubt!

Yes, when your around other knowledgeable gun enthusiasts, they always comment how they admire the Delta Elite. With the 1006, they ask-"you want to sell that gun to me?" . Everybody that owns one, keeps them. Don't see too many for sell, except in estate sales. At least around here.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
See a few old Smith semi-autos pretty frequently in my pawn shop hops down here. Saw a very nice 3913 the other day for $400.

Every now and then will see a .45 ACP version. Have not to my recollection ever seen a 1006 in the case.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Gunner500
I realize you said you wanted a 1911/2011, but have you looked at the EAA Witness line of 10mm pistols? They might be worth a look.

+1

10-4, someone here offered to sell me a Witness sometime back, IIRC it was MadMooner or Bearcat, guess I'm too damn traditional in the looks department.

The Witness is a CZ75 type frame. I like it. Mine is reliable and accurate.
But I do understand about the 1911 style thing.
Had I been rich, I'd have bought the Dan Wesson.

Last edited by Wyogal; 04/22/17.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have thought about that too, will need to throw up a couple pistols with a Bar-sto sight to see if they come to my eye as quick as a Novak or Heinie style.

BoMar...BarSto is the barrel maker...

BoMar is out of business but there are lots of companies making clones...

Bpb

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RJM
Have thought about that too, will need to throw up a couple pistols with a Bar-sto sight to see if they come to my eye as quick as a Novak or Heinie style.

BoMar...BarSto is the barrel maker...

BoMar is out of business but there are lots of companies making clones...

Bpb

UGG, Thanks, that's why a pistol greenhorn like me comes here asking questions, too easy for me to get component manufacturers mixed up. smile

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LD and Gibby, if the old Smiths had more capacity they could always have a spot in the safe made for them as well.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Gunner500
I realize you said you wanted a 1911/2011, but have you looked at the EAA Witness line of 10mm pistols? They might be worth a look.

+1

10-4, someone here offered to sell me a Witness sometime back, IIRC it was MadMooner or Bearcat, guess I'm too damn traditional in the looks department.

The DW Valor is biting hard right now Wyogal, and it's available, one could be on this farm blowing powder smoke this Tuesday. cry

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Gunner500

+1

The DW Valor is biting hard right now Wyogal, and it's available, one could be on this farm blowing powder smoke this Tuesday. cry

What about the DW titan?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Colt is nice, but lacking many things I'd like to have for on a carry 10mm pistol.

Oheremicus, a lot of truth in that, have heard the old Smith's were built like a tank, remember seeing one in the classifieds here that sold for a little over 600 bucks.

Other than the perceived need by some for a ramped barrel, what does a new delta lack?

Last edited by K1500; 04/22/17.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by K1500
The Colt is nice, but lacking many things I'd like to have for on a carry 10mm pistol.

Oheremicus, a lot of truth in that, have heard the old Smith's were built like a tank, remember seeing one in the classifieds here that sold for a little over 600 bucks.

Other than the perceived need by some for a ramped barrel, what does a new delta lack?

Funny you mentioned the perceived need for a ramped barrel. While I was waiting to get my Delta years back, I heard about the Colts not having good support for the 10mm case. I bought a Redding push through sizing die to remove the smiley in the fired round. I have shot thousands of hot rounds using Starline brass through the Delta. Never had to use the Redding die. Keep it at or under SAAMI and there will be no problem.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's why I used the word perceived. I don't think they need a ramped barrel unless you want to go well above book max, and the current delta comes with Novaks, a beavertail, extended thumb safety, dual recoil spring setup, and even comes in a rail version if that tickles your fancy. They look pretty good to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you consider the Delta, then how about the Sig 10?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That's why I used the word perceived. I don't think they need a ramped barrel unless you want to go well above book max, and the current delta comes with Novaks, a beavertail, extended thumb safety, dual recoil spring setup, and even comes in a rail version if that tickles your fancy. They look pretty good to me.

There's no denying that a stock Delta simply will not handle hot loads as well as other better set up 10mm, whether 1911, Glock, or Witness. It's more than just "perceived", if you've shot many full power 10mm loads through them.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I saw that and even conducted a bit of experimentation here, 10mm ammo will load and function just fine in 1911 45 ACP mags.

A Para P14 or P16 could make a fine conversion, would have to research the Para brand for quality, [metallurgical makeup] toughness, accuracy and reliability.

The P16 will run 10mm pretty well, for a while. In my experience the cast slides and frames don't stand up well to a steady diet of hot 10mm long term, but are fine if you're using mostly moderate loads and occasional heavy loads.

For a handloader's-only proposition, you can also achieve the same goal with the stock .40 barrel throated long, to seat bullets out to 10mm OAL. That only works for heavier bullets though, 180gr and up.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
WTH, The Titan has a rail, don't need it in a 1911 carry piece.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Double stack
Checkering front and rear
Night Sights
And 86 the plastic parts.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
If you consider the Delta, then how about the Sig 10?

Sig 1911 10mm wears a big rail too, were I to go single stack, it'd be a DW Valor bar none.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Yondering

There's no denying that a stock Delta simply will not handle hot loads as well as other better set up 10mm, whether 1911, Glock, or Witness. It's more than just "perceived", if you've shot many full power 10mm loads through them.

Yup, and since I shoot 200 grain bullets at 1050 fps in my Sig P226 40, a 10mm owned by me will be ran full throttle.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I saw that and even conducted a bit of experimentation here, 10mm ammo will load and function just fine in 1911 45 ACP mags.

A Para P14 or P16 could make a fine conversion, would have to research the Para brand for quality, [metallurgical makeup] toughness, accuracy and reliability.

The P16 will run 10mm pretty well, for a while. In my experience the cast slides and frames don't stand up well to a steady diet of hot 10mm long term, but are fine if you're using mostly moderate loads and occasional heavy loads.

For a handloader's-only proposition, you can also achieve the same goal with the stock .40 barrel throated long, to seat bullets out to 10mm OAL. That only works for heavier bullets though, 180gr and up.

[Linked Image]

Agreed, forged is where I need to stay with a good 1911 10mm, what's the saying, buy once, cry once, may as well go durable.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Yup, and since I shoot 200 grain bullets at 1050 fps in my Sig P226 40, a 10mm owned by me will be ran full throttle.

gunner, I'd be appalled at anything less. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,141
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.