Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I cannot find my perfect production 10mm pistol, looks like I may have to go custom, tried really hard to avoid the wait.

Trump Won!
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I need to get to a range with a Glock long slide. The Kimber 10mm is a pretty nice production gun. If it were only a pre Schwartz style safety. I'd like to get my hands on a Dan Wesson (CZ)1911 10mm.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 04/18/17.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 AO, I've looked over those you mentioned as well.

I need:

2011/1911 platform
Ramped barrel
Double stack
5" or Commander length
No ambi
Novak or Heinie style adjustable night sights
Rear serrations only
Flat checkered mainspring housing
Checkered front strap
Extended beavertail grip
NO full dust cover or rail needed

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Pretty happy with my glock 20.

I changed the barrel and put better sights on it. I absolutely love it andnwill probably get a 2nd one.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have heard a lot of good about the Glock 10's APD, I have a P226 in 40 for my composite carry piece, damn near let a salesman Bud of mine talk me into a RIA 10mm this afternoon ;]

It's got nearly everything I'm looking for save a good rear adjustable night sight, plus the magwell needs trimming down a little for a CCW.

Am not convinced of reliability of the brand yet.

Trump Won!
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gunner,

I carried S&W, Colt and Para Ordnance on duty before I got my hands on a Glock 20. I still have that same Gen 2 Glock 20. I also have a Glock 40 that has a Bar-Sto gunsmith-fitted barrel in it. Between the two of them, the only time there is a malfunction is a misfire due to substandard ammunition. Right now, chambered and in the mag I carry Underwood Extreme Defenders (15 gr @ 1700 fps), and have two mags full of Underwood Extreme Penetrators (140 gr @ 1500). I keep them slung on an old gun belt by my bed.

One penetration test Underwood performed with the Extreme Penetrators had the bullet penetrate two, 1" thick panes of bullet resistant glass, 4 gallon jugs full of water and it left a pocket in the concrete wall that stopped it.

Turds more and more are picking up bullet resistant vests. The vest would stop the Defenders. I don't believe it would stop the Penetrators.

Or, at home, I could just use my AR-10 with specific projectiles to minimize the over penetration.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gunner500
I realize you said you wanted a 1911/2011, but have you looked at the EAA Witness line of 10mm pistols? They might be worth a look.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the double stack thing is indeed hard to find for a 10mm 1911. I would go G40 before I got a RIA, but I generally avoid products you read about where fluff and buff or flying front sights or self destructed stuff is posted.... I surely hate the glock triggers for target work and I have tried a lot of replacement triggers that did not help that much, but the damn things work all the time. If glock made a G40 with a 1911 trigger in it and an external swipe down safety I would be standing in line to get it, hang the price.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Gunner500
I realize you said you wanted a 1911/2011, but have you looked at the EAA Witness line of 10mm pistols? They might be worth a look.

+1

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For a commercial gun this is about the closest there is...

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-ultra-fs-hc-10mm/

I have one just like it single-stack and was shooting it Monday...palm size group at 23 yards with 1250 fps loads...is every bit as accurate as the 10s I have costing twice as much... I don't care for the safety but that is easily replaced...

But if you have to have everything on you list custom is he way to go... Just wondering why a double-stack...going to be heavy with 16 rounds on board....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Have heard a lot of good about the Glock 10's APD, I have a P226 in 40 for my composite carry piece, damn near let a salesman Bud of mine talk me into a RIA 10mm this afternoon ;]

It's got nearly everything I'm looking for save a good rear adjustable night sight, plus the magwell needs trimming down a little for a CCW.

Am not convinced of reliability of the brand yet.
Scott carries his every day, the last I knew. Calls it "Old Chocolate" because Bricktop kept knocking it saying they were made of soft steel-which I think has been disproven. His is a .45.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the RIA's in 9mm/.22 TCM, and it seems to be well made. The .22 TCM has plenty of quirks, but that's a different story smile

As far as a double stack 1911 in 10mm, that's a tough one as STI does not list 10mm as an option in their double stacks. Caspian does sell DS receivers, including titanium:

https://www.caspianarms.com/product-category/double-stack

and you could do cool things like get a Damascus slide for it smile But there will be lead time to obtain the parts and get them fitted.

In single stack 10mm 1911's today, I'd take a hard look at Dan Wesson's Silverback series. If money is no object Nighthawk makes some wonderful 10mm's. Colt is offering Delta Elites now with frame rails, but AFAIK they don't have fully supported barrels, which limits how heavy you can load.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I notice there is now a company making double stack 1911's in Texas:

www.triarcsystems.com

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The primary limiting factor to the breech pressure attained in the 10mm is not the standard (i.e., unramped) barrel, but rather the case construction.

Remember that the 9x23 Win (55K PSI) was successfully produced in the standard Colt 1911 GM without a ramped barrel. No blowups as far as I know, but a suitably constructed case.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 04/20/17.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I notice there is now a company making double stack 1911's in Texas:

www.triarcsystems.com

I met the owner of Triarc a few weeks ago. He seemed like the real deal. I looked their ARs over and talked to the guys who run them hard and they're GTG.

But building an AR is a far cry from getting a 2011 to run right. I hope they've worked the bugs out ahead of time. It's easy to get a bad name from first impressions.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
does the Rock Island 10 mm have a fully supported chamber? If you want to roll the dice $1300 dollars for this...... 17 rounds

I would have to get rid of the funkass fiber optic front sight and put something with sharp edges in there.

review of the gun

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Dan Wesson Valor 10mm is what I'd buy. It doesn't quite meet your requirements, no ramp or double stack, but they're as nice as a production pistol can get. I have a Valor Commander in 45 ACP and it's one fine pistol.

Last edited by 257Deland; 04/20/17.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The RIA is ramped....

The FO front sight works well for "old eyes"... One day I would like to change it out for the TruGlo TFX...

If anyone is looking for a long slide 10mm, Kittery Trading Post, Kittery, Maine has five Remington Hunters...they were demo guns...LNIB for $895.00... Going price is about $1050.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Gunner,

I carried S&W, Colt and Para Ordnance on duty before I got my hands on a Glock 20. I still have that same Gen 2 Glock 20. I also have a Glock 40 that has a Bar-Sto gunsmith-fitted barrel in it. Between the two of them, the only time there is a malfunction is a misfire due to substandard ammunition. Right now, chambered and in the mag I carry Underwood Extreme Defenders (15 gr @ 1700 fps), and have two mags full of Underwood Extreme Penetrators (140 gr @ 1500). I keep them slung on an old gun belt by my bed.

One penetration test Underwood performed with the Extreme Penetrators had the bullet penetrate two, 1" thick panes of bullet resistant glass, 4 gallon jugs full of water and it left a pocket in the concrete wall that stopped it.

Turds more and more are picking up bullet resistant vests. The vest would stop the Defenders. I don't believe it would stop the Penetrators.

Or, at home, I could just use my AR-10 with specific projectiles to minimize the over penetration.

MD, yes, with that ammo you'll have to politely request that the crackhead move over in front of that bulldozer please! smile

I've thought alot about the Glock-Bar-Sto/Lone Wolf pairings.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Gunner500

+1

10-4, someone here offered to sell me a Witness sometime back, IIRC it was MadMooner or Bearcat, guess I'm too damn traditional in the looks department.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the double stack thing is indeed hard to find for a 10mm 1911. I would go G40 before I got a RIA, but I generally avoid products you read about where fluff and buff or flying front sights or self destructed stuff is posted.... I surely hate the glock triggers for target work and I have tried a lot of replacement triggers that did not help that much, but the damn things work all the time. If glock made a G40 with a 1911 trigger in it and an external swipe down safety I would be standing in line to get it, hang the price.

Thanks Jimmy, a Glock so rigged would be a very worthy improvement.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RJM
For a commercial gun this is about the closest there is...

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-series/rock-ultra-fs-hc-10mm/

I have one just like it single-stack and was shooting it Monday...palm size group at 23 yards with 1250 fps loads...is every bit as accurate as the 10s I have costing twice as much... I don't care for the safety but that is easily replaced...

But if you have to have everything on you list custom is he way to go... Just wondering why a double-stack...going to be heavy with 16 rounds on board....

Bob

I'm telling ya Bob, I nearly reached around for my wallet the other day, Bud said 7 bills out the door and he'd throw in a box of 180 gr 10mm FMJ ammo.

Weight on a carry piece never bothered me any, I forget they are there at times.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL EE, gun Bud had a 45 there too, I didn't bother to look at it, have had some kind of 10mm bug for awhile now.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have one of the RIA's in 9mm/.22 TCM, and it seems to be well made. The .22 TCM has plenty of quirks, but that's a different story smile

As far as a double stack 1911 in 10mm, that's a tough one as STI does not list 10mm as an option in their double stacks. Caspian does sell DS receivers, including titanium:

https://www.caspianarms.com/product-category/double-stack

and you could do cool things like get a Damascus slide for it smile But there will be lead time to obtain the parts and get them fitted.

In single stack 10mm 1911's today, I'd take a hard look at Dan Wesson's Silverback series. If money is no object Nighthawk makes some wonderful 10mm's. Colt is offering Delta Elites now with frame rails, but AFAIK they don't have fully supported barrels, which limits how heavy you can load.

Gotta stay with the Novak style rear sight Tex, that beautiful Silverback is Bar-Sto.

The DW Valor makes me weak in the knees, if I decide not to spend the money for a custom built double stack, I'll buy a Valor and call it REAL GOOD! smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
The primary limiting factor to the breech pressure attained in the 10mm is not the standard (i.e., unramped) barrel, but rather the case construction.

Remember that the 9x23 Win (55K PSI) was successfully produced in the standard Colt 1911 GM without a ramped barrel. No blowups as far as I know, but a suitably constructed case.

Yes, my investigating says Winchester brass is the strongest, though hard to find, sane loads in a ramped barrel should prove Starline to be just fine too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 257Deland
A Dan Wesson Valor 10mm is what I'd buy. It doesn't quite meet your requirements, no ramp or double stack, but they're as nice as a production pistol can get. I have a Valor Commander in 45 ACP and it's one fine pistol.

IIRC the Valor in 10mm is ramped, though not needed in standard 45 ACP loads, love the Valor.

Trump Won!
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The perfect 10mm is a Colt Delta Elite O2020XE and a dollop of patience. Fire the pistol as is, and if there's any chamber/ramp related issues (which I doubt) order a custom ramped barrel and have it installed. Any other tweaks can also be done at that time.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Naw. The perfect 10 is the old 1006 Smith. Very accurate, soft shooting, built from the ground up as a 10mm, not a .45 ACP. Will handle anything, even lead semi wadcutters. E

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The Colt is nice, but lacking many things I'd like to have for on a carry 10mm pistol.

Oheremicus, a lot of truth in that, have heard the old Smith's were built like a tank, remember seeing one in the classifieds here that sold for a little over 600 bucks.

Trump Won!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Did you see the double stack PARA 10/.40 that Ed posted over on my thread about the 4-caliber Kimber...looks like just what you want...

Bob

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I saw that and even conducted a bit of experimentation here, 10mm ammo will load and function just fine in 1911 45 ACP mags.

A Para P14 or P16 could make a fine conversion, would have to research the Para brand for quality, [metallurgical makeup] toughness, accuracy and reliability.

Also have my 'Smith working me up a price for a custom build on an STI double stack lower.

Last edited by gunner500; 04/21/17.

Trump Won!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
PARA, as you probably know, has been absorbed by Freedom Group and is now manufactured in the Remington 1911 factory.

Put a 10mm barrel in this and you are ready to go..

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/competition/custom1640.php

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Naw. The perfect 10 is the old 1006 Smith. Very accurate, soft shooting, built from the ground up as a 10mm, not a .45 ACP. Will handle anything, even lead semi wadcutters. E

Your right. I have a S&W 1006. Love it. But the Delta spends a lot more time on my hip than the S&W.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RJM
PARA, as you probably know, has been absorbed by Freedom Group and is now manufactured in the Remington 1911 factory.

Put a 10mm barrel in this and you are ready to go..

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/competition/custom1640.php

That one's awful close Bob, gotta go Novak sights for a carry gun, was hung up in a tight spot once for several hours, a Bar-Sto sight nearly gnawed a damn hole in my ribs. mad ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Gibby

Your right. I have a S&W 1006. Love it. But the Delta spends a lot more time on my hip than the S&W.

The Delta is a fine looking pistol Gibby, no doubt!

Trump Won!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...just round off the rear blade...that is what I hand my smith do to my two...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have thought about that too, will need to throw up a couple pistols with a Bar-sto sight to see if they come to my eye as quick as a Novak or Heinie style.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned a load of 10mm's and Oheremicus is right, the 1006 is the best.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've owned a load of 10mm's and Oheremicus is right, the 1006 is the best.

Bet it's the toughest across the board, have heard they shoot with good accuracy and impeccable reliability.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

Yes, my investigating says Winchester brass is the strongest, though hard to find, sane loads in a ramped barrel should prove Starline to be just fine too.

Meant non-ramped barrel with Starline brass in the Colt.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gibby

The Delta is a fine looking pistol Gibby, no doubt!

Yes, when your around other knowledgeable gun enthusiasts, they always comment how they admire the Delta Elite. With the 1006, they ask-"you want to sell that gun to me?" . Everybody that owns one, keeps them. Don't see too many for sell, except in estate sales. At least around here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
See a few old Smith semi-autos pretty frequently in my pawn shop hops down here. Saw a very nice 3913 the other day for $400.

Every now and then will see a .45 ACP version. Have not to my recollection ever seen a 1006 in the case.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Gunner500

+1

10-4, someone here offered to sell me a Witness sometime back, IIRC it was MadMooner or Bearcat, guess I'm too damn traditional in the looks department.

The Witness is a CZ75 type frame. I like it. Mine is reliable and accurate.
But I do understand about the 1911 style thing.
Had I been rich, I'd have bought the Dan Wesson.

Last edited by Wyogal; 04/22/17.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have thought about that too, will need to throw up a couple pistols with a Bar-sto sight to see if they come to my eye as quick as a Novak or Heinie style.

BoMar...BarSto is the barrel maker...

BoMar is out of business but there are lots of companies making clones...

Bpb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RJM

BoMar...BarSto is the barrel maker...

BoMar is out of business but there are lots of companies making clones...

Bpb

UGG, Thanks, that's why a pistol greenhorn like me comes here asking questions, too easy for me to get component manufacturers mixed up. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LD and Gibby, if the old Smiths had more capacity they could always have a spot in the safe made for them as well.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Gunner500

+1

The DW Valor is biting hard right now Wyogal, and it's available, one could be on this farm blowing powder smoke this Tuesday. cry

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Gunner500

+1

The DW Valor is biting hard right now Wyogal, and it's available, one could be on this farm blowing powder smoke this Tuesday. cry

What about the DW titan?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Colt is nice, but lacking many things I'd like to have for on a carry 10mm pistol.

Oheremicus, a lot of truth in that, have heard the old Smith's were built like a tank, remember seeing one in the classifieds here that sold for a little over 600 bucks.

Other than the perceived need by some for a ramped barrel, what does a new delta lack?

Last edited by K1500; 04/22/17.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by K1500

Other than the perceived need by some for a ramped barrel, what does a new delta lack?

Funny you mentioned the perceived need for a ramped barrel. While I was waiting to get my Delta years back, I heard about the Colts not having good support for the 10mm case. I bought a Redding push through sizing die to remove the smiley in the fired round. I have shot thousands of hot rounds using Starline brass through the Delta. Never had to use the Redding die. Keep it at or under SAAMI and there will be no problem.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's why I used the word perceived. I don't think they need a ramped barrel unless you want to go well above book max, and the current delta comes with Novaks, a beavertail, extended thumb safety, dual recoil spring setup, and even comes in a rail version if that tickles your fancy. They look pretty good to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you consider the Delta, then how about the Sig 10?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That's why I used the word perceived. I don't think they need a ramped barrel unless you want to go well above book max, and the current delta comes with Novaks, a beavertail, extended thumb safety, dual recoil spring setup, and even comes in a rail version if that tickles your fancy. They look pretty good to me.

There's no denying that a stock Delta simply will not handle hot loads as well as other better set up 10mm, whether 1911, Glock, or Witness. It's more than just "perceived", if you've shot many full power 10mm loads through them.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I saw that and even conducted a bit of experimentation here, 10mm ammo will load and function just fine in 1911 45 ACP mags.

A Para P14 or P16 could make a fine conversion, would have to research the Para brand for quality, [metallurgical makeup] toughness, accuracy and reliability.

The P16 will run 10mm pretty well, for a while. In my experience the cast slides and frames don't stand up well to a steady diet of hot 10mm long term, but are fine if you're using mostly moderate loads and occasional heavy loads.

For a handloader's-only proposition, you can also achieve the same goal with the stock .40 barrel throated long, to seat bullets out to 10mm OAL. That only works for heavier bullets though, 180gr and up.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
WTH, The Titan has a rail, don't need it in a 1911 carry piece.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Double stack
Checkering front and rear
Night Sights
And 86 the plastic parts.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
If you consider the Delta, then how about the Sig 10?

Sig 1911 10mm wears a big rail too, were I to go single stack, it'd be a DW Valor bar none.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Yondering

There's no denying that a stock Delta simply will not handle hot loads as well as other better set up 10mm, whether 1911, Glock, or Witness. It's more than just "perceived", if you've shot many full power 10mm loads through them.

Yup, and since I shoot 200 grain bullets at 1050 fps in my Sig P226 40, a 10mm owned by me will be ran full throttle.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

The P16 will run 10mm pretty well, for a while. In my experience the cast slides and frames don't stand up well to a steady diet of hot 10mm long term, but are fine if you're using mostly moderate loads and occasional heavy loads.

For a handloader's-only proposition, you can also achieve the same goal with the stock .40 barrel throated long, to seat bullets out to 10mm OAL. That only works for heavier bullets though, 180gr and up.

[Linked Image]

Agreed, forged is where I need to stay with a good 1911 10mm, what's the saying, buy once, cry once, may as well go durable.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Yup, and since I shoot 200 grain bullets at 1050 fps in my Sig P226 40, a 10mm owned by me will be ran full throttle.

gunner, I'd be appalled at anything less. grin

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After shooting my glock and ria I felt like I won the lottery by not blowing up the colt. That fugger smiled like a 90's graduate holding Jennifer Anniston's panties.

The glock needed a barrel and springs, the ria a fps and springs, the colt a fps,springs and a barrel. I sold the colt because by the time I get it to hang with the others, it wouldn't be a colt anymore.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

That is my thinking as well. If I'm not going to run the 10mm at full power, I'll just use .40 instead. On the same line of thinking, I've trended towards longer barrels in my 10's as well. I've mostly settled on a 200gr @ 1325 fps as a do-all round in my long slide, seems to do pretty well and still easy to shoot. (That's a Glock though, my 1911 and Witness 10mm pistols are all gone now.)

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yondering-

You need to get yourself a Coonan Classic and have fun with it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Has anyone tried the 9 inch barrels, to check for velocity gains.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WTH, The Titan has a rail, don't need it in a 1911 carry piece.

Didn't notice that,and I agree.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
so you have the G40? I was wondering what kind of accuracy those pistols were able to achieve with hand loads. You don't hear about any problems with their strength or handling hot loads.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt

gunner, I'd be appalled at anything less. grin

Show-Nuff LD, gas on that fugger. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by high_country_
After shooting my glock and ria I felt like I won the lottery by not blowing up the colt. That fugger smiled like a 90's graduate holding Jennifer Anniston's panties.

The glock needed a barrel and springs, the ria a fps and springs, the colt a fps,springs and a barrel. I sold the colt because by the time I get it to hang with the others, it wouldn't be a colt anymore.

LOL, that's what I'm talking about right there, a cartridge as intense as the 10mm doesn't need to be ran in a questionably supported platform.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That is my thinking as well. If I'm not going to run the 10mm at full power, I'll just use .40 instead. On the same line of thinking, I've trended towards longer barrels in my 10's as well. I've mostly settled on a 200gr @ 1325 fps as a do-all round in my long slide, seems to do pretty well and still easy to shoot. (That's a Glock though, my 1911 and Witness 10mm pistols are all gone now.)

That'll work, 200 grs at 1250 would be fine with me in a good 5" 1911, should be plenty manageable as far as getting and keeping sights on target too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
so you have the G40? I was wondering what kind of accuracy those pistols were able to achieve with hand loads. You don't hear about any problems with their strength or handling hot loads.

There was a guy here that posted a video of himself capping a nice fat doe right quick last fall, IIRC it was the Glock Longslide 10mm with the red dot sight.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a lot of trouble being as accurate with my g20 as I do with 1911 platforms. I've tried every trigger and spring combo known, but it's just not easy for me to be accurate with that gun.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a lot of trouble being as accurate with my g20 as I do with 1911 platforms. I've tried every trigger and spring combo known, but it's just not easy for me to be accurate with that gun.

Agreed, and though I've had my share of balks with 1911's, nothing feels as good in hand or comes up to sight alignment as quickly, no better triggers I've ever felt on any semi auto.

Getting the damn things to go off without disturbing the sight hold is King.

Trump Won!
J
J
I had a delta and sold it. The felt recoil was bad. Really bad compared to my glock. I liked the pistol but it was a handful with moderate loads. The glock handles recoil a lot better.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Pretty honest findings.....did the same.....youre gonna get roasted for speaking that...

The Kimber Target i tripped the G40 in favor of is SOOOOOO much more accurate and a great move

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

No roasting from me. There's no avoiding the fact that even the best Glock trigger isn't as good as a decent 1911 trigger. On the other hand, if you practice good trigger control on a Glock, it makes a 1911 easy to shoot well! grin
Also, some of the Glock 10mm barrels I've had just aren't as accurate as I'd like, which is odd since my 9 and 45 barrels all shoot really well.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/24/17.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Agreed, and though I've had my share of balks with 1911's, nothing feels as good in hand or comes up to sight alignment as quickly, no better triggers I've ever felt on any semi auto.

Getting the damn things to go off without disturbing the sight hold is King.
This is where the new G40 Glock 10mm MOS shines. The longer barrel helps steady the hold and the trigger is better than my 20 out of the box. In the near future I will swap out the barrel and do some trigger work on it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What a cool forum. Wish I found this a decade ago. Biggamehunt.net and Primos chat and even glocktalk to some degree, have all gone downhill over the years.

As for the perfect 10. A post dear to my heart as I have yet to find it as well, and I have more than my share of 10mm's in the safe. I agree that a 2011 option would be a good start. And In my opinion only one manufacturer makes a quality 2011 frame for the 10. That's STI, though Dan Wesson has one too - just haven't had luck with them. STI has made several 10mm's over the years and most are discontinued. I'm pretty much in line with what you want, except for the ambi-safety. (I'm a lefty.)

So many manufacturers right now are making 6" 10mm's, which puts them in the hunting only category for me and a little more versatility would be great. Weight is a huge issue too, Sig's 10mm weighs more than some of my 44mags! The Glocks are great, and can be made super accurate, but they lack sex appeal.

Gunbroker has several STI 2011 Nitro's which are a good start.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hoping Springfield brings out the XDM 5.25 in 10mm. Lighter than the 1911s and CZ75 clones like the EAA Witness. Not ugly like the Glock. Pretty darn good trigger out of the box. Good adjustable sites.

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've tried Glocks - twice - and neither one was accurate enough to be interesting. A service pistol is one thing, but when the long barrel G34 arrived with a sloppy barrel I declined to replace it. They are light & reliable service pistols, but you can do better, IMO.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Give Uncle Ted a shout. He seems to have it down. grin

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Currently, and sadly, I don't have a custom 1911 in my stable for the first time in 25 years. A 1911 trigger, tuned by someone who knows what they are doing, beats the best striker fired trigger by a large amount. A tuned 1911 platform trigger is a pleasure to shoot...even in 10mm.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm going to bull [bleep] on a Glock handling recoil better than a full size 1911. Yes, I've shot both.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
...The Glocks are great, and can be made super accurate, but they lack sex appeal...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I'm going to bull [bleep] on a Glock handling recoil better than a full size 1911. Yes, I've shot both.

I beg to politely differ on that. I shoot both very regularly. The G20 definitely has less felt recoil than a 10mm 1911 using the same load. Ironically a fully loaded G20 weighs less than a fully loaded 1911 too. I think the reason the G20 has less felt recoil is because the grip is substantially wider than a 1911 - more surface area to spread the recoil force, the plastic frame flexes absorbing some energy, and the G20 has a slightly lower bore axis. Accuracy wise, they are both 1" at 10 yards. Against a plate rack (speed drills) the 1911 is faster for me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I own a Colt Delta Elite O2020XE and a Glock 20C. I'll take the Colt over the Glock any day of the week. In fact, the Glock will soon be looking for a new home.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I beg to politely differ on that. I shoot both very regularly. The G20 definitely has less felt recoil than a 10mm 1911 using the same load. Ironically a fully loaded G20 weighs less than a fully loaded 1911 too. I think the reason the G20 has less felt recoil is because the grip is substantially wider than a 1911 - more surface area to spread the recoil force, the plastic frame flexes absorbing some energy, and the G20 has a slightly lower bore axis. Accuracy wise, they are both 1" at 10 yards. Against a plate rack (speed drills) the 1911 is faster for me.

The polymer frame soaks up A LOT of recoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The width of the glock combined with the 800 rounds in the magazine help tame the sting. The 1911 is faster to RTZ for me, but the g20 has less felt recoil.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have had a couple 20's, I have tried ghost rocket, zev, lighter springs, polishing everything, and it remains difficult to achieve the accuracy that I can get with a simple 4 inch smith and Wesson 44 magnum. Good sights are important, but I wonder if the inherent accuracy of the Glocks from the factory is stellar, add the difficult to master trigger in to the mix and its a challenge for me to make hits at distance. The way the glock trigger breaks and slaps is the biggest problem for me.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for all the info, stories and experiences men, the 10mm on a 1911 platform will remain a royal PITA, to get the weapon I want, It'll have to be a custom 2011 build, I AM NOT paying $3500+ for a fuggin carry gun!

May as well look for a good DW single stack 10 and carry a few extra mags.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good on ya.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Late to the party but since I love the 10mm and have owned a boat load of the different iterations I figured I would chime in. I started with an original Colt Delta Elite and it shot OK and felt great in the hand and got me started down the 10mm road but then I bought a Glock 20 and sold the Colt in a fit of stupidity. I have had numerous Glock 20 and 29s and they were all sufficiently accurate and reliable but they are still Glocks. Not a bad thing but just not a 1911. I have had a EAA Witness but it didn't feel right and accuracy was so-so. I had a RIA and it would jam constantly with every brand of magazine I tried so I got rid of it. I have had a couple of the Kimber 1911s and they were OK and the accuracy was not bad. Our department had a couple of their .45s they were testing and they had several issues with reliability so that made me nervous enough to quit carrying them. I had a DW Commander Bobtail and carried it everyday for a long time but someone wanted it more so I sold it. Should have kept that one. I have also had a bunch of the different S&W 1000 series autos and 610 wheel guns. I am now down to my two favorite 10mms that I alternate carrying. The first is a Ruger GP100 converted to 10mm by David Clements and the other is a Sig Tacops. The Tacops does have a rail but it doesn't get in the way. It has a ramped barrel and is extremely accurate with a vast array of loads. I have put quite a few rounds down range without a hiccup. The Sig has a checkered front strap and night sights and comes with 3 excellent magazines. It doesn't have a double stack mag well but have you tried a 1911 double stack? They just don't feel right compared to the normal grip. Having said all that, I would highly recommend giving a Sig a try if you can live without the double stack.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Currently own a glock 20, Dan Wesson razorback and a sig tacops happy with them all. I use the 10 as my everyday carry gun as I live in brown bear country, carry 135 underwoods and 220 buffalo bore hardcast, change of magazine and am ready for any threat. I do require a ramped barrel, why not. SIG is latest purchase and consider it best value for the money and magazines that came with it were best ever seen!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good on ya.

Thanks WyoGal, I ordered a DW, it'll be here tomorrow. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Pacecars, seems like you've narrowed down the 10's physically like I did mentally, the Sig would have been a high contender for the single stack versions were it not for the rail, have handled them in 45 ACP, very nice, and a hell of a bargain for all you get.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, I'm going a completely different direction. Just agreed to a partial trade. Getting a S&W 610 6 1/2" N frame. No feed ramp issues, will shoot 10MM or 40 S&W. Love my 1911A1"s but with a non fluted cylinder this thing is a tank. Might even bore it out to accept 10MM Magnum.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by markak338fed
Currently own a glock 20, Dan Wesson razorback and a sig tacops happy with them all. I use the 10 as my everyday carry gun as I live in brown bear country, carry 135 underwoods and 220 buffalo bore hardcast, change of magazine and am ready for any threat. I do require a ramped barrel, why not. SIG is latest purchase and consider it best value for the money and magazines that came with it were best ever seen!

Sounds like you have a winning trifecta there, and 10-roger on the ramp, no need to chance it, I have 300 new starline cases on the way and will most likely shoot the 200 gr XTP's at 1200/1250 for everything in my DW, thankks for the tip on the Sig mags as well.

I have a 200 dollar credit at my 'smiths, I'll have him install a nice checkered stainless flat MSH with magwell and may get a nice set of custom grips.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Well, I'm going a completely different direction. Just agreed to a partial trade. Getting a S&W 610 6 1/2" N frame. No feed ramp issues, will shoot 10MM or 40 S&W. Love my 1911A1"s but with a non fluted cylinder this thing is a tank. Might even bore it out to accept 10MM Magnum.

That'll by damn work too Smith. cool

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Gunner, which DW did you order? I recently picked up a stainless V-bob .45 ACP from here on the 'Fire. I'm really impressed with it. Granted it's my first 1911 so not much experience to go on. Figured I'd get the DW and jump to the front of the '1911 snob' line. laugh

He went over yonder way
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If Sig will make a non-railed version in a Commander Nightmare carry I will be all over it and think they will sell a boatload of them

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Heeler
Gunner, which DW did you order? I recently picked up a stainless V-bob .45 ACP from here on the 'Fire. I'm really impressed with it. Granted it's my first 1911 so not much experience to go on. Figured I'd get the DW and jump to the front of the '1911 snob' line. laugh

LOL, I got a Razorback, wanted to get in on the low end and finish to suit myself, that said, 'Smith Bud installed a stainless magwell for me today, blackened the magwell with some solution, re-installed the grips, removed them, locked em in a jig then with some sort of wood mill relieved the grips for the magwell.

Treated the inside of the grips with some wood protectant sealant, re-installed the grips and I was out the door, 15 minutes tops, damn those guys have all the cool toys. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pacecars
If Sig will make a non-railed version in a Commander Nightmare carry I will be all over it and think they will sell a boatload of them

Agreed 1000% on the no rail deal Pacecars, were that the case I may have bought the Sig instead, 'Smith did get the DW to me for 1350 cash, plus he doesn't charge me that BS transfer fee.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
After I sold my Delta but was convinced I needed another 10mm for some reason this was on the list.

https://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handguns/witness-elite-stock-i-99

[Linked Image]

Or maybe a little heavier but with a single action trigger.

https://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handguns/witness-elite-stock-ii-104

[Linked Image]

I got over it just in time.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have heard those EAA's shoot really nice, I wont get over my 10mm bug, had it for a damn long spell, 'Smith drug out about a dozen 1911's he's checkered the front straps on, IIRC the nicest job featured 32 LPI, really nice, I'll work up a good 200 gr load and see where the sights hit, that will allow me to order the correct front sight height if needed when switching to night sights.

This DW is a very good feeling pistol, very tight.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
WOW!!!!! this DW Razorback is a fine shooting weapon, 8.4 grs Longshot sent the 200 gr Noslers to 10 shot av of 1244 fps in Starline cases with WLP primers, NO smileys even at the shot string high of 1269 fps, load shoots to the sights perfect, dead on poa at 20 yards.

COL at 1.260" functioned perfect in the mags, what a fun 50 shot warmup string it was! I slammed one of the rounds into a 5 gal bucket of water length ways at 15', I got wet but the jacket held to the core, would probably make a fine hog/deer bullet, have most of the last 250 round box of these 200 gr Noslers left, will compare the 200 gr XTP's later when these are gone.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dayam! Sounds good, gunner.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
WOW!!!!! this DW Razorback is a fine shooting weapon, 8.4 grs Longshot sent the 200 gr Noslers to 10 shot av of 1244 fps in Starline cases with WLP primers, NO smileys even at the shot string high of 1269 fps, load shoots to the sights perfect, dead on poa at 20 yards.

COL at 1.260" functioned perfect in the mags, what a fun 50 shot warmup string it was! I slammed one of the rounds into a 5 gal bucket of water length ways at 15', I got wet but the jacket held to the core, would probably make a fine hog/deer bullet, have most of the last 250 round box of these 200 gr Noslers left, will compare the 200 gr XTP's later when these are gone.

Sounds like a good load. I missed it earlier, standard 5" barrel or longslide? I'm guessing 5"; I use a 200gr cast hollow point load that runs right about the same from the 5" P-16 I had or the stock G20 barrel I have now. The 6.5" longslide bumps it to ~1325 fps but tames it in the hand as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had my RIA go down last week. It hung slightly out of battery and beat the chit out of the lugs. I sent it in last Wednesday and it came back today. They replaced the entire top end and let me say the fit on it now is sweet. It was always a decent shooter, but the test target measures. .625" OUTSIDE TO OUTSIDE. They did a very nice job on the rebuild. I'm tickled with their cs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Gunner, the go to Powder for max 10 mm loads is AA-9. Max loads with it are also the most accurate with all the different bullets I load for all of my 10mm's. Congrats on your new pistole!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dayam! Sounds good, gunner.

Thanks LD, she's a cool running Cadillac!

Yondering, Yes, 5" barrel, 1325 with 200's is smoking, sounds like a very serious load with the 6.5" barrel, I thought about some 200/220 hardcasts for later on.

HC, glad you got your RIA back up and running, good to hear about the excellent CS as well.

Dang CHLI, I thought I was at max power grin, what vels are you getting with AA#9 with 200's, I don't want to hammer on this 1911 too much, I never felt/heard the smack of steel on steel [no buffer] while firing my loads at 1244.

Last edited by gunner500; 05/06/17. Reason: typing in the damn dark

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
gunner, these may come in handy with stout loads.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-Recoil-Buffers-1911-Package-of-6/productinfo/2B/

You can pick them on amazon or ebay for same price or less, and with free shipping.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Smith should make the 610 again.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Gunner, the go to Powder for max 10 mm loads is AA-9. Max loads with it are also the most accurate with all the different bullets I load for all of my 10mm's. Congrats on your new pistole!

Longshot is right up there with AA9 for top 10mm loads. AA9 uses more powder, so I think it's more effective for guns with a brake, but otherwise it's user preference.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'd wan't whatever Ten I purchased to shoot 40 as well. I'm not a big Glock guy, but the G20 and G29 do that as well as any and they are certainly well-proven.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Gunner, I'm getting 1300 fps with 200 XTP HP and a max load of AA-9. It's also the most accurate powder in all my 10mm's. I'll have to give Longshot a try also. I've never tried it in anything.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/06/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Shok-Buff-Recoil-Buffers-1911-Package-of-6/productinfo/2B/

You can pick them on amazon or ebay for same price or less, and with free shipping.

Thanks LD, do these buffers inhibit reliability any at all? I'll use this 10mm for a carry gun at times.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by viking
Smith should make the 610 again.

610, Revolver or Semi?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Longshot is right up there with AA9 for top 10mm loads. AA9 uses more powder, so I think it's more effective for guns with a brake, but otherwise it's user preference.

That's what I thought too Yondering, I have around 5lbs of Longshot, and with the accuracy it gives in my gun, I best sit pat.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

610 Revolver

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Sarge, I have plenty of 40 loaded up, may give it a whirl and see

Damn CHLI, that's smoking, I wanted to safely approach max loads with this new 10mm, went to Midway and checked out the velocities on their full power 10mm ammunition for sale, guess I'm inline with Underwoods stated velocities, although I have heard their ammo can run a little faster than they say it should run.

At 1244 fps with Longshot I have no firing pin swipes on the primers, no smileys and brass lands in a nice pile about 8' right and a bit back, and for me not being a pistola hand, nice ragged 2" holes at 20 yards is a keeper for me, I can't shoot any better than that, BTW, not one single flyer in todays two mag [16 rounds] 20 yard braced target shoot, I'm sure liking this pistol, I have some 10 round Tripp mags on the way. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Interesting thing about AA#9 using more powder, I did measure my 8.4 gr load of Longshot and noticed with the long 200 gr Noslers seated to 1.260" provides plenty good enough powder compression to prevent any bullet set back in the case, something I do for ALL SD rounds, whether semi auto handgun or rifle.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The S&W 610 revolver uses "moon clips" so head space chamber length is not an issue. It will chamber the 10MM Auto without them but the extractor will not eject the spent cases. You have to poke them out one by one.. COL is limited by the length of the cylinder instead of the chamber and magazine. Velocity?? Barrel gap/forcing cone vice a closed chamber? I would guess the 6.5" barrel would compensate. I don't know of any semi auto that can shoot both 10MM and 40 S&W without a barrel change of some sort. The N frame is meant for 44 Magnum so it will take the punishment. 610's are getting to stupid prices now, but one can rebore the cylinder out longer to shot 10MM Magnum, 10mm Auto, 40 S&W.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounds complicated with the revolver bit, been wondering where my 40's would head space in the 10 chamber after reading Sarges suggestion.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No different than the many 9mm and 45ACP revolvers. The Moon Clips provide the "Rim" to headspace on, and something for the extractor to grab.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The semi's headspace is set by the chamber. As 10MM Auto is a longer case than a 40 S&W the front rim will not headspace. The round will go forward and not be hit by the firing pin. Sometimes the chamber is tight enough to "hold" the round enough for the primer to be hit without the case moving. The extractor is some semi automatics also might do this. It would not be something I would want bet my life on however.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

They're cool, but about a million dollars. lol

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The semi's headspace is set by the chamber. As 10MM Auto is a longer case than a 40 S&W the front rim will not headspace. The round will go forward and not be hit by the firing pin. Sometimes the chamber is tight enough to "hold" the round enough for the primer to be hit without the case moving. The extractor is some semi automatics also might do this. It would not be something I would want bet my life on however.

Yes, i most certainly would not run any 40 S&W ammo in a 10mm gun for SD purposes, my old P226 in 40 has been very good to me.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Damn CHLI, that's smoking, I wanted to safely approach max loads with this new 10mm, went to Midway and checked out the velocities on their full power 10mm ammunition for sale, guess I'm inline with Underwoods stated velocities, although I have heard their ammo can run a little faster than they say it should run.

At 1244 fps with Longshot I have no firing pin swipes on the primers, no smileys and brass lands in a nice pile about 8' right and a bit back, and for me not being a pistola hand, nice ragged 2" holes at 20 yards is a keeper for me, I can't shoot any better than that, BTW, not one single flyer in todays two mag [16 rounds] 20 yard braced target shoot, I'm sure liking this pistol, I have some 10 round Tripp mags on the way. smile

Sounds like you got a really good one and a keeper!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks LD, do these buffers inhibit reliability any at all? I'll use this 10mm for a carry gun at times.

gunner, for what it's worth, "experts" say don't use them in your carry pieces if you've not checked the buffers and allowed them to become worn, compressed, or frayed.

I use them because I will sometimes test the boundary of max loads, on my 1911's or any other gun. Because I don't typically carry a 1911, that is a non-issue for me here.

The main reason I use the and at least one other brand is solely to protect the hardware.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Interesting thing about AA#9 using more powder, I did measure my 8.4 gr load of Longshot and noticed with the long 200 gr Noslers seated to 1.260" provides plenty good enough powder compression to prevent any bullet set back in the case, something I do for ALL SD rounds, whether semi auto handgun or rifle.

Point of clarification - AA9 doesn't necessarily use more powder by volume, but it is very dense, and uses more powder by weight. In the 180-220gr range, it's just about the perfect burn rate vs volume for 10mm, as it'll reach max pressure with a full charge but is hard to get enough powder in the case to go too far over pressure. Granted there's always "that guy", but if you aren't compressing it like crazy, that's how it's always worked out for me.

Less powder weight with Longshot for the same loads is a good thing though, both for economy and a little less recoil since the powder mass contributes more to recoil than the bullet mass.

Looking back at my load data, I'm using 13.4gr of AA9 for a very similar load to your 8.4gr of Longshot. My load might be a tad hotter but probably not by much, but it definitely puts out more blast and a little more recoil without a brake. I use a brake on that 6.5" barrel, so AA9 makes sense there; I think the Longshot load is better in my non-braked barrel.

Just for fun, here are expansion test (wet newsprint) results with the 200gr Mihec bullet and shallow hollow point with the above AA9 load. The two larger mushrooms in the middle are the 6.5" longslide, and the one less mushroomed on the left is the stock G20 barrel. Penetration from both was very impressive; the faster load just made a bigger hole.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 05/06/17.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Sounds complicated with the revolver bit, been wondering where my 40's would head space in the 10 chamber after reading Sarges suggestion.

Don't do that with your 1911! It is OK in Glocks but is not safe in most other pistol platforms, including the 1911. The difference is in the firing pin/striker, and how far it can extend out of the breech face.
In a 1911, if a 40 S&W round jumps ahead of the striker in a 10mm chamber, the firing pin can still reach the primer. On ignition, that case gets slammed back past the extractor and into the breech face, and the primer may or may not get there first. I haven't seen a case actually blow out from this, but have seen them look pretty bad. The one pictured below is a good example. If you want to shoot 40 S&W for practice in that nice new 1911, you'll need a dedicated 40 S&W barrel to be safe.

In a Glock on the other hand, if a round jumps in front of the extractor (which I've never seen happen in my 10mm Glock BTW), the striker can't reach the primer, so the round just doesn't go off. There's no danger in blowing up the gun there, just a click. Some prefer to swap in a 40 S&W barrel anyway to be safe, but you don't have to in a Glock.

Note the missing chunk of the rim that was sheared off when getting pushed backwards into the extractor...
[Linked Image]

This shows maximum firing pin protrusion on a 1911 vs Glock. Note position of the pin tip relative to where a case would rest in front of the extractor.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 05/06/17.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Great info, thanks for your time and effort.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just to clarify... though plenty of people seem to be getting away with it, I don't recommend shooting 40 in your 10mm Glock w/o a .40 caliber conversion barrel installed,

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/07/17.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yondering are you happy with the Para 40 ? The remington 10 mm is a Para correct?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The perfect 10mm is the 41 Magnum.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yondering are you happy with the Para 40 ? The remington 10 mm is a Para correct?

I really liked it, but the durability with the cast slide just wasn't there. It eventually cracked at the ejection port, I don't know how many rounds because I wasn't the original owner. Para replaced it (very nice of them I thought!) and I sold the gun with the new top end. It was a nice pistol though, and I'd be happy to have another. Mine was the Limited version; sweet trigger and very accurate.

I'm not sure about the Remington.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Yondering, Yes, 5" barrel, 1325 with 200's is smoking, sounds like a very serious load with the 6.5" barrel, I thought about some 200/220 hardcasts for later on.

The forum won't let me edit my post above, but I shot some of those loads over the chrono again this weekend and realized I misremembered; they actually do an honest 1350 fps avg from the 6.5" longslide. Velocity from the standard barrel length is very similar to your load though.

If you're going with hard cast, I really recommend sticking with 200gr, the heavier 220 gr bullets just take up too much capacity in the 10mm and restrict it down to little more than a small bore +P .45 Auto. You'll get all the penetration you might want from a 200 anyway, and the extra velocity is a good thing. That 200gr Mihec mold I pictured above is about the best design you can get, if you can find one; you get the option of a solid WFN, or shallow or deep hollow points, to tailor the bullet for your needs.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/08/17.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Sounds like you got a really good one and a keeper!

Many Thanks CHLI, very happy to report the new 10 shot Tripp mags run flawless, feed like they should and all 5 lock the slide open when empty. cool

11 rounds of 10mm with 200's at 1244 is kinda confidence inspiring, particularly with two spare 10 rounders in a back pocket.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, no buffers LD, I believe I'm at a safe operating area and shouldn't batter the DW at these levels, will replace springs after a thousand rounds or so.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Point of clarification - AA9 doesn't necessarily use more powder by volume, but it is very dense, and uses more powder by weight. In the 180-220gr range, it's just about the perfect burn rate vs volume for 10mm, as it'll reach max pressure with a full charge but is hard to get enough powder in the case to go too far over pressure. Granted there's always "that guy", but if you aren't compressing it like crazy, that's how it's always worked out for me.

Less powder weight with Longshot for the same loads is a good thing though, both for economy and a little less recoil since the powder mass contributes more to recoil than the bullet mass.

Looking back at my load data, I'm using 13.4gr of AA9 for a very similar load to your 8.4gr of Longshot. My load might be a tad hotter but probably not by much, but it definitely puts out more blast and a little more recoil without a brake. I use a brake on that 6.5" barrel, so AA9 makes sense there; I think the Longshot load is better in my non-braked barrel.

Just for fun, here are expansion test (wet newsprint) results with the 200gr Mihec bullet and shallow hollow point with the above AA9 load. The two larger mushrooms in the middle are the 6.5" longslide, and the one less mushroomed on the left is the stock G20 barrel. Penetration from both was very impressive; the faster load just made a bigger hole.
[Linked Image]

Those would have to leave a mark, and all with no leading to boot, thanks for the pics and info about firing pin protrusion too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Just to clarify... though plenty of people seem to be getting away with it, I don't recommend shooting 40 in your 10mm Glock w/o a .40 caliber conversion barrel installed,

10-4 Sarge, no 40's will be fired in my 1911 10mm.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

The forum won't let me edit my post above, but I shot some of those loads over the chrono again this weekend and realized I misremembered; they actually do an honest 1350 fps avg from the 6.5" longslide. Velocity from the standard barrel length is very similar to your load though.

If you're going with hard cast, I really recommend sticking with 200gr, the heavier 220 gr bullets just take up too much capacity in the 10mm and restrict it down to little more than a small bore +P .45 Auto. You'll get all the penetration you might want from a 200 anyway, and the extra velocity is a good thing. That 200gr Mihec mold I pictured above is about the best design you can get, if you can find one; you get the option of a solid WFN, or shallow or deep hollow points, to tailor the bullet for your needs.

Roger on the 200's if I decide to play with hard cast flat noses, my load lands dead on top of the front sight, now I need to order a trijicon sight set the same height as the factory DW sights, let my 'Smith checker the front strap and she'll be done and ready, I really love this pistol. it's sitting right here as I type this, 11 rounds ready to rip. smile

Trump Won!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Right on. I believe Dawson will have the tritium sights you need, if you're not set on the Trijicon brand. I've been impressed with Dawson's sights.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I do love my Sig 1911 but this is the perfect 10. It is a Ruger GP100 converted to 10mm by David Clements. It uses Ranch Products Moon Clips for the S&W 646. 10mm or .40 work well
[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

A couple of months ago I gave $950 for this M610 no dash and 1800 rounds of ammo.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pacecars
I do love my Sig 1911 but this is the perfect 10. It is a Ruger GP100 converted to 10mm by David Clements. It uses Ranch Products Moon Clips for the S&W 646. 10mm or .40 work well
[Linked Image]

Clements does great work! He's built 3 Rugers for me and the next one will be the GP-100 10mm conversion like yours.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

A couple of months ago I gave $950 for this M610 no dash and 1800 rounds of ammo.

[Linked Image]

In most states, that would be a felony. grin

Last edited by local_dirt; 05/13/17.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
nice find!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Right on. I believe Dawson will have the tritium sights you need, if you're not set on the Trijicon brand. I've been impressed with Dawson's sights.

Yup, I've scoped their site out, will look at both types, Thanks! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure it's perfect, by that ria saved my bacon last week.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep, nobody can argue that. And thanks for the pics and story.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

[Linked Image]

I remember that Ed, quite a nice score there. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm not sure it's perfect, by that ria saved my bacon last week.

The understatement of the thread, for sure!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by EdM

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

[Linked Image]

Thief........

laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

LOL, this makes no sense to me, it would be akin to me going out to the shop and yanking four of the twelve or three of the ten plug wires off my V-12 MB or Dodge Viper and driving them to town, why? smile I thought the same thing when I read Sarges first post on the matter.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM

610 Revolver

10-roger Bearcat.

[Linked Image]

Thief........

laugh

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THISgrin^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 610 4" would be sweet, but so would a 41 Special in that platform, or a 657.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EAA

[Linked Image]

15 shots 15 yards

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Does the EAA have a supported chamber?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 65BR
A 610 4" would be sweet, but so would a 41 Special in that platform, or a 657.

All that said about me not wanting to shoot watered down loads in my 10mm, I still think a 45 Auto-Rim in a handy 5" barreled revolver would be fun as hell, even though their are 44 Mags, 45 Colts, and a FA 454 here.

250 gr hardcast at 1000 fps would have to be loads of fun, not to mention very effective on deer and pigs.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Fotis, good shooting, I'd hit something that ugly 15 times too. smile

Viking, IIRC the EAA's do have a ramped barrel.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
EAA is tempting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fotis, good shooting, I'd hit something that ugly 15 times too. smile

Viking, IIRC the EAA's do have a ramped barrel.
I wouldn't hit that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunner I didn't look at those links, but from what you're saying, suspect they are about shooting a .40 in a 10mm. I've never done it and don't plan to. IMO the main point is that you can shoot a 40 in a 10 and not vice-versa, just like a 44 Spec. in a 44 Mag. It just makes the 10mm platform more versatile than a straight-40. The 40 is a lot more easily obtained than the 10, although this is less the case than it used to be. Some Walmarts around here even carry 10mm...but it hasn't been too long ago this wasn't the case and there are still a lot more options with the 40.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Gunner I didn't look at those links, but from what you're saying, suspect they are about shooting a .40 in a 10mm. I've never done it and don't plan to. IMO the main point is that you can shoot a 40 in a 10 and not vice-versa, just like a 44 Spec. in a 44 Mag. It just makes the 10mm platform more versatile than a straight-40. The 40 is a lot more easily obtained than the 10, although this is less the case than it used to be. Some Walmarts around here even carry 10mm...but it hasn't been too long ago this wasn't the case and there are still a lot more options with the 40.

Yup, notwithstanding versatility, gives us enough cause and reason for more handgun purchases. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had my fill of the 10...maybe. I've owned and shot a bunch, successfully reloaded it, etc. Right now it doesn't interest me a lot. The 40 never did, but at one time everything was off the shelves around here but 40. So having resisted the cartridge for years, I got one. I've got a 40 right now because I've got a lot of 40 ammo. I never did stock up on the 10 properly, or I'd still have one of those.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm loving this DW 10mm EE, I should ask those in the know about the brass, I have already fired one bag of 100 twice, have it all reloaded again, that said my carry loads are loaded with new brass from another bag, the twice fired 10mm brass looks just fine, no smileys Buddy. cool

The 40 to me is a utility cartridge, a straight working gun, guess that's why my 40 is a 16 round P226, it has never once hinted at any sort of balk and is more than accurate for SD/CC purposes with both the 140 gr Barnes at 1250 or the 200 gr Nosler HP's at 1050, I'm no pistol hand but can't tell one bit of difference in the point of impact with either load out to 20 yards, she's a keeper too.

Trump Won!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gunner, I looked at 10mm 1911's before the G20 and didn't find what I was looking for, I was looking at a lower price point though. The Valor is a sharp looking handgun and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it!

I was a dedicated 1911 45 fan for a few decades but sold my Kimber Classic around 1998, dumb move for sure!

In reference to running 40's in a G20, I wanted to use my Glock for the CCW test and reloads were not allowed. I watched the videos and read what was available on on the subject and I was not able to make a 40 chamber in front of the extractor, so I grabbed a box of white box 40's and had no issues whatsoever so I passed on buying a 40 conversion barrel. My thought back then was to use 40's for practice because the brass is cheaper and easier to find at the range so losing a handful was a non-issue. I solved the brass problem by adding a G19 to the lineup along with 1000's of once fired brass and stocked up on 180's and 200's to run full throttle in the G20.

The black plastic fantastic's are addictive but I still want a 10mm Nightguard bad.

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, notwithstanding versatility, gives us enough cause and reason for more handgun purchases. smile

Absolutely!

Off of the 10mm subject but relative to 1911s, I just bought an all-stainless 1911. I have an all-blue and a CM/SS hybrid, the frame being SS and the slide being CM.

I justified it by saying I needed it for the transition from CM to SS to be complete....I know, getting thin, but.....

Then my Daughter says she really likes a SS slide better than CM, referring to the two-tone gun,

New Objective! (read that, Another 1911!!!). A two-tone with SS slide and CM frame.

Now, You and your 10mm thread comes along! I can relax for a while now, I have all the reasons in the world for more 1911s.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I used to carry on duty a 1911 platform chambered for 45 Super. It was a custom pistol, it had a Kart bull barrel and one heck of a recoil spring. Plus, compared to the striker fired pistols the trigger on that 45 Super was a dream. I don't foresee striker fired pistols ever equaling the pure joy of a tuned 1911 trigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is also an alternate interest...The .45 Super.

All of my 1911s have most of the right parts in place, or so I think. So far, EGW flat Firing Pin stop, 23 lb mainspring, extra power Firing pin spring. From what I understand, a pretty heavy recoil spring finishes the project.

At the risk of a minor, short hijack, what else did you use?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I started on stupid and bought a Model 29 "Dirty Harry Special". To compound my stupidity I sold that model 29. I carried it for a year before I went to the 45 Super. While my 45 Super was being built I borrowed a 686. After the 45 Super I bought my Glock 20 and finished my career with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the 29, but in the 4 inch version, started playing with H110 today, but the 10mm in a glock might be s lighter carry

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RDW
Gunner, I looked at 10mm 1911's before the G20 and didn't find what I was looking for, I was looking at a lower price point though. The Valor is a sharp looking handgun and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it!

I was a dedicated 1911 45 fan for a few decades but sold my Kimber Classic around 1998, dumb move for sure!

In reference to running 40's in a G20, I wanted to use my Glock for the CCW test and reloads were not allowed. I watched the videos and read what was available on on the subject and I was not able to make a 40 chamber in front of the extractor, so I grabbed a box of white box 40's and had no issues whatsoever so I passed on buying a 40 conversion barrel. My thought back then was to use 40's for practice because the brass is cheaper and easier to find at the range so losing a handful was a non-issue. I solved the brass problem by adding a G19 to the lineup along with 1000's of once fired brass and stocked up on 180's and 200's to run full throttle in the G20.

The black plastic fantastic's are addictive but I still want a 10mm Nightguard bad.

Thanks Dave, I got the DW Razorback, am liking the hell out of it, the reason for the RB instead of the Valor was because I have a 200 dollar credit at my 'Smiths, will use that for a nice custom front strap checkering job, he already gave me a nice stainless magwell, also, wanted to shoot the 200 gr bullets, had to make sure the load shot to point of aim with the factory sights, new going in I'd have to replace the black sights on the RB with night sights, in case I had to make sight height changes, it could be done then.

40's in a 10 could be fun practice, or if sthtf shot for defense, that said, I've been looking at a 460 Rowland conversion kit for an all steel 1911, and that's Gibbys fault. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
supercrewd, have heard plenty like the RIA's, i damn near bought a double stack 10mm.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Absolutely!

Off of the 10mm subject but relative to 1911s, I just bought an all-stainless 1911. I have an all-blue and a CM/SS hybrid, the frame being SS and the slide being CM.

I justified it by saying I needed it for the transition from CM to SS to be complete....I know, getting thin, but.....

Then my Daughter says she really likes a SS slide better than CM, referring to the two-tone gun,

New Objective! (read that, Another 1911!!!). A two-tone with SS slide and CM frame.

Now, You and your 10mm thread comes along! I can relax for a while now, I have all the reasons in the world for more 1911s.

LOL, Glad I could help Vic ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
MD, a 45 Super for a carry gun would bring plenty of peace of mind, and yessir, not only the triggers, but no other handguin points, comes into peripheral sights on target, or feels/fits my hand better, IIRC, getting the gun out and on target and firing accurately first is what it's all about.

Speaking of Dirty Harry, today I bought a 1956 year model 5 screw N frame S&W revolver with a 6.5" target barrel, grips, and trigger chambered in 45 ACP, ordered some full moon clips, 300 sticks of Starline 45 Auto Rim brass and a shellholder. grin

That damn thing is gonna be a blast, I'll shoot warm 230 gr FMJ-FP's 45 Super loads in Super brass with the moon clips and warmish 250 gr flat nosed hardcast bullets in the auto rim brass.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

All of my 1911s have most of the right parts in place, or so I think. So far, EGW flat Firing Pin stop, 23 lb mainspring, extra power Firing pin spring. From what I understand, a pretty heavy recoil spring finishes the project.

PM JWP475, he's the 1911 45 Super guru here, don't remember what all my 'Smith done to my old 1911 to make it Super proof, it was a hard shooting sombitch though.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I like the 29, but in the 4 inch version, started playing with H110 today, but the 10mm in a glock might be s lighter carry

Yup, talk about cool, my 'Smith drug out his S&W 610? in 10mm, he fires both 10mm and 40 S&W with the full moon clips, really nice stainless setup, he stated the full moon clips were the fastest speedloaders ever for revolvers, surprised the chit out of me on how quick he dumped them out of the revolver, and was reloaded and ready to go again.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

PM JWP475, he's the 1911 45 Super guru here, don't remember what all my 'Smith done to my old 1911 to make it Super proof, it was a hard shooting sombitch though.

I'll do that, thanks for the info!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You're most welcome Vic.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 69 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.