Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My .500 A2 will approach 2500 fps with 600 grain bullets, so I'd think the larger Gibbs cartridge will do something over 2600 fps with the right load. In my view, there is a very different experience shooting the 570 or 600 grain bullets at 2250 fps and at 2450 fps. That extra 200 fps adds a sharp edge to the existing very significant recoil. Since a solid pushed to 2250 fps from a .50 caliber rifle will kill any elephant on Earth from any reasonable angle, I think the only application where more velocity might be helpful is with soft points on cape buffalo, etc. Bear in mind that the Woodleigh bullets are designed for the classic .500 NE and .505 Gibbs loads at the standard factory velocity. Pushing those bullets another 400 fps faster is using them totally outside of their design parameters, so you're really on your own. If you do want fast soft points, then use GS Customs, Barnes, or CEB, etc.

BTW, the best all around powder for these big low expansion ratio cases is quite possibly H335, with Federal 215 magnum primers, of course. It's very predictable from a pressure standpoint and, in general, behaves nicely. I'm sure that you can get a little more velocity from one of the new super powders, but I think that falls into the "why bother" category. Shooting the 570 grain bullet at 2500 fps means you really have to watch where you put your feet when you squeeze the trigger. If you're the least bit off balance, you'll certainly know it.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There are other reasons why the slow powders can be less desirable in big bores. Here's my A2 pushing about 120 grains of IMR 4350 down a 23" barrel.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Syncerus; 02/01/16. Reason: bbl len
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Another Hannibal owner eh? Good rifles. I like my .500 too.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
D
D
Hello, I use mid range powders almost exclusively in my 505. RL15, 2520, 8208, Varget. Mostly with 525's but also with 600's. 5/8" backer rod (closed cell foam) filler.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi all,
OK, just a quick update, I have settled on 148gr of Retumbo with the 600gr Woodleigh PP, am yet to get my hands on some solids in that weight.
Unfortunately, my chrony stopped working at 146gr, one round at that weight registered 2284fps, I then proceeded to 148gr but the chrony didn't register any of the 3 shots.
I was a little taken aback, the velocities with this powder were quite a bit slower than I expected, the 140gr load only registered 1804fps! The primers were also backed out and rounded.
The recoil at 148gr is stiffer than I would like, but the rifle groups so well at this powder weight/velocity.

Thanks again to all those that helped me out, your info was invaluable to me getting this thing shooting right.

Cheers.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Buddy I grew up with is leaving for Zim, end of May, going after Cape Buff. He's shooting his Ruger 77, .416 Rigby, full house off hand at a hundred. He's putting most bullets in a 6" bull, the others, pretty darn close. He'll keep practicing until he leaves. He should do well.

Even as a youngster, he was known to be quite a marksman. Once a neighborhood dog came up crippled, had been shot. The owners accused this young lad of shooting their dog. Lady across the street let them know this boy didn't shoot their dog. Asked how she knew, she replied, if this boy shot your dog, it'd be dead... shocked

Sorta sums him up... cool

DF

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey all,
I measured my twist in this rifle, 5 passes told me that it has a 1:10.25" twist rate.

Do you think this fast twist could be causing my low velocities with Retumbo, or is it something unrelated?

I don't recall being asked what twist rate I wanted when I ordered this rifle, just that it was cut rifled and rust blued.

Cheers.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 416RigbyHunter
Hey all,
I measured my twist in this rifle, 5 passes told me that it has a 1:10.25" twist rate.

Do you think this fast twist could be causing my low velocities with Retumbo, or is it something unrelated?

I don't recall being asked what twist rate I wanted when I ordered this rifle, just that it was cut rifled and rust blued.

Cheers.

Twist rate will not affect velocity, that is a repeated false hood. I have a friend that works in a ballistics lab and they have tested the same load from a 14 twist to a 7 twist and it doesn't influence pressure or speed.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 416RigbyHunter
Hey all,

Cheers.

I need my ass kicked for quoting my load info [WITHOUT] referencing my load book, my 505 Gibbs loads are made up using H-4831 short cut powder, not Retumbo.

If you'll substitute Retumbo with H-4831 the speeds you seek will be there.

Very sorry for the fu-k up. mad

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Gunner, no problem with your mistake.
H4831sc is the only powder I haven't tried.
H1000 was very promising, but I ran out of it just after load testing.
RE22 is another good one, but recoil is sharp and not pleasant for me, even with a shooting pad on.
I fired 6 rounds last Thursday trying to get good chrony info @ 148gr of Retumbo and my chrony just doesn't like this cartridge, I kept getting error2 readings, then the final shot registered 2100fps, almost 200fps slower than the last velocity reading with 146gr. I am confused!

Anyways, I will persist with it, I have a big bore shoot this coming weekend and will use up what rounds I have left for it.

Cheers.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
416RH, Thanks just the same, but i messed up big time, I safely ran those 600 gr Woodleighs upwards of 2465 fps with the H-4831 powder, no over pressure problems at all in my rifle.

My loads now run 2150 fps, I gotta believe that's plenty for any game animal worldwide, my 505 is relegated to the excellent iron sights that came on the gun, I'll only use it for very big animals up close, it has killed two scoped in the past.

Your chrono is most likely giving you fits from the massive gas wave from burning 145+ grains of powder, I chronoed my 505 from 25' back, works just fine, make sure your not shooting next to a structure, or under a low roof, the gas has nowhere to go but straight into the machine if confined, also check that you have a good hot battery too.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gunner,
I got 2550fps with H4350 and those 600gr Woodleighs, but the recoil is way past my threshold. I would have to practice every day at that level and I doubt I would ever get accustomed to it.
I was happy at 2300fps, so I assume it's my chrony that's giving false info.

The battery was brand new 2 tests ago, so it should still be highly charged.
I will test again this weekend and see how I go.
I would like to re-test H1000, as the recoil was tolerable. This rifle kicks much more than my double in 500 Nitro, but it does only weigh just over 9.5 lbs with mercury recoil reducer installed. It's a bit light for me I think.

Cheers.
smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Okay, I see, thought you were never able to get the speeds you wanted, thought it was due to my bogus Retumbo load data. crazy grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gunner500
Okay, I see, thought you were never able to get the speeds you wanted, thought it was due to my bogus Retumbo load data. crazy grin

Thanks Gunner, I had a big bore shoot again this past weekend.
I managed to run the 148gr of Retumbo, it was clocking 2380fps, so a 145gr load should be somewhere around 2150-2200fps.
I also re-tried RE22 @ 144gr, the recoil was mind numbing and a fellow shooter wanted to try it and regretted it for a week. He had a concussion headache for this past week.
I think I will have to drop my charges, this rifle is way too light for these speeds, just too snappy.

Anyway, thanks again to those that helped me out, it's all falling into place, albeit slowly.

Cheers.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Buddy I grew up with is leaving for Zim, end of May, going after Cape Buff. He's shooting his Ruger 77, .416 Rigby, full house off hand at a hundred. He's putting most bullets in a 6" bull, the others, pretty darn close. He'll keep practicing until he leaves. He should do well.

Even as a youngster, he was known to be quite a marksman. Once a neighborhood dog came up crippled, had been shot. The owners accused this young lad of shooting their dog. Lady across the street let them know this boy didn't shoot their dog. Asked how she knew, she replied, if this boy shot your dog, it'd be dead... shocked

Sorta sums him up... cool

DF

Follow up on Zim buff. Just got i-phone photos, no details other than 41.5" and he used the Ruger/Rigby. He's happy.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice bull!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
He was happy with it. It is 41.5"; he said folks start gettting happy at 42". I get the feeling he's "happy" at 41.5"...

This probably should have been posted on the Africa forum, but because I had aready posted here about him and his .416 Rigby relative to shooting big guns like the .505 Gibbs, I posted it here.

His message to me under the first photo was, "Only hard men with Rigby rifles stalk the veldt in Zimbabwe".

My reply: "Bad looking buff, bad looking dude".

Think that about sums it up.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, congrats to your buddy, bet the old Rigby didn't leave him lacking, what bullet?

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
42" is a great buffalo,but I would be happy with either one of these two bulls...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by elkhunternm; 06/09/17.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nice, congrats to your buddy, bet the old Rigby didn't leave him lacking, what bullet?

400's, not sure what kind.

I know he had solids for back up.

Will get the gory details later and when I do, I'll post.

Said he "hunted hard and close, earned the buff".

Great symmetry, no broken points, good bit of drop and back sweep, good boss.

He's getting it mounted in Lake Charles by a guy who specializes in African stuff.

Shoulder mount, feet for book ends, tail for "fly swat while sippin' mint julips on the veranda".

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
270 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.