Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Here in Texas it is whitetail and axis deer with a few rabbits and the ever present armadillos. When we head north to Idaho for the summer it is whitetail, moose, bear, grouse, rabbits and turkeys. Though we have had elk on the property they tend to be gone come summer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Valsdad

But we're lucky and have both kinds of eagles!

Geno

PS, and more hawks than I can identify when driving to town.

I see bald eagles every once in a while down the Tualatin flood plain / wet lands. But they Winter here.

Lots of hawks like you said. Saw some sort of raptor flying through the trees behind the house the other day. Didn't get a good look at it before it was in the dark of the trees. Cooper's hawk, maybe? That said I've not heard the owls hooting yet.

Cooper's would be a good guess, If it was smaller like a kestrel size, it may have been a sharp-shinned, both are known for flying through trees and brushy areas looking for birds to kill.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hastings
Our cattle egrets finally showed up on April 10th. They have always heretofore arrived at the latest by March 25 every year. They are very welcome as their main diet is horse flies, grass hoppers, and army worms. When I was a kid we didn't have cattle egrets. I heard that about 40 blew in on a storm from Africa in the 1940s and they populated from that group. Do any of you folks up North have cattle egrets?

Hastings,

I've seen them in N Cali, S Oregon and the references I have show them going up as far as S Canada "rarely". Don't think I've seen any myself up here in S WA/N OR, but that just means I haven't been out enough.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In response to Hastings: I have observed cattle egrets along the west shore on Green Bay in WI.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Working from home today and just saw something blast past the window. Went out to look.

Violet-green swallows back.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Those are cool Steve, pretty too.

Haven't seen our barn or cliff swallows yet and haven't been downriver where the sandbanks are to see any bank swallows either. Should be here soon tho.

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.