24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put it on paper. It takes 5 points to draw a Bosque de Oso spring tag. I'll have a $100 just in application fees. Better for me just to buy a NR KS or NM tag and get to hunt for 2 birds.

Your correct it may backfire & they have less money than they have now. There is the law of diminishing returns.

Last edited by colorado bob; 04/19/17.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Does the DOW ever publish how much money in license fees are generated each year? It would be interesting to see how much money is coming in through license fees (broken up resident vs non-resident)!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found myself taking advantage of some of the opportunities in surrounding states. I'm not quitting Colorado hunting but increasingly I've found one to two week periods during fall where the surrounding state license opportunities are better.

Last edited by Alamosa; 04/19/17. Reason: can't spell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sako76
Does the DOW ever publish how much money in license fees are generated each year? It would be interesting to see how much money is coming in through license fees (broken up resident vs non-resident)!

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/About/Reports/StatewideFactSheet.pdf
$107.4 million in license fees. Looks like the biggest budget expenses are personnel. Probably need to reduce headcount like so many private companies have had to do.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
30338--thanks for the info!

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Man, I wish my income would go up by 50% to keep up with inflation

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I sent Colorado over 2k in application fees 3 weeks ago so for me to think non residents are getting by cheap.....no

I agree with you Ted.I was against the big rise in NR licenses

As a non resident of you apply for everything in New Mexico except Barbary sheep and javalina its $8000

Colorado is very reasonable for non residents

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As a resident hunter, adding up the cost of tags vs the cost of everything else, an increase doesn't bother me.

How CP&W spends the money is an entirely different subject but I have to say, I don't have enough information to comment on that so I won't.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
As a resident hunter, adding up the cost of tags vs the cost of everything else, an increase doesn't bother me.

How CP&W spends the money is an entirely different subject but I have to say, I don't have enough information to comment on that so I won't.

I agree

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I agree

If it was only an increase in the tags it wouldn't be so bad, but tack another $20 for the application fee,another $5 for the Habitat Stamp( which I don't have to pay) and compound the increase of all tag fees for deer, pronghorn,elk turkey, bear, fishing, park fees ,user fees and it is a substantial hit to the pocket book.Maybe not to some but it sure is for me.Couple that with all the other small increases that the government, local,state, federal gets into the pocket book each year and I am seeing an increase of a few thousand dollars a year. Many of us will be forced to decide which big game hunts we will no longer participate in.

The CPW commissioners are appointed by the governor.Most of them are great folks, but those dozen members will decide how much/when these fee increases will take place. I am pretty sure they will be looking out for the CPW and not the consumer.

It's like the guy saying premium bullets are such a small part of the cost of the hunt,it doesn't matter. All those small parts add up.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are sending 6% of their funds to other agencies. So that is probably not helping either.

I'd be very comfortable saying that any gov agency could benefit from some cost cutting initiatives. So for example. All of the residents and non-residents who sent in money for just a preference point, no desire to draw a tag at all. Why have them send in the entire amount? That is forcing the DOW to cut checks and mail all of those back out again. Send in the amount of the point only like other states are already doing.

And another. Don't send out the hundreds of thousands of paper big game brochures. I have 4 people at my place who apply for tags. Each year we get 4 big game brochures and 4 sheep and goat brochures. Make that luxury something that you have to request if you aren't capable of looking at it online. That alone would save millions between print costs and postage costs.

Its just another inept gov bureaucracy but in this case they know that instead of raising taxes, all they have to do is raise license fees and that will solve their financial incompetence for a few more years.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How much do they spend on brochures? I have no idea.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How much do they spend on brochures? I have no idea.

Smokepole, just another sign that the 'good old days' are fading away for some of us.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Montgomery Wards and Sears used to print really big catalogs back in the day. Don't see those so much anymore. I do a lot of direct mail work and those big game brochures would add up to a lot of postage funds going out the door.

No big deal, just raise fees and keep doing things the way they always have done them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
I do a lot of direct mail work.....

So you're the guy responsible for all my junk mail? grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore

If it was only an increase in the tags it wouldn't be so bad, but tack another $20 for the application fee,another $5 for the Habitat Stamp( which I don't have to pay) and compound the increase of all tag fees for deer, pronghorn,elk turkey, bear, fishing, park fees ,user fees and it is a substantial hit to the pocket book.Maybe not to some but it sure is for me.Couple that with all the other small increases that the government, local,state, federal gets into the pocket book each year and I am seeing an increase of a few thousand dollars a year. Many of us will be forced to decide which big game hunts we will no longer participate in.

The CPW commissioners are appointed by the governor.Most of them are great folks, but those dozen members will decide how much/when these fee increases will take place. I am pretty sure they will be looking out for the CPW and not the consumer.

It's like the guy saying premium bullets are such a small part of the cost of the hunt,it doesn't matter. All those small parts add up.

I can't agree more with what you said, Saddlesore. For those of us that put in for multiple animals, that increase in application fees will add up. Put an increase on the license fees and it becomes too much. The fishermen buy one license and are done. Hunters that hunt multiple species end up footing the bill for everyone else. I think maybe CPW ought to look at cutting back to fit within the budget they have. Or else make every person that hikes our trails or enters parks or recreation areas pay a fee. Otherwise, the commissioners are going to be increasing the license and application fees every few years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Raise the price, spend more, raise the price, spend more.

.gov never cuts budgets. CPW has new trucks to pay for, ya know.

Though it is funny when non residents bitch and moan like their opinion should matter.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I would like to know why CPW is in the business of owning lakes, land and such that they have to maintain.They should be administering the wildlife/fishery and the state should own that land or lake. Just like Lake Pueblo.The dam is federal I believe. Antero is owned by the city of Denver. The repair cost of some of these dams is outstanding.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm a non-resident, I will buy a bull tag, cow tag and deer tag costing me about $1500. I have a choice, pay it and hunt or don't pay it and don't hunt, I choose to pay it. The same resident tags cost around $130 dollars. Just don't tell me I'm getting a bargain!

Last edited by Sako76; 04/22/17.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.