Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looking for recommendations for gunsmith to re barrel my Savage 99. What has been your experience?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My experience is the guys here get real uptight about it.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I do all my own gun work. I wish I knew someone to recommend.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not knowing what you are starting with or what you are making... might try Googling Nevada gunsmiths and see what turns up.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My experience is the guys here get real uptight about it.

C'mon Roy, stop tryin' to stir the pot. Your comment is way off base.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Is it? This is a collectors forum, where originality is valued first and condition second. Non-original guns while interesting and useful get plenty of raised hackles here. Some guys get very bent out of shape about it. "The end of the collector's forum" was one recent comment. Dr. Frankenstein another. If my memory was better than 45 seconds or so, I could remember many more. I'm not stirring any pot, I'm simply telling it like it is. They weren't my comments, just what I read written by others. Collectors don't appreciate barrel swapping, wood swapping, drilling holes, refinishing wood or metal, etc.

While some appreciate their usefulness, true collectors do not appreciate them or their influence on this forum.

No pot stirring at all, just the facts.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
times change..post-mil square threads transition rifles are the new hot item! wink

And you'll never know you if have one without removing the barrel.

Still, changing an intact original 99, of any vintage, does a disservice to the beautifully designed rifles we all cherish. So choose a molested junker to start with, it doesn't take that much work to tune up a beat 99.

Yet.., We have Savage factory "prototypes" that are obviously molested in the name of research, and we respect their efforts. And Bill Ruger, who absolutely wrecked a 99 creating his first semi-automatic rifle (of All thing!!)

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/7/18/the-first-ruger/

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We have a member here (CTW), who's building a new service for re-barreling 99's. I'm sending one his way as we speak.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11973651/Re:_219_Zipper

JeffG
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I came on to a savage action without stock or forend. Sights are gone. The barrel is badly pitted, the receiver is actually not bad on the outside but needs a little work. Hoping to piece together a nice hunting rifle, and a pretty rifle along the way as it is not much use other than parting out. I thought it would be nice to have a nice grade of walnut and re barrled in 300 Savage. I own 2 other 99's that are orginal and are going to stay that way. Also love orginal Winchester Model 12's and 97's, so I understand the views of collectors. Didn't mean to offend anyone, just want to bring an old rifle back to life.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
An admirable undertaking. Do keep us informed as it progresses, with lots of photos if you would. We like photographs.

Jeff, I wasn't aware that Chris was gearing up to do Savage barrels "for the trade". Chris, if you're following this, please chime in. I'll betcha there are several guys here who would fill your pockets with filthy lucre to have 99's re-barreled.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As for the philosophical debate over originality at all costs versus customization, it's all good. Both approaches foster a greater understanding of a unique American gun design, and are not mutually exclusive in terms of stirring up passion for the 99. Everybody brings something to the party.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Switch, if you are planning on doing a 300 Savage, I suspect it will be cheaper in the long run to pick up a factory barrel, albeit used, most hunting rifles have pretty low miles on the barrels.

In my humble opinion It's all about nice wood!

JeffG
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was also thinking 250 Savage W/ 1 in 10 twist. Rifle came from a Nevada ranch, probably spent most of its life in a saddle scabbard, and used as a tool to harvest a couple of truck loads of big Mules. I'll keep you informed with pictures as soon as I get around to learning how to post them

S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Probably a few lamb killing coyotes along the way.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You have to take this on a case by case basis. I just had the barrel shortened on a 1957 vintage 99F 308 that was in above average condition except that the barrel had a bulge behind the rear sight and a ring around the bore. The wood was really good and I swapped it to a 99F 250-3000 that had a recoil pad and battered wood. I'm in the process of changing the 308 into a straight stock with a straight lever. If you have a rifle like switch's there is nothing wrong with resurrecting it. I have a really rough first year production short rifle (?) that came from the Sweetwater Sheriff's department with brown paper glued to the stock with the name of the guy they took it from in the 1950's. I would never molest this rifle even though it is UGLY! It has some serious history. I am adamantly against "restoring" original well worn rifles. They are still collectable even if they are well worn. They are actually more interesting than pristine rifles. It makes me wonder what the story is on them.
Just thoughts from someone who considers himself a serious collector. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
You have to take this on a case by case basis. David

Respectfully David, while some may view the salvage of a damaged Savage a noble cause, it has no place on a collectors forum. There are other websites where Savage modifications are talked about more freely, one of them would be better for this topic. Listening to the long time posters that are left, it sounds like the inclusion of project rifles has upset the focus of the forum and caused the loss of many of it's most valued members.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I certainly qualify as a long time poster and I don't share that opinion at all. I find most of the shared info here to be quite interesting. As long as people remain civil I don't care what they bring here.

I do hate the trolls though...

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I take that to heart Roy, being one of the biggest offenders of sharing project guns, and I'm saddened to think it's so. The wealth of knowledge and experience here is second to none, and it would be a shame to lose even the smallest bit to anger or frustration.

But, in defense of tolerating the internet blather, it is contingent on the old guard collectors to grow the next generation of collectors, by sharing, teaching, and spreading their enthusiasm for these special rifles. ..if not, then all they have gained is simply self-indulgence.

I vote for sharing the enthusiasm, not the elitism.

Last edited by JeffG; 04/21/17.

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Some day I'll have a 270 Titus, even if I have to make the darn thing, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While I dislike seeing a collectible rifle in its original condition modified, I recognize that whoever owns the rifle gets to decide what happens to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.