Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
No more plastika for me at least with handguns. 1911 or Revolver.
Why not?

nothing to do with function at all, it is just a personal thing. In my mind they are disposable

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS x 1,000^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only autos I own are S&Ws made between 1964-2000, and not one has plastic in it. Being 56 years old, plastic way back when had a bad connotation to it; like when they started making dashboards out of plastic for autos. YUCK! I guess that has been with me forever and I cannot abide a plastic handgun, for me it says "disposable" when it cracks in an odd place.

Ken
BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a Shield .40 and a Glock 23 . No flies on either one but I still prefer old school stuff. Going to buy another 1911 on Sunday.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
No more plastika for me at least with handguns. 1911 or Revolver.
Why not?

nothing to do with function at all, it is just a personal thing. In my mind they are disposable

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS x 1,000^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only autos I own are S&Ws made between 1964-2000, and not one has plastic in it. Being 56 years old, plastic way back when had a bad connotation to it; like when they started making dashboards out of plastic for autos. YUCK! I guess that has been with me forever and I cannot abide a plastic handgun, for me it says "disposable" when it cracks in an odd place.

I view "plastic" guns similarly, but for a different reason. To my mind, and eye, polymer pistols have no "soul." Their history is not the history of fine hand-work, the work of men long-trained and expert in arms manufacturing, but instead is a story of the triumph of materials science and lean-manufacturing. Good things to be sure, but not fine things.

Polymer guns make wonderful tools--and I own several, and regard them as tools the way I regard a particularly efficient dishwasher or garage door opener--but they do not move me in the slightest. I have no sentiment for them, the way I feel when I see a S&W Registered Magnum or a Colt Shooting Master. Some say there is no place for sentiment in the firearms world. I feel sorry for those people.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, my last one was a S&W Model 53..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Finally got to lay my hands on the new Ruger GP100 in .44 special today and really liked it!

And yes, I'll be adding one to my arsenal soon! grin

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/21/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I was in Bass Pro tonight in Round Rock. They had very very few revolvers compared to autos, sad.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My carry gun is the Ruger LCR in .357. When hunting it's the Ruger 4" in .44. I would have to say the younger generation is going with the autos. I base this on my boy and his friends, They are all ex-military so that might have something to do with it.
Mike

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by skitish
My carry gun is the Ruger LCR in .357. When hunting it's the Ruger 4" in .44. I would have to say the younger generation is going with the autos. I base this on my boy and his friends, They are all ex-military so that might have something to do with it.
Mike

FIrepower and massive amounts of it, they see what 14 rounds opposed to 6 will do.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I somewhat agree with the those Revolver Lovers. The thought of owning an old well-made six shooter is more appealing to a lot of handgun owner's, myself included. That being said, I only own one and it's a .22 WMR that I use for rodent control around the house. It's fun to shoot with .22 shotshells and it does the job on Chipmunks and squirrels. That is the only Revolver I own because my other handguns are for personal protection and I want a tool that's meant for the job. I like the fact that I can pull the trigger 13 times without reloading. Gives me a little more sense of security plastic or not, than facing three robber's breaking in my house with a six-shooter. But as I said, I don't see anything wrong with being enamored with a revolver.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Speaking of Plastic. Has anyone had a Composite-Frame pistol break on you? I have several and I put hundreds of rounds through them without any sign of structural damage. Maybe a scratch or two, but nothing substantial.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rondrews
Speaking of Plastic. Has anyone had a Composite-Frame pistol break on you? I have several and I put hundreds of rounds through them without any sign of structural damage. Maybe a scratch or two, but nothing substantial.

I have never seen one break.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
I was in Bass Pro tonight in Round Rock. They had very very few revolvers compared to autos, sad.
A popular gun store near me has only one small side counter with revolvers in it. The main counter, five times longer, is filled with autos of various makes and models.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rondrews

I have never seen one break.
Nope.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Watch4bear: I am still buying revolvers (along with a few select semi-autos).
But I am concentrating on "investment" revolvers as opposed to revolvers I intend to shoot (I have enough "shootable" revolvers to last three lifetimes!).
I have been amazed over the last several years as to the appreciation in value of both Colt and Smith & Wesson (not the recent "trigger lock models"!) revolvers!
Albeit the "market" of recent in new semi-auto offerings has most of the market at retail outlets - the "older" revolvers made by Smith & Wesson and Colt are now a better "investment"!
So at this time that's my main interest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oregon45

I view "plastic" guns similarly, but for a different reason. To my mind, and eye, polymer pistols have no "soul." Their history is not the history of fine hand-work, the work of men long-trained and expert in arms manufacturing, but instead is a story of the triumph of materials science and lean-manufacturing. Good things to be sure, but not fine things.

Polymer guns make wonderful tools--and I own several, and regard them as tools the way I regard a particularly efficient dishwasher or garage door opener--but they do not move me in the slightest. I have no sentiment for them, the way I feel when I see a S&W Registered Magnum or a Colt Shooting Master. Some say there is no place for sentiment in the firearms world. I feel sorry for those people.

You covered my thoughts on the matter better than I would have said it myself.
My revolver to pistol ratio is 5:1 and I don't own any polymer handguns.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I have been amazed over the last several years as to the appreciation in value of both Colt and Smith & Wesson (not the recent "trigger lock models"!) revolvers!

Yep! Been buying up Pre-Lock, Pre-MIM, Pinned Barreled Smith & Wessons. Most of my collection consists of Model 19's (one of the finest revolvers made), but I also have a soft spot for the Model 25-5 in .45 Colt. My most recent acquisition (which has yet to arrive) is a 5 screw K-38 Masterpiece made in 1954, which will be put to good use shooting wadcutters.

Don

Last edited by USSR1991; 04/23/17.

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
S&W K22 & K38, both 1947 vintage:

[Linked Image]

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would like to have one of those some day. They are just so darn expensive when I find them here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
USSR1991: I had to finally look up (Google!) what "MIM" means.

Definitions: Acronym Definition; MIM: Metal Injection Molding: MIM: Mendelian Inheritance in Man: MIM: Man in the Middle: MIM: Multilateral Initiative on Malaria: MIM: Metal ...

I am assuming that the "MIM" you refer to in your post ("Pre-MIM Smith's) has something to do with the Google optional definition "Metal Injection Molding"?
How do I tell which type parts are in prospective Smith & Wesson revolvers I may come across?
Is there a date of manufacture cut/off or start up for me to look for?
Congratulations on the latest acquisition of the K-38 Masterpiece!
I remember as a young policeman trying for 5 years to get to "Expert" class in my departments quarterly qualifications thus allowing me to "trade up" from a Smith & Wesson Model 10 to a Smith & Wesson Model 14 (K-38 Target Masterpiece) there in the early 1970's.
I foolishly turned that fine pistol back in to the department for a Smith & Wesson Model 66 several years later!
I am guessing I put at least 10,000 rounds of quality wadcutter ammunition through that K-38 in quarterly qualifications, practice and some Varmint and Grouse Hunting.
Fine pistol it was - enjoy yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
USSR1991: I had to finally look up (Google!) what "MIM" means.

Definitions: Acronym Definition; MIM: Metal Injection Molding: MIM: Mendelian Inheritance in Man: MIM: Man in the Middle: MIM: Multilateral Initiative on Malaria: MIM: Metal ...

I am assuming that the "MIM" you refer to in your post ("Pre-MIM Smith's) has something to do with the Google optional definition "Metal Injection Molding"?
How do I tell which type parts are in prospective Smith & Wesson revolvers I may come across?
Is there a date of manufacture cut/off or start up for me to look for?
Congratulations on the latest acquisition of the K-38 Masterpiece!
I remember as a young policeman trying for 5 years to get to "Expert" class in my departments quarterly qualifications thus allowing me to "trade up" from a Smith & Wesson Model 10 to a Smith & Wesson Model 14 (K-38 Target Masterpiece) there in the early 1970's.
I foolishly turned that fine pistol back in to the department for a Smith & Wesson Model 66 several years later!
I am guessing I put at least 10,000 rounds of quality wadcutter ammunition through that K-38 in quarterly qualifications, practice and some Varmint and Grouse Hunting.
Fine pistol it was - enjoy yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Some time in the 1990s they switched to MIM for the trigger, sear, hammer. They have a very different look. One key to tell with blued guns is that pre-MIM parts were color case hardened. Easy to tell with stainless, too, but I don't know how to convey it to you in writing.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
278 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.